Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 06:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Irregardless, there are 3/10 of Whites not preforming, and 1/10 of Hispanics are. It makes no sense to target the group this way. The school should be concerned with all low performing students.

If they identify a large barrier is none-english literacy in the Hispanics, set up programs addressing this, where all students can use regardless of their origins. Perhaps some White students are from other countries and also don't have English as a mother tongue? Maybe some asians, and they can benefit.

But what you're doing is giving one race/national origin preferential treatment.
And that's what we do, as a society. We help those who are struggling.

We don't send food stamps to people who live in richville. We don't pay for housing for folks who already own very nice houses. We don't offer subsidized special transit busses to people who are completely mobile and capable of driving. We don't bring meals on wheels to your office party.

And on and on.

(And I think you misunderstand the rating system. 7/10 doesn't mean 7 white kids out of 10 are doing well academically. It means the white population is doing better academically than 70 percent of other students in the state. And in 1/10, the hispanic group - no kids are doing worse than them in the state. And that's an enormous parameter. Statistically in the state, this group of hispanic kids who are surrounded by very successful white peers, are at the very very bottom of the barrel as far as learning).

How anyone could begrudge this population of children who is not succeeding at ALL in this school, one afternoon a month with their families in the school playground after school, is unfathomable to me. Why so petty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 06:10 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
They should single out all low preforming students, regardless of race, and see what can be done.

I gave an example of a White/Asian school doing it. I cannot imagine 'moderate' Clara would be so fine with it.
I'm guessing who wouldn't be fine with it is elite white CA parents being told they were not doing as good a job at parenting as the parents of some Asians from some countries lol.

Asians are not a monolithic group as they come from lots of different countries for lots of different reasons depending when they came here. As a minority group they have the largest income disparity of any group between the top 10% and the rest of their group. The performance of the top 10% totally skews the performance of the whole group.

Additionally, over 70% of them are first generation immigrants which is very different from the African American, white population and probably even Hispanics.

We should probably all be demanding that the education systems and cultural values of this top ten% of Asians be studied and applied as appropriate to our systems.

But, Asian Americans as a model minority is a myth that is only supported by the most successful 10 %
in their group.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:14 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No. No segregated schools.

Separate is never equal.

But you CAN offer social gatherings for different communities. Just as communities have historically had activities just for girls and just for boys, just for lower grades and just for upper grades, etc.
So we shouldn't have segregated schools, but we should have segregated parent socialization nights? I dunno. It's sounds like you're splitting hairs to me.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:16 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not going to get into a snit about this.

Here's what I know.

If you have an entrenched population of white women running the extra curriculars (I am one, and did that, along with my friends who all look just like me), parents of color will be hesitant to join in. Won't feel as welcome.

What we had to do was reach out to the very large but newly arrived asian population in our school district, and specifically ask people we encountered would they serve as ____ cochair. If you get SOME people who represent the group, you'll get more join in, and the parent leadership will represent the students.

Additionally, if you need to staff the saturday carnival, and you're given a list of parents in your kids class to serve, it's much easier to look down the list, see 4 of your friends, and call them. Easier than seeing the parent list and not knowing which name is the mother and which is the father, or how to pronounce them, and so declining to call and invite them.

I don't know what's going on here specifically, but this school appears to be about half asian, 30% white, and blacks and hispanics way down in the noise.

I would guess, don't know, that this may be an effort to reach out to Asians who are often hesitant to step forward and get involved if they don't feel individually invited.
It’s called racism and according to an expert Colorado, unconstitutional.

Quote:
University of Denver law professor
points out that this is illegal under the Colorado Constitution.

Twitter
@davekopel” In violation of Colo. Const. art. IX, sec. 8: "nor shall any distinction or classification of pupils be made on account of race or color.“
The dipshi* who came up with this idea is the schools “Dean of Culture”. Is this even a real job? I mean if this is the type of programs the “Dean of Culture” comes up with, the district should think about eliminating the positions. Sounds like a waste of money.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with segregated spaces whether it's by race or gender as long as it is voluntary.

We still have women's colleges in this country and they are advantageous to women because they teach women to be leaders without the xtra burden of dealing with men who have been socialized to shut down women's voices or speak over them.

White people have plenty of playground space in this country. Not like the white community in this city is being deprived of something.

This outrage is all a bunch of white fragility whining. If the POC community feels differently then it's up to them to address.
It’s unconstitutional.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Presumably, because the white parents don't feel the need for something like that.

The only white people that care about this are racist conservatives or possibly uninformed people who dont understand that they are being led by the nose to be outraged.
The only people that seem to be defending this unconstitutional behavior are racist liberals.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So we shouldn't have segregated schools, but we should have segregated parent socialization nights? I dunno. It's sounds like you're splitting hairs to me.
If I'm a community member, and seeing half the kids in that school woefully unprepared to go on to middle school - functioning at the lowest level measurable - I don't believe I'd object in the slightest if they had playground nights every damn afternoon, if it was seen to be a possible way to boost success.

And if I were sending my child to this school, I'd be not happy that half the student population wasn't functioning. That's a DRAG on the entire system, on every classroom.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:28 PM

6,667 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with segregated spaces whether it's by race or gender as long as it is voluntary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
It’s unconstitutional.

Yeah,..I'm not getting that either. Maybe it's the wording?

Didn't we have a Civil Rights movement to outlaw segregation?

Segregated Restaurants, water fountains,..etc,..

Did we come full circle to it being desirable now!?

Old 12-15-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
The only people that seem to be defending this unconstitutional behavior are racist liberals.
Looks to me the only people griping about this system don't really care all that much if half the school is failing, just so long as no one except their kids are offered support.

It's not racist to look at those numbers, and see that one community is succeeding and one is failing miserably. To not notice a disparity is just . . . an inability to process reality.

But you, I guess, want to ignore it just so no one can get any consideration except your team.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Yeah,..I'm not getting that either. Maybe it's the wording?

Didn't we have a Civil Rights movement to outlaw segregation?

Segregated Restaurants, water fountains,..etc,..

Did we come full circle to it being desirable now!?
That was enforced segregation.

I don't think the school is rounding up all the students of color and forcing them onto the playground.

Nor is there any indication that school resource officers would be called to haul off the white kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies