Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 06:21 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
One is certain that if polled, Democrats, as a whole, would not be in favor of defunding the police, although younger, more progressive folk might prefer it.

Take it a step, further: poll African Americans, and one would not be surprised if AAs surveyed against it. They want police and do want to resolve crime, but not with police brutality. There's a reason why a Black ex-cop is the mayor of New York.
When I watch my local news most African Americans who are affected by crime in their neighborhoods are not talking about "defunding the police". This was a knee-jerk reaction out of the frustration that many felt after the widespread abuses of power we see in policing all over the USA. Then this meme was sensationalized by media to make it seem like it was a "movement".

Making police more reflective of the community, better trained, more transparent and more efficient are the real goals that I usually hear expressed. We've made some progress, body cams when properly used are a big step in the right direction.

The big city police agencies get all the attention, but in rural areas a lot of local departments are as bad or worse - rife with corruption, nepotism and ineptitude. It just doesn't get the headlines, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 06:23 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times
IMHO, it was first supported by most every Democrat I know in the Metro Seattle area, until cops, especially in Seattle, started to retire and quit in record numbers, leaving the city basically unprotected since the Seattle Police Department is now severely under staffed with armed police officers…. Their failed attempts of rolling out more “community service officers” to respond to 911 calls was a total and complete flap AND a waste of that defunded money from the police budget. That failed ideal was to fix all the problems caused by the out of control police officers.

During mid 2020 to now, 2022, Liberal are now buying guns and ammunition at an all time high for the Seattle area and there is no sign of it slowing down either. With that said, Liberals know that they screwed up, but like any good Liberal, they will never admit they’re wrong.

Due to their BS fantasy ideals, Seattle PD lost thousands of years of police experience in less than two year period, which is pretty amazing, if you think about it. Recruiting for Seattle is way down, so they will have to lower their once extremely high standards just to get a warm body into a uniform. Also, Seattle PD is batting a Zero for Zero in attracting experienced police officers from other police departments, from across the nation. Due the Liberal’s anti police BS, Seattle is officially a toxic department, within a toxic city where the city Council openly hates you. So now, they are beyond screwed for the next few years.

Seattle is now basically a lawless city and the criminals have figured this out and pretty much do what criminals without fear of the police or the justice system, which is a even bigger joke than the city Council.

A person that I knew who fully supported Antifa/BLM as they destroyed the city and stated that all cops are racist…. This is coming from a well to do, financially set White female. Anyway, she asked me, a half Black retired cop… That’s, in her mind, a racist to come with her to check on some of her rental property since the “racist” cops where too short staffed to provide any assistance for a non emergency call. I told her no thanks, but good luck and be safe. Which pizzed her off to the max. I haven’t see or heard from her goofy @zz in close to six months!! No loss IMHO!!

Last edited by bergun; 02-05-2022 at 06:34 AM..

Old 02-05-2022, 06:24 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Many aren't supporting it but they're not speaking out against it either.

It was a concession to BLM and party fringe and even some places that started down the path of defund have sobered up as minority bodies piled up in subsequent crime and murder waves in those cities.

Partisan writers trying to dismiss it as some sort of false narrative by Republicans should probably spend their time calling out the defund types instead of trying to pretend it's not a real thing.

P.S. Far more pervasive than defund is the fact that a number of politicians have thrown their police forces under the bus. They may not have defunded but they have demoralized their police forces where any shooting, even of armed gang members can get them thrown under a bus.

Exactly.

It's not what they say, it's what they do.

It's the same tactic they use about immigration.

They deny that they want open borders because they don't come out and say that they want open borders.

But then they oppose anything that amounts to meaningful enforcement of the border and immigration laws.

Don't listen to what they say, watch what they DO.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:26 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Crone, as you know it doesn’t matter how much funding or tools you have around here when the democrat judges in Harris County just let them out of jail. We see the results every night when we turn on the news (if we are lucky enough not to be victims of the carnage ourselves). This is an untenable situation. Please vote against every judge up for re-election this year. They all - even the ones in the civil court - have been a freaking disaster.

As for mental health, I really wish there would be a widespread funding movement. They always take away funding from mental health because no one advocates for it. It is a crisis, and very much related to the other crisis.
You can bet the rent money I will be looking at every incumbent judge on the ballot.

And the DA.

I can see wanting to comply with lawsuits brought all over the country. I can see the problem with keeping poor people in jail for lack of bail money for something insignificant like small amounts of pot.

But releasing violent previously convicted known career criminals is just plain stupid.

The DA can ask for more bail, since the new rules have put many bail bondsmen out of business. Some are putting up bail for 3%, paid out over time. So every time a payment is due, the career armed robber just robs again to make their bail payment.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:28 AM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
On Fox News they show a montage of Democrats who support it but then I read an article on Yahoo that states that it’s just a narrative Republicans are trying to push and most democrats don’t support it.
Yahoo lied! Here is a list of major cities/counties who have actually done it...defunded police:

https://americanpoliceofficersallian...funded-police/

Ignore words...actions count.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:36 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The slogan emerged from within the Geo Floyd Protests.

There is no formal definition and seems to mean different things to different people.

No shortage of Republican politicians use the broad brush to paint all Democrats in favor.

It’s similar to how some Democrats use the broad brush to paint all Republicans as white supremacists. / neo Nazis.

Imagine in 2024 we will be treated to never ending loops of 1/6 vs protests/ riots following Geo Floyd death.
It's not similar because crime in the big cities has skyrocketed as a result and you know it. How many people are dying because of all these 'white supremacists?

Old 02-05-2022, 06:38 AM

1,134 posts, read 405,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I think any politician who gets to vote on police funding, procedures, training, weapons and tactics, etc. should be required to do at least a dozen ride-alongs with random cops. I'd bet that 99% of these blowhards have never done that. Life is different when you're out there in the nitty gritty.
I've always felt that way also. For those in politics and the media who say the police simply don't need the types of vehicles, armor and weapons they use in the bigger cities, should actually go try to police the gang invested neighborhoods themselves. They'll retract all their statements in a hurry.

The documentaries on gang activities show the weapons many are arrested with. It's no joke, those are some serious automatic weapons. Most obtained by theft or on the black market bought with proceeds from drug sales. And it's not a small problem, it's a BIG problem.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:48 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
On Fox News they show a montage of Democrats who support it but then I read an article on Yahoo that states that it’s just a narrative Republicans are trying to push and most democrats don’t support it.
"s Defund the Police really widely supported by the Democratic Party?"

It WAS but now many are seeing the "error of their ways" and waking up to asinine it was!

Old 02-05-2022, 07:25 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"s Defund the Police really widely supported by the Democratic Party?"

It WAS but now many are seeing the "error of their ways" and waking up to asinine it was!
Nobody I know supported defund the police.

But many want to know why some cops shoot first and ask questions later.

This mantra of just do what the cop says and there won't be trouble is troubling.

There are some who become cops so they can push people around. Just a few. But they need to be gone. Taking orders for cars then putting contraband in them so the car can be confiscated and sold is one bunch. It took years to stop that in one east Texas town.

There is always one cop in a county who stops lone female drivers for some imagined infraction. Then letting her go with no ticket in return for sexual favors.

It would help if the cops would monitor themselves instead of having some incident plastered all over the news.

No knock warrants being one such stupid move.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:58 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You can bet the rent money I will be looking at every incumbent judge on the ballot.

And the DA.

I can see wanting to comply with lawsuits brought all over the country. I can see the problem with keeping poor people in jail for lack of bail money for something insignificant like small amounts of pot.

But releasing violent previously convicted known career criminals is just plain stupid.

The DA can ask for more bail, since the new rules have put many bail bondsmen out of business. Some are putting up bail for 3%, paid out over time. So every time a payment is due, the career armed robber just robs again to make their bail payment.
Good post. I’m glad we are on the same page. When I see that poor mom living down the street from the kid who executed her daughter and having him walking the streets when he clearly is a danger to that whole family and the city at large, it breaks my heart. How dare that judge let him out on bail? It was pre-meditated murder as he went to meet her with a gun and a packed bag, but he gets to be home waiting for a capital murder trial? What is to stop him from doing anything he wants now? He’s already facing a life sentence. This is just one of hundreds of stories in our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies