Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 07:03 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times

Advertisements

First, there isn't really a TB vaccine that is all that effective. The one that is available basically only helps with children and just mitigates symptoms. With adults you get treatment that helps the TB from becoming active once you are diagnosed.

But the main thing that helps is there isn't that much TB out there anymore. At least in the US.

Same with polio and smallpox. One of the reasons that the vaccines are so effective now is that vaccines of the past have limited the circulating amounts of virus. If there was a lot more circulating virus out there we might see more breakthrough cases with those particular viruses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 07:20 PM

2,367 posts, read 910,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpebrous View Post
I used to get the flu every year. Never got the shot for it. Been flu-free for more than a decade because I:
- Bought a good, wool scarf
- Started pounding vitamin C and zink as soon as the air turns cold and dry.
I don't get the flu shot every year. But I get it if I know I will be traveling overseas, especially to a place I've never been to before. I get sick when exposed to stuff my body has never seen before. If I stay in town then I don't get sick.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Never heard of it. So how does getting the Covid vaccine make covid "less severe"?
Because respiratory viruses mutate very rapidly. That's why none have ever been eradicated. That's why flu vaccine effectiveness varies from year to year -- the vaccine formula changes from year to year depending on which variant they're chasing and/or is the most prominent strain that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not the same kind of virus. But those diseases weren't eradicated for years after we started taking the vaccines.
Smallpox is the only one we've eradicated because humans were the only species that was susceptible to it; all the others have animal reservoirs so unless we start vaccinating all the susceptible animals too, they'll always be with us. We've only managed to control them, and only in countries/regions where the vaccines are widely administered.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:25 PM

1,014 posts, read 480,268 times
They have vaccines that work for those diseases. Less severe. Hardly any cases in U.S.A. In other countries there may be a few cases. But mainly herd immunity.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:42 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Never heard of it. So how does getting the Covid vaccine make covid "less severe"?
Covid is only less severe in folks who are vaccinated. For those who aren't, the disease is still a bad one.

Polio was similar; I'm old enough to remember polio, and some of the kids I knew who were vaccinated when I was became a bit ill, but the doctors called it an after-effect back then. I was in one of the first groups who received the Saulk vaccine.

Maybe that's just a difference in medical terms. But none of the kids I knew ever caught full-blown polio after getting the jab. The kid who lived next door to my Grandparents did catch polio. He was definitely much more ill than any of us ever were.

I watched as he was loaded in an ambulance. Polio caught him only a few weeks before the vaccine arrived here and the rest of us got shots.

That was 72 years ago now, but I can still remember the look of complete terror on that boys face.
He survived, though. An iron lung saved him, but it took 3 months to do it.

After he came home, he told me he went to sleep feeling fine, and during the night began having nightmares. They woke him up, and he discovered everything below his collar bone was paralyzed.

He tried to scream for his parents, and his voice came out a whisper. That's when he really got scared, he said.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:58 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Anything COVID should never be compared to polio, small pox or TB. NEVER. The mortality rate and severe disabilities that followed those in no way resembles COVID, in no way.

COVID is a corona virus. There have been 4 previous corona viruses with two still around having weakened to the point that they present like the common cold now.

These vaccines are an experiment. They have been trying to get them on the market for years, and they were not getting approval. Big Pharma stuffs the pockets of the CDC through the CDC Foundation. It doesn't take a rocket science to do the math (in billions) on this.
There are four human coronaviruses associated with the common cold, and all four are still around.

The original SARS was also a coronavirus. it mutated to a less transmissible form and was controlled with contact tracing and isolation and quarantine. MERS is a coronavirus that is still around.

Polio cases peaked at 57879 and 3149 deaths in the US in 1952 and plummeted after the vaccine was introduced. That is way smaller than what covid has done.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00056803.htm

"During 1900-1904, an average of 48,164 cases and 1528 deaths caused by both the severe (variola major) and milder (variola minor) forms of smallpox were reported each year in the United States." Again, much smaller than what covid has done.

The US does not vaccinate for TB, which is treated with antibiotics.

There was no one trying to "get these vaccines on the market for years" because SARS-CoV-2 did not exist until 2019.

Here is what the CDC Foundation does. It is a non-profit supporting programs worldwide. Money raised for those programs comes from many sources other than "Big Pharma".

https://www.cdcfoundation.org/our-story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I got the oral sugar cube Polio vaccine in NYC elementary school when I was 8. 1956. I do not remember adults lining up in street to get THEIR Polio vaccine. I know my parents didn't get it. You do know that Polio can be asymptomatic without being vaccinated. Maybe that is why adults weren't getting vaccinated for Polio. They had natural immunity from their ages by already being exposed to it?
Adults got vaccinated, too. This documentary is titled "Babies and Breadwinners", not just babies, and the video shows adults lining up to get vaccinated.

Go to about 15 minutes:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?506892...ation-campaign

"Children bring your parents and parents bring your children".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Polio vaccines did this though:
Which is why the US does not use the oral vaccine any more, and there are already plans to eliminate its use worldwide.

https://polioeradication.org/polio-t...opv-cessation/

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteblonde View Post
They're not vaccines at all. They're experimental medicine being injected into humans with NO product liability. Anyone who receives one IS the experiment. IE : they were not thoroughly tested as other vaccines have been.
They are vaccines. That is why the word vaccine is on the label. For the life of me I cannot understand the motivation behind this argument.

They received the same testing as other vaccines, though in a compressed time frame due to the amount of money available.

Old 12-26-2021, 12:16 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
And a lot of it is wrong.
One needs to find a trustworthy source. Not all of it is bogus.

Old 12-26-2021, 03:11 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
They are vaccines. That is why the word vaccine is on the label. For the life of me I cannot understand the motivation behind this argument.

They received the same testing as other vaccines, though in a compressed time frame due to the amount of money available.
Listen. This is all a secret govment plot to make all vaccinated people vote Democrat. Why can't people see this?

Old 12-26-2021, 05:15 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Listen. This is all a secret govment plot to make all vaccinated people vote Democrat. Why can't people see this?
Did you forget your /sarcastic emoji?

Old 12-26-2021, 07:04 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not the same kind of virus. But those diseases weren't eradicated for years after we started taking the vaccines.
Polio is endemic in only two countries in the world, afghanistan and Pakistan. Biden airlifted people not qualified to come, with unknown health status, into our country. Let's see what happens.

Actually there were two instances of polio vaccine screw up that caused health problems. Not implying there were two individuals, bad batches given to many people. Cutter incident 1955 was one of the two.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/co...s-history.html

Swine flu issues as well in 1976, ....serious neurological disorder called Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) following vaccination with a swine flu vaccine.

https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/index.html The national vaccine injury program

there is a gov doc for the development of biologicals, which is what the vaccine falls under

More info than you'd care to know in FDA.gov

Be sure to see, "the pink sheet' informa pharma intelligence....... a mainstream industry publication that announces drugs in different phases of development, issues and regulatory news in the USA and around the world as many of our studies are conducted worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies