Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 10:16 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...eek/ar-AARzDfT ( rogressives in Congress are lining up behind a bill that would shrink a regular week of work from 40 hours to 32 — bringing the four-day work week to America.

The Congressional Progressive Caucus just endorsed the aptly named "32-Hour Workweek Act," according to a statement from Rep. Mark Takano, the Democrat representing California's 41st district. The caucus, comprised of nearly 100 legislators, is a key progressive voice and has made its power known during recent infrastructure negotiations) MY OP what a bunch of morons )
I work 4 10's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 10:17 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I try to do four 10 hour days with my business. Im spending less time with employee getting setup/packing up. They get another day to do their stuff.
great solution.

3,048 posts, read 1,153,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I've looked twice, and nowhere in that otherwise link-filled article do I see a link to the actual bill filed. Color me shocked.

The links I DID click and read were all written by journalists without an economics background, most of whom are classic Millenials who've never reported for a 9-5 job anyway.

"Wages have gone down for 5 decades" is BS - it's based on wages as a % of GDP. We're much more efficient and productive and use non-labor to produce goods than we did in the 1950's (when the decline began). Furthermore, their own chart shows that wages by their measure rose over the last 5 years.

They talk about countries experimenting with a shorter week, and finding no change in productivity .... errr, every place that does this is using GOVERNMENT jobs. And as someone who had a government job 30 years ago, I can assure you there's plenty of lollygagging - even institutionalized - in government office jobs.

Jayapal? She worked 2 years in the LBO area of PaineWebber as an analyst, and then less than a year in sales before becoming an activist.

Takano? He was a school teacher for 12 years, other than his political advocacy roles.
What a weird and dismissive thing to write. Are you referring to journalists or Millennials in general?

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Off the top of my head:

Add to inflation because businesses will have to hire more people or pay more overtime to get the same work done.

For those who rely on 40 hours wages they may have a harder time surviving on 32 hours.
They will demand the Employer pay the 40 hour rate for working 32 hours.

Just knock it down to 30 and just call everyone part time. Then you can kill their paid for Insurance.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:19 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I work 4 10's
Great idea to let the Company and Employee work out what's best

Who would have ever thought of that.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:21 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
if a person wants to work part-time, less than 40 hours a week, there are already jobs available in america that offer 4 days or less per week such as nurses and firefighters.
My daughter as a nurse works 12 hour shifts, so that would be more then 40 hours.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Full time in some places is considered 37.5 hours a week; Teachers don't work 40 hours a week every month of the year - the point here is those salaries are not "cut". Gross salary stays the same while the hourly rate likely goes up.

There are many studies that show the reduced work week can increase productivity. Many other countries (and believe me, I don't like using other countries as examples of anything for the US) already offer more vacation and other time off for employees - their productivity hasn't necessarily decreased.

I'm not convinced this couldn't work.
with many studies, should be easy to link the most recent exhaustive study. Especially one that says it INCREASES productivity. (Now, in LordSquidworth's example, it WOULD actually increase productivity).

When we're looking at other countries, let's see if it's private employers or public, and whether their GDP/capita has increased or not; whether real wages are rising or not, etc.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:23 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...eek/ar-AARzDfT ( rogressives in Congress are lining up behind a bill that would shrink a regular week of work from 40 hours to 32 — bringing the four-day work week to America.

The Congressional Progressive Caucus just endorsed the aptly named "32-Hour Workweek Act," according to a statement from Rep. Mark Takano, the Democrat representing California's 41st district. The caucus, comprised of nearly 100 legislators, is a key progressive voice and has made its power known during recent infrastructure negotiations) MY OP what a bunch of morons )
Crap-

If it's only a four day work week, then I'll have to work 18 hours a day to get all my patients seen.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:27 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
So they think it would be a GOOD thing for all working Americans to take a 20% pay cut? Because that would be the end result here.
Wow. You must live in TX because you don't seem to understand Progressives. No, they don't expect all working Americans to take a 20% pay cut, they expect them to get PAID THE SAME AS 40 HOURS for doing 20% less work. If you see those moving vans from CA arriving in TX be very afraid.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
What a weird and dismissive thing to write. Are you referring to journalists or Millennials in general?
the journalists, not all Millenials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies