Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 08:14 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, somebody has to. That's how change occurs. Someone steps forward and challenges the status quo.
Of course she has the right to do this if she wishes.

In terms of "status quo"... I suppose that's true as "status quo" refers to what's in place right now.

The background is this:

The law was only passed in 2019.

Prior to that, Quebec had been on a clear (some would say hell-bent) path to secularism since the 1960s. After being effectively a priest-ridden society for a couple of centuries.

There has been a debate here for just over 10 years about religion slowly and subtly creeping back into public life and institutions. Basically a reversal of the trend that we'd been seeing for about five decades.

This was mostly symbolized by increasing requests for religious accommodation and exceptions. I.e. these rules apply to everyone but we don't think they should apply to us because... religion, and religion gives us a free pass for (almost) everything.

And so this law is meant as a line in the sand to make things clear that while religious freedom does exist here (we're probably still in the top rung in the world), it's not going to be a free pass that always can get you out of everything you don't like.

I understand that this might offend multiculturalist Anglosphere sensibilities, but at least now you have the genesis and rationale for these measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 08:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Of course she has the right to do this if she wishes.

In terms of "status quo"... I suppose that's true as "status quo" refers to what's in place right now.

The background is this:

The law was only passed in 2019.

Prior to that, Quebec had been on a clear (some would say hell-bent) path to secularism since the 1960s. After being effectively a priest-ridden society for a couple of centuries.

There has been a debate here for just over 10 years about religion slowly and subtly creeping back into public life and institutions. Basically a reversal of the trend that we'd been seeing for about five decades.

This was mostly symbolized by increasing requests for religious accommodation and exceptions. I.e. these rules apply to everyone but we don't think they should apply to us because... religion, and religion gives us a free pass for (almost) everything.

And so this law is meant as a line in the sand to make things clear that while religious freedom does exist here (we're probably still in the top rung in the world), it's not going to be a free pass that always can get you out of everything you don't like.

I understand that this might offend multiculturalist Anglosphere sensibilities, but at least now you have the genesis and rationale for these measures.
The same man who sponsored the bill in 2019 cancelled approved immigration requests for questionable reasons, and created a "values test" that immigrants must pass in order to be accepted. And some of the questions directly disagree with Muslim beliefs.

So there's that.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlynorthofnowhere View Post
Quebec can use the "Not Withstanding" clause because they have special status.
Nope! All Provinces can enact the "Notwithstanding" clause if they choose to.

Ontario (Dougie Ford) has used it also: https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-pa...ipId%3D1921747

Old 12-21-2021, 08:22 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Hijabs not allowed. Masks required.
Funny!!! Would that be called a oxymoron? Did she wear a mask under her mask?

Old 12-21-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The same man who sponsored the bill in 2019 cancelled approved immigration requests for questionable reasons, and created a "values test" that immigrants must pass in order to be accepted. And some of the questions directly disagree with Muslim beliefs.

So there's that.
Yeah, the values test has questions like:

Men and women have equal rights under the law in Quebec. True or false?

Or a series of images showing a man and a woman, two men, or two women, with the question: who can get married in Quebec (select all of the images to which this applies)?

I at least know which side I am on for this.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
What could the purpose of this action possibly be, except to bar Muslims from positions of authority and respect?

According to the article, this was passed in 2019.

Other than people being irritated/frightened that Muslims are doing well, why bar them from succeeding?

And anyone who says well, they can just wear their hijab privately but not when out in public. No, they can't. Exactly the opposite.

If you're going to pass a law like this, and defend it, best to just own it. They are afraid of the growing Muslim population and want to nip it in the bud. Make their community unwelcoming, so hopefully the Muslims will go away.
Not quite.

Who says that a good or even true Muslim woman has to cover up? Most Muslim women in Quebec, the rest of Canada and the US don't cover up.

In any event, this process wasn't even triggered by anti-Muslim angst.

The whole debate began with Hasidic Jews in Montreal complaining that women exercising in a local gym in skimpy clothing were visible from the street.

They also asked for exemptions from parking rules due to their religious practices.

And it was found that certain communities in Montreal were asking the police not to send female officers to deal with their community, and the cops were complying or considering complying. In the latter case I do think it was both the Hasidim and Muslims involved. Though not together... of course!

Old 12-21-2021, 08:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Yeah, the values test has questions like:

Men and women have equal rights under the law in Quebec. True or false?

Or a series of images showing a man and a woman, two men, or two women, with the question: who can get married in Quebec (select all of the images to which this applies)?

I at least know which side I am on for this.
The question that I read, randomly generated from the test, you have to agree that men and women have the same rights and responsibilities, both in public and private life. I read a random generator, and the question didn't pop up again, but here's a mention of it in this article:

https://www.cicnews.com/2019/12/queb...html#gs.jfyfyf

And no, Muslims do not believe that, and no one (IMHO) should have to agree that in their private home, men and women have the same responsibilities.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:27 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
There is no double standard. A nun's habit is not allowed, and neither is a hijab.
The lefters would poop themselves if a teacher walked out in a public school wearing a habit. Then they would try to burn down the school. Then they would try and get all "The flying Nun" movies banned.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The question that I read, randomly generated from the test, you have to agree that men and women have the same rights and responsibilities, both in public and private life. I read a random generator, and the question didn't pop up again, but here's a mention of it in this article:

https://www.cicnews.com/2019/12/queb...html#gs.jfyfyf

And no, Muslims do not believe that, and no one (IMHO) should have to agree that in their private home, men and women have the same responsibilities.
While on the surface this sounds pretty unassailable, there is more nuance to this than you are accounting for.

For starters, responsibilities and roles in private life between men and women are generally something those two people work out themselves.

But male-female rights still aren't really that negotiable in private settings from a legal perspective. A woman still retains her legal rights to leave her husband or make a complaint about him to the police even if they are in a traditional marriage relationship.

Minors (think girls) also retain a certain number of equal (to boys) rights under sex and gender laws, even in private family settings.

Sorry to say this, but if people can't even accept that, then yeah maybe it's best for everyone if they don't move here.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:17 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Same law also bans turbans, kippahs and crosses.

Reportedly, it has substantial public support in Quebec.

Crosses are not in the same category as turbans, kippot, and hijabs.

This is Christian hegemony masquerading as secularism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies