Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 06:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
People have to live with the consequences of their vote.

My Uncle and his fam live in Long Island...they are good-hearted people, but as dyed-in-the-wool left as they come. I have always avoided talking politics with them, and vice versa, as they know I am GOP for life, but I do wonder if they are starting to have some small inkling of how proudly misguided they have been.

If not, will they learn at the point of some thug's gun? I hope not.
Your family like most people do not like to admit they made a mistake. At least not openly.

But privately in the voting booth that is a different matter. Republicans pretty much wiped the floor with the Democrats on Long Island this past election. And not just the Island but across most of New York State.

Part of the reason is the outright stupidity that people are seeing in the city, this looney Manhattan DA the OP mentioned is just another typical example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 07:25 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
it's almost like this is intentional....

Old 01-04-2022, 10:01 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
The justice system has been broken for decades, with criminals seeing little or no prison time, in the unlikely event that they are even caught. Now we have prosecutors saying what the heck, just let them go free. Who cares about the innocent citizens they prey on time after time. They don't matter-the system, let alone the entire Democratic party, empathizes far more with criminals than their victims.

It's past time to turn things around. For far more citizens to concealed carry every day, and for far more to be willing to put down these vicious animals. If those paid to protect honest citizens won't do their jobs, it's time for the citizens to do so themselves.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:12 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Remove the drug offenders from jail and house real, actual criminals. Seems simple enough
Drug dealers are real, actual criminals who deserve the roughly 15% of jail and prison slots they occupy. Legalize all drugs and most of them would just move on to some other form of criminal activity.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:21 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,369 times
My biggest worry is that there's no return to normalcy after this. How do we ever go back to a law and order society after these "punish no crimes" policies? IMO it's near impossible and I am seriously angry, but also worried, that some low life woke white hipsters a handful of racist activists and wealthy financiers are bringing on a future of anarchy.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:28 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,705,627 times
Shortly before the Election:

Eric Adams, local groups offer $5K reward for NYC deli stabbing arrest

Quote:
Politicians and local groups on Wednesday offered a total of $5,000 in rewards for information leading to the arrest of the deli customer who fatally stabbed an East Harlem worker during a heated dispute.

“..... I do want to incentivize that by offering $1,000 of my own personal money to catch the person who is responsible for this,” said Adams, the Brooklyn borough president.

“As long as that knife is on the street, there’s another victim waiting to be victimized.”

Old 01-05-2022, 05:17 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Bad to worse......but they actually voted him in, oh well.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:24 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Prostitution shouldn't even be a crime.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:34 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
during his campaign, bragg clearly stated his priorities which included those stated in the OP. he won his DA election with 80% of the vote from the voters who showed up at the polls.

we can assume, based on his overwhelming win, that bragg's stated policies were what the citizens wanted for their city. fine by me. i don't live in manhattan anymore.
If no one else is going to say it, I will. He won because he’s black. Doesn’t matter what he campaigned on.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:44 AM

1,601 posts, read 866,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
My biggest worry is that there's no return to normalcy after this. How do we ever go back to a law and order society after these "punish no crimes" policies? IMO it's near impossible and I am seriously angry, but also worried, that some low life woke white hipsters a handful of racist activists and wealthy financiers are bringing on a future of anarchy.

No, it CAN be fixed, but it takes political will and the right people. Over the weekend my wife and I watched "The Times Square Killer" on Netflix, and something they touched on was the fact that Times Square was a complete crime and sex free-for-all by the late 70's which allowed the killer easy prey. The publicity from his crimes finally led to the city leadership cracking down in the early 80's and started the transformation that culminated in Rudy Giuliani being elected mayor in 1994. Unfortunately, things will have to get really bad for change to occur. I fear that the great political "sort" which has been occurring over the last 5 years or so has left too many ideologues living in our big cities, and it takes a lot to get a true believer to change course.

Let them burn in their own fire, I say. I live in a free Red state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies