Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 06:08 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times

Advertisements

This "issue" like many others is purely an invention of mass media. Yes it's true that some BLM protestors in a frustrated knee-jerk reaction to police abuse of power made this suggestion. The only reason why this opinion turned into a widespread meme was because news media jumped on it and sensationalized it. Happened across the board, from Fox to MSNBC. All of them got in on the fun.

On the street from what I hear in the cities of the Midwest, African American communities aren't in favor of "defunding" the police. They ARE in favor of making police better trained, more accountable, more transparent (body cameras) and more efficient. They ARE in favor of weeding out the sociopathic and sadistic personalities that are sometimes attracted to police work. They ARE in favor of rethinking policies like no-knock warrants that put police in situations where they may be forced to use deadly force.

Point is, most average everyday folks are not in favor of "defunding" the police. Highly exaggerated and media-driven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 06:10 AM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
In my experience, it's been white Democrats who support this. Inner city, mostly non-white Democrats, seem to be against it.

That said, many a Democrat politician has run on and been elected on, and/or otherwise pushed, the mess. So it's fair game to say that the Democrat party supports this crap.

Even from a party platform, anything that calls for transferring funds to the police department to some BS idealistic social services response has the exact same impact.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:15 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
No. Democrats really think the cops are racially biased, are not here to protect and serve, but are here to disproportionately judge non-white supremist groups unfairly. So the solution is to defund them and replace the system with _____________ fill in the blank. Look at who you vote for and how that vote is set up to support such services.

Watch your news and compare the portrayal with some family member, friends of the family etc. who actually works for the city state or federal level of the "Police" and see what they have been trained to do and what is their day to day reality.

I'm very careful of the news and media reporting of events and am seeing some disgusting things in big urban areas.

I look to the Summer of 2020 Biden Rallys in Seattle and Portland and New York Manhattan borough and the Loop area of Chicago and L.A. and Wisconsin etc. and how the public handled Police presence. Where are they all now with crime and tourism?

I'll tell you personally, I would not visit one of those hell holes ever again nor try to contribute a penny to them. San Francisco too.

I see it all as a "reverse" sort of racism that has happened and some of us have had enough of it. I see a growing number of Black Americans as growing up into a realization the crumbs strewn out amongst them from LBJ and Pelosi types is growing stale and I hope other "minorities" will follow suit.

In my mind, the true racists see only two colors, Black and White. Notice they pander to mainly "people of color" as being non-white, but pander mainly to Black Americans but forget other minorities such as Asian people, Latino voters in the United States, Native Americans, Black non-Americans, etc.

Just look where the real privilege is being exercised, the big tech companies, high level corporate entities who control the media, control what we are supposed to think and feel, the sway of pop culture, Hollywood, the media, etc.

If you ask me, cops got caught in the crossfire. Ever notice how all cops aren't actually white males? Nor should they be.

What's up with Fire Fighters getting shot doing their life-saving duties?

If the system is so bad, what have you done to change it and/or make it better?

How would you like to become a cop and make it better? I suppose we can start with defunding them. This sounds brilliant, huh AOC? Oh guess what? She's a democrat, and a very trendy one at that.
"No. Democrats really think the cops are racially biased,"

And the ironic thing is so many mayors, police chiefs, captains, etc., through affirmative action, are BLACK!

Old 02-06-2022, 06:18 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Police have 61,500,000 contacts with the public each year. How many involve bad cop behavior?

Some miniscule % that the media magnifies....like those you point to above. Which party is the media affiliated more closely with, in nearly all of America's largest cities?

We all want the # of bad cop contacts to be zero...right?

Well, which political party is hiring the cops, training them, promoting them, firing them, in nearly all America's large cities? Who does the police chief report to?

Democrats, thats who...and its been that way for decades.

So, how are Democrats going to fix this? Republicans do not have a Dog in this fight...there isn't a Pub in sight. Is defunding police the solution? If not, why does the link below exist?

https://americanpoliceofficersallian...funded-police/
Dems NEVER take responsibility for their actions or NON actions. It is always somebody else's fault!!

Old 02-06-2022, 06:21 AM

1,868 posts, read 647,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
IMO, all the "defund the police is a state and city issue. The fed has nothing to do with it.
National leadership can and have influenced local issues, especially in their districts. And for successes, they often touted their districts as examples for the rest to follow.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:30 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Adopt my logo. Don't reelect anybody. Not local, state or National.
I’m only voting against Democrats. They’ve lost their way and any vote for a Democrat is a vote for these policies. Republicans aren’t great, but they are better than democrats these days. Sorry, I won’t take your advice. In a normal time when both sides are marginally different I’d agree, but these are not normal times, and I have fundamental disagreements with a party that wants to abolish prisons and borders, and wants women to play sports against men or even have them in their prisons.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:18 PM

17,998 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
They are sheep. If the dem voters think that a lot of people who represent their views want something, then they want it too. And once they hear that a lot of people who represent their views, have changed their minds and suddenly don't want that same thing, then they don't want it either. They are insane little followers. Whatever the headlines at the NYT or MSNBC want, they want it too.
I don't look at someone says anymore. Not at all.

I look at what they do, such as below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
All you have to do is look at the decline in police budgets in the liberal hellholes, of course its a real thing.
This.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Where and what is your source for the underlined?
The source would be all the politicians in "Urban centers, which are overwhelmingly democrat" who were reelected in 2020, even after they are on video calling for police to be defunded.
Oh yeah, that's a pretty good source. We all saw it with our own eyes and heard it with our own ears as they spewed forth that vomit from their own mouths.

Quote:
It's not just the defunding, or reduced funding that causes increased crime, it's also the hostile attitude these blue city governments have towards the police. The police become hesitant to risk their lives enforcing the law, if it means a justified action on their part will be turned into an excuse by the mayor and DA to crucify them to satiate the angry leftist mob.
How about the judicial and law enforcement and penalty assignment side of things? How has bail and sentencing and parole guidelines changed over the last few years in general and who is behind those changes? How does this affect the morale of those policing our citizens at a local, state, and federal levels?

Quote:
"Nobody I know supported defund the police."
And what is that supposed to mean? Get your head out of the sand.

"More than 20 major cities have reduced police budgets in some form, and activists are fighting to ensure that is only the start"

"$870m cut from police"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oney-community

Do you deny all the DEM RUN cities that did?

"But many want to know why some cops shoot first and ask questions later."

Out of the over 6 million interactions civilians have each year with the police, how many times has this actually happened?

You talk like it happens daily.

"This mantra of just do what the cop says and there won't be trouble is troubling"

The "mantra" is true uneducated people are saying it but, the accusation is asinine.

"There are some who become cops so they can push people around"

Another wild accusation.

I have driven traveled all over the country many times and have been stopped by many cops and NEVER have I had this type of experience.

Have YOU actually experienced? Or is it just more B.S?

"There is always one cop in a county who stops lone female drivers for some im//www.city-data.com/agined infraction"

You have made a LOT of accusations

Back them up!

Not with anecdotal B.S but with REAL data.

Why do you think so many are either retiring of quitting?

"Police officers across the country are retiring and quitting at record levels.?
Agreed.

The only time I ever had cops get physical with me or more specifically, put a shotgun in my ear is when I got into a fistfight with a doctor one night who was trying to scrub my bloody finger down due to punching some walls in. I was very drunk at the time and had taken many mushrooms, so I have vague recollection of the whole event. As it turned out, once I calmed down, so did they. When my parents picked me up to take me home because I'd promised to be a good boy the rest of the night, they were very nice to me and concerned about me, if you could believe that. So yeah, I'm grateful they didn't blow my head of that night, but hey, tjm, ymmv, yada yada.

Last edited by McGowdog; 02-06-2022 at 02:42 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 02:35 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Quote:
"Nobody I know supported defund the police."
And what is that supposed to mean? Get your head out of the sand.

"More than 20 major cities have reduced police budgets in some form, and activists are fighting to ensure that is only the start"

"$870m cut from police"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oney-community

Do you deny all the DEM RUN cities that did?

"But many want to know why some cops shoot first and ask questions later."

Out of the over 6 million interactions civilians have each year with the police, how many times has this actually happened?

You talk like it happens daily.

"This mantra of just do what the cop says and there won't be trouble is troubling"

The "mantra" is true uneducated people are saying it but, the accusation is asinine.

"There are some who become cops so they can push people around"

Another wild accusation.

I have driven traveled all over the country many times and have been stopped by many cops and NEVER have I had this type of experience.

Have YOU actually experienced? Or is it just more B.S?

"There is always one cop in a county who stops lone female drivers for some im//www.city-data.com/agined infraction"

You have made a LOT of accusations

Back them up!

Not with anecdotal B.S but with REAL data.

Why do you think so many are either retiring of quitting?

"Police officers across the country are retiring and quitting at record levels.?
I said I don't know anybody who wants to defund the police. I'm not acquainted with the leadership in the cities you listed. My Democratic controlled city and county increased the LE budgets.

Perhaps my attitude is colored by the fact that I have to frequently socialize with a guy who had to take early retirement due to law breaking. He had no penalty except retirement with full pay. Too bad for him. No more being a cop. But he gets full salary until he reaches retirement. Sorry for the anecdote.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:36 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,279,917 times
Very few rank and file democratic voters support defund the police movement. However, an influential minority of progressive academics, activists, and journalists who align with the Democrats do. There was a short period of time after June 2020, when many Dem pols in deep blue cities actually did enact knee jerk cuts to police budgets. Most of those have subsequently been reversed and a large majority of democratic politicians oppose the defund movement. However, many Dem politicians (especially white ones in liberal cities) don't want to out and out denounce a small, but active part of their coalition. So they try to walk (often unsuccessfully) a tight rope where they vote for police funding, denounce defund criticisms as a republican myth, but don't forcefully enough denounce the movement to create real distance in many voters minds. This position becomes even murkier when it comes to defund-adjacent issues like police tactics, progressive DAs, and reforms to bail and sentencing laws. Biden will easily reject defund the police, but he has been appointing liberal DAs to US attorney jobs (see Rachael Rollings).

Republicans naturally (and quiet rationally) sense an effective wedge issues to separate many democratic pols from swing/soft partisan voters, so I expect we will see defund debates feature prominently in our politics for some time.

Last edited by jpdivola; 02-06-2022 at 06:05 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 05:43 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,191,277 times
Let’s put it this way, if they don’t support it they won’t admit it. They are much too collective in their thoughts, much easier to attack free thinkers than question their own party. I bet they are afraid to speak out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies