Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2022, 01:20 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Grace Slick once said there is nothing more sad than an aging rock star.

I used to agree with that 100%, but now I think the actual saddest thing is an aging rockstar who becomes a shill for The Establishment.
Regarding the Alice Cooper quote, he is certainly free to his opinion as are you, me, Neil Young and everyone else. I think it's crazy to think people like Neil Young, Michel Stipe, Kid Rock or Ted Nugent should hold their opinions in solely because they are famous, but that people like you and me are free to give opinions all day long on various web sites and social media apps. I don't get that POV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 01:22 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
You knew exactly how strong hippy convictions, tenants etc were by the 1980s, 90s which begat yuppy scum which were capitalists and/or corporate ladder climbers progressing faster than business students of the 60s/70s.
True. Very few rockers stay true to the roots their entire lives. Outside of punk and gangster rap, it's hard to think of even a handful who stay rebellious even into old age. Lemmy is one of the few who comes to mind.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:27 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Regarding the Alice Cooper quote, he is certainly free to his opinion as are you, me, Neil Young and everyone else. I think it's crazy to think people like Neil Young, Michel Stipe, Kid Rock or Ted Nugent should hold their opinions in solely because they are famous, but that people like you and me are free to give opinions all day long on various web sites and social media apps. I don't get that POV
I don't think they should be disallowed from having an opinion or speaking it. What the Cooper quote says that I agree with is that shilling for politics and other establishment nonsense is indeed antithetical to rock and roll, which itself is rebellion set to music. And further, that anyone getting their advice or opinions on politics from rock stars are indeed morons.

I never asked for Neil Young to be censored. I simply agree that his shilling for the establishment is sickening and sad.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:34 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
These people, Neil Young and his ilk, were never really anti-establishment, they just didn't like that they didn't have control of the establishment. They were jealous so they ranted in protest. Now that the left does have government and corporations they want to keep it at any cost.

I just realized this, it was never about being against the man, it was them wanting to be the man, on their terms. They are a much scarier form of the Man than the Man of old ever was.
Not exactly.
Neil Young and many others who fought the recording industry only wanted to control the music they made and how it was produced, and how it sounded when it was finished.

They never wanted to control the entire company, and they didn't hate corporations. They just wanted personal control of their own product.

Jealousy doesn't even have a part in this. What's there that would make Neil Young jealous?
Absolutely nothing I can think of. Jealousy is a little kid's game, and Neil is no little kid.

Young is only one of many like him.

The internet is the only place left where money and control are being fought over. Young never wanted to take over Spotify; he just didn't like having his music being sold alongside a guy he found objectionable. So it was a him or me situation.

Spotify decided it wasn't Neil, so he left. After he let his fans know his reasons for leaving first.

Has he continued protesting Spotify? Nope. After he left, he's said nothing at all since.

And you can still hear Joe Rogan any old time on Spotify. What's the big deal here?

Old 01-31-2022, 01:37 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not exactly.
Neil Young and many others who fought the recording industry only wanted to control the music they made and how it was produced, and how it sounded when it was finished.

They never wanted to control the entire company, and they didn't hate corporations. They just wanted personal control of their own product.

Jealousy doesn't even have a part in this. What's there that would make Neil Young jealous?
Absolutely nothing I can think of. Jealousy is a little kid's game, and Neil is no little kid.

The internet is the only place left where money and control are being fought over. Young never wanted to take over Spotify; he just didn't like having his music being sold alongside a guy he found objectionable. So it was a him or me situation.

Spotify decided it wasn't Neil, so he left. After he let his fans know his reasons for leaving first.

Has he continued protesting Spotify? Nope. After he left, he's said nothing at all since.

And you can still hear Joe Rogan any old time on Spotify. What's the big deal here?
Why didn't he just leave?

Why the ultimatum?

Theatre.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:24 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not exactly.

Point is they want a bunch of hardcore leftists controlling everything and everyone, because they are the same, and they will sacrifice their so-called principles to defend them. He's shilling for big pharma, and willing to even step on another liberal (Joe was a Bernie supporter), one with actual principles, to kiss the butt of big government and big business. These celebrity progressives are loving Fauci, Biden, internet companies that censor alternative voices. There is nothing wrong with Rogan, just watch his youtube response, he's good with some kind of compromise, he's not a very objectionable person.

Joe should invite Young to come on the show and say his piece. Joe's such a laid back likeable kind of guy he could probably win him over. That would get some viewers.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:38 PM

9,460 posts, read 5,225,471 times
I heard today that Spotify is not all the concerned with removing Neil Young, and others, from their channel. They did spend $20 million on Joe Rogen however (and the music isn't making money), so it's not necessarily that they are succumbing to any pressure from the musical artists. I could be wrong though.

I agree that Joe should invite Neil and they can have a dialogue.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:43 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I agree that Joe should invite Neil and they can have a dialogue.

Let everyone hear how stupid Neil is. Compare his past political views which were anti govt and anti corp and anti establishment with his current ones. The few fans he has left will start listening to Rogan!

Old 01-31-2022, 04:53 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,079,464 times
I don’t think Neil would do himself any favors going on Joes show.
Joe isn’t mean but he is honest.
Neil maybe not as sharp as he used to be.

Neil has every right to do whatever he wants but he did lose stock with me.
It could get even worse for him if he thinks he could own the fast comic mind of Rogan.

PPV with Micheal Buffer ringing the bell?

Old 01-31-2022, 05:02 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...formation.html

Neil sure did a great job at bringing out the truth for vaccinations, questionable activity by the Governments and censorships by his bonehead move.

It made me listen to the Dr. Malone interview today with Rogan which really puts a light onto what has been going on with Covid and world we entered last year with the censorship. 100% worth listening to no matter where you are politically because its the basis of the truth of what's happening in the country.
Are you trying to say Neil Young is trying to express his thoughts on the needle and the damage done?

He's a heck of a song writer, and like most liberals, will never let a good tragedy go to waste, such as his hit song, Four Dead and Exploited for My Gain in Ohio...

Then he told Spotify, This Note's Not For You.

When you're so woke, you cancel yourself, that's special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies