Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 03:43 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
5 times more likley to get COVID. What does that really mean?

If a vaccinated person has a 1% chance, an unvaccinated person would have a 5% chance. So out of 100 people, 94 people will NOT get COVID. If it means there is a 0.05% chance of a vaccinated person that means a 0.25% chance of an unvaccinated.

You can throw out generalizations all day long, without context they mean nothing and are only meant as fear-mongering.

Actually many people whole heartily believe in the "Vax it or Casket" mentality. There are even a few posters on here that have had that as their bi-line.

But again with the generalizations? Without any numbers as context, "a Greater chance" means nothing. After all, a 0.05% chance vs a 0.06% chance would still be greater but statistically insignificant.

The only people clogging the ER's are asymptomatic mostly vaccinated people who listened to the CDC who said that even just a sniffle could mean you have COVID so you better go get tested and they went to the ER.

Most Hospitals and ICUs are NOT being overrun with COVID patients. In fact, in just about every State COVID is making up under 30% of the total utilization, and in many cases under 20%.
You beat me to it.

If a person has less than a 1% chance, 5x that is still .... less than 1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 03:45 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Does the small chance of you getting in a car wreck mean you don't wear seatbelts? After all, according to your reasoning, even though a person who wears seatbelts has a better chance of not getting injured badly in a wreck, because wrecks are so infrequent it's just fearmongering to expect people to wear seatbelts at all.

Seatbelts don't cause myocarditis.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:53 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Seatbelts don't cause myocarditis.
Actually, there is a small chance of being injured by your seatbelt. Does that still mean you won't wear a seatbelt?

Old 01-05-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Now you want to punish people for risky behavior? I guess we are back to firing everyone in the hospital back in 2020. Also, how do you propose we punish the people who got the jab knowing there's a risk of all sorts of adverse events including blood clots, myocarditis, stroke, paralysis, GBS, Bells palsy and others?
First of all, none of those are communicable diseases that can be passed on to patients or fellow hospital staff.

Second of all, getting those from the vaccine are much rarer than getting Covid itself.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:59 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
For those who support this, don’t complain about long waits, lower quality of care or a lack of hospital beds due to staffing shortages.
Yes as if that was ever a concern for people that rely on emergency rooms for treatment rather than the vaccine. This was 700 employees by the way, no breakdown as to function but I imagine most are other than nurses and doctors. 73,000 employees got vaccinated but 700 chose not to, but the good news is they can get their jobs back if they vaccinate.

Last thing we need it nurses and doctors that are regularly exposed to the virus ending up in ICU's.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:00 PM

831 posts, read 333,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Only question I have is... what took so long?

Kudos to Mayo Clinic for doing the right thing. Proof of having had numerous FDA approved vaccinations have always been a condition of employment there. You don't like the rules at your job? Find the nearest door with an EXIT sign over it.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1478692755987648514
Let's see how long it takes for them to whine about not enough workers etc. Should be fun to watch.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:04 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
OP would definitely turn their parents into the thought police

Old 01-05-2022, 04:04 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
First of all, none of those are communicable diseases that can be passed on to patients or fellow hospital staff.

Second of all, getting those from the vaccine are much rarer than getting Covid itself.

Oh, so as long as the risk only involves the individual and not others, you are good with it. I thought the vaccinated are at almost no risk. You can't work both sides of this argument.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Oh, so as long as the risk only involves the individual and not others, you are good with it. I thought the vaccinated are at almost no risk. You can't work both sides of this argument.
I mean ... seriously ... how many more times do I have to explain this?
Quote:
It is really sad the amount of willful misrepresentation that goes on among anti-vaxxers.

I have now stated many times that vaccinated are 5 times less likely to get Covid than unvaccinated.

Is it so difficult to understand that that means some vaccinated people will still get Covid? "5 times less likely" simply means that for every 1 vaccinated person who gets Covid, there will be 5 unvaccinated people who get Covid.

Vaccinated people are getting tested for Covid every day. I myself have gotten tested while being vaccinated.
But yes, in the case of a hospital, since the objective of the hospital is to help sick people, it is a bigger deal to prevent hospital staff from getting a disease that they can pass on to others, than it is for one that's not communicable.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:06 PM

43,116 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes as if that was ever a concern for people that rely on emergency rooms for treatment rather than the vaccine. This was 700 employees by the way, no breakdown as to function but I imagine most are other than nurses and doctors. 73,000 employees got vaccinated but 700 chose not to, but the good news is they can get their jobs back if they vaccinate.

Last thing we need it nurses and doctors that are regularly exposed to the virus ending up in ICU's.
Yet they were the first ones you wanted last year and the year before.
They were exposed for 2 years with no problems.
Now..you have "issues"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies