Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 10:19 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The lefters would poop themselves if a teacher walked out in a public school wearing a habit. Then they would try to burn down the school. Then they would try and get all "The flying Nun" movies banned.
They already go crazy if a Bible is brought into a public school here in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 10:30 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They already go crazy if a Bible is brought into a public school here in the US.
I'm surprised the lefters haven't purposely burned down all motels that leave bibles in the top drawer.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Crosses are not in the same category as turbans, kippot, and hijabs.

This is Christian hegemony masquerading as secularism.
That's untrue. Visible crosses are also forbidden. In order to wear one it would have to be tiny or hidden under your clothes.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While on the surface this sounds pretty unassailable, there is more nuance to this than you are accounting for.

For starters, responsibilities and roles in private life between men and women are generally something those two people work out themselves.

But male-female rights still aren't really that negotiable in private settings from a legal perspective. A woman still retains her legal rights to leave her husband or make a complaint about him to the police even if they are in a traditional marriage relationship.

Minors (think girls) also retain a certain number of equal (to boys) rights under sex and gender laws, even in private family settings.

Sorry to say this, but if people can't even accept that, then yeah maybe it's best for everyone if they don't move here.
Um, not many. Boys may be able to socialize freely, stay out later, not do chores, not dress and behave modestly, participate in competitive sports, while their sisters aren't allowed those privileges. Conversely, the women may be required to do ALL the household chores, and behave with deference to the males in the family while males aren't expected to do that.

And that's the reality of a lot of families. And a nation doesn't have a right to say families can't do that, or even that it's not moral.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
That's untrue. Visible crosses are also forbidden. In order to wear one it would have to be tiny or hidden under your clothes.
How about a Christmas pin on the librarian's jacket?

Old 12-21-2021, 02:02 PM

Well, this is interesting. I did a quick search of public schools in Quebec, and found an AWFUL lot of Santa Hats, decorated christmas tree logos, Christmas elves, etc., but nothing so jarring as the Chelsea Elementary (where this woman was forced to quit because of her hijab) Christmas 2021 fundraiser, where Purdy's Chocolate Christmas candies and goodies are sold. An annual thing. Too bad we're too late to order, they look beautiful and Christmasy.

Apparently the school's not so picky about Christmas fundraisers featuring Christmas goodies as they are about Muslim's clothing.

Surprised/not surprised.

https://www.facebook.com/chelsea.homeandschool/

Old 12-21-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Um, not many. Boys may be able to socialize freely, stay out later, not do chores, not dress and behave modestly, participate in competitive sports, while their sisters aren't allowed those privileges. Conversely, the women may be required to do ALL the household chores, and behave with deference to the males in the family while males aren't expected to do that.

And that's the reality of a lot of families. And a nation doesn't have a right to say families can't do that, or even that it's not moral.
I might prudently agree, though there is a bit of give and take between parents' rights to raise their kids as they see fit, and the kids' rights as individuals.

While I don't necessarily favour a hard crackdown on this stuff, you're gonna wait a long time and expend a lot of breath before I start to see what you just described as a good thing.

Sorry.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, this is interesting. I did a quick search of public schools in Quebec, and found an AWFUL lot of Santa Hats, decorated christmas tree logos, Christmas elves, etc., but nothing so jarring as the Chelsea Elementary (where this woman was forced to quit because of her hijab) Christmas 2021 fundraiser, where Purdy's Chocolate Christmas candies and goodies are sold. An annual thing. Too bad we're too late to order, they look beautiful and Christmasy.

Apparently the school's not so picky about Christmas fundraisers featuring Christmas goodies as they are about Muslim's clothing.

Surprised/not surprised.

https://www.facebook.com/chelsea.homeandschool/
Haha! Chelsea Elementary School, which is part of the Western Quebec School Board, is like all English-language schools in Quebec, is dead-set against Bill 21.

(About 10% of schools in Quebec are English language. The vast majority of French language.)

This is hardly hypocrisy as this school argues that unfettered religion is a good thing.

This includes Santa (though I missed him in the Bible - could he be one of the three wise men in disguise?) and even a manger I suppose if they wanted to.

Unless Quebec's anglo schools want to go the "other religions good, Christianity bad" route.

It wouldn't be something we haven't seen before!

Anyway, Christmas for the vast majority of people in Quebec (as is the case for many people in the US too) is about as religiously Christian as Halloween is about observing Satanism and truly worshiping the dead.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Haha! Chelsea Elementary School, which is part of the Western Quebec School Board, is like all English-language schools in Quebec, is dead-set against Bill 21.

(About 10% of schools in Quebec are English language. The vast majority of French language.)

This is hardly hypocrisy as this school argues that unfettered religion is a good thing.

This includes Santa (though I missed him in the Bible - could he be one of the three wise men in disguise?) and even a manger I suppose if they wanted to.

Unless Quebec's anglo schools want to go the "other religions good, Christianity bad" route.

It wouldn't be something we haven't seen before!

Anyway, Christmas for the vast majority of people in Quebec (as is the case for many people in the US too) is about as religiously Christian as Halloween is about observing Satanism and truly worshiping the dead.
Chelsea school was the same school where this teacher was removed for wearing a hijab.

Old 12-21-2021, 03:07 PM

1,958 posts, read 702,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I guess freedom of religion isn't a thing in Quebec?
I believe you got the wrong idea. I remember it was too much "religion," and some people don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies