Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 10:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
She's actually been reassigned to other duties within the school. Just not in class with students.

Note that she has basically admitted that she is doing this on purpose (making a spectacle of herself and her case) in order to challenge the law.

The school board may actually be in on the cause célèbre as well.
Yes she was removed from her position and reassigned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 06:17 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I just find it to be a slippery slope when government bans a person from wearing a religious garment or symbol. It seems like something that can be easily abused.

But I guess now that government is forcing people to wear face coverings and take vaccine injections, people don't really own their bodies anyway. All these fine details about 'rights' are interesting debates we had before Covid.
You're barking up the wrong tree with me if you're looking to make this drift towards vaccine mandates.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Are there any Roman Catholic/Church of England nuns still wearing full habit?
Very few these days, I take it.

Though in most cases a pretty visible cross or some other sign is still worn. This is also prohibited by this law for public employees in positions of authority.

If they can, many religions do like to have their beliefs on public display, either via some type of symbol or clothing worn by their "personnel" or even "the flock", or in other ways like having a tall steeple towering over a town, the ringing of the bells, or the call to prayer from a muezzin in a minaret.

Over time, all of this stuff has proven to be pretty effective "marketing" for them.

And in case you were going there, I and also many Muslims would pretty strongly disagree with the notion than in order to be a "good Muslim" a woman needs to cover up her hair (or face) to hide it from the male gaze and not provoke the opposite sex.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:36 AM

1,941 posts, read 827,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"Everyone" only in the Province of Quebec which used a "notwithstanding" clause to enact it, in spite of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Quebec can use the "Not Withstanding" clause because they have special status.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:38 AM

1,941 posts, read 827,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I guess freedom of religion isn't a thing in Quebec?
The teacher can wear her hijab, just not in government facilities.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:41 AM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
It’s a weird law - I’m generally for less laws/more liberty - so I wouldn’t have supported enacting such a law.

However, that is their law and she ran afoul of it. So...yeah.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
Quebec can use the "Not Withstanding" clause because they have special status.
No. Any province in Canada can use the notwithstanding clause, as can the federal government. It wasn't even put in the Constitution at Quebec's request, but rather at the insistence of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Quebec doesn't really have special status, at least not legally. Though it arguably does in a de facto way, for certain things.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s a weird law - I’m generally for less laws/more liberty - so I wouldn’t have supported enacting such a law.

However, that is their law and she ran afoul of it. So...yeah.
She's deliberately trying to challenge the law, make herself a symbol and trigger a public crapstorm.

She even said so herself.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
What could the purpose of this action possibly be, except to bar Muslims from positions of authority and respect?

According to the article, this was passed in 2019.

Other than people being irritated/frightened that Muslims are doing well, why bar them from succeeding?

And anyone who says well, they can just wear their hijab privately but not when out in public. No, they can't. Exactly the opposite.

If you're going to pass a law like this, and defend it, best to just own it. They are afraid of the growing Muslim population and want to nip it in the bud. Make their community unwelcoming, so hopefully the Muslims will go away.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
She's deliberately trying to challenge the law, make herself a symbol and trigger a public crapstorm.

She even said so herself.
Well, somebody has to. That's how change occurs. Someone steps forward and challenges the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies