Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 12:20 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
He loses so much credibility with that. He admitted to continuing to take a paycheck and work for a big meanie that offered him money to tank, but doesn’t say anything until he gets fired and nobody wants to hire him. Such the clown.
Exactly. You don't get to claim any moral high ground for waiting until you're fired to blow the whistle, while accepting 7 figure paychecks during this so-called "tanking for money" season."

He's just another disgruntled ex-employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 12:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I am and have always been very social liberal but it shows the narrowness of thought among some that if you dont agree with their viewpoint you must be a "righties" "conservative" or even /sigh "fascists". And like many narrow minded people such as yourself you completely miss the point that if you push for diversity above all else in one aspect of life you must apply it to everything. i.e. black players making up 70% of the NFL and likely more in the NBA is not diversity. it is one race dominating the sports. Most sane people dont have a problem with that and accept its because of talent and skill. But people on the left and it seems people like you refuse to accept that in other aspects of life and say forget talent and skill and we must push diversity. i.e. It "MUST" be because of racism that such situations exists. It cant possibly be a lack of talent and skill among a certain racial group.

Talent and Skill take hard work and education which must be nourished and supported to succeed in most fields and lets face some reality here the Black Community has not exactly embraced the education and drive necessary to succeed at careers that require intellect and thought. yet have long embraced sports and athletics and have greatly succeeded at them. I believe that if the black community would embrace education and glorify those who seek mainstream success as much as they do athletes and music stars they would be just as successful as every other racial group in these fields.
Exactly. The players that are brought into the NFL are the best. I thought we wanted the US to be more of a meritocracy in the workplace and the end of "racist" policies in the workplace. This is whether it is white workers being chosen over higher scoring Asian or African-Americans or white workers are chosen over lesser minority candidates.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:43 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Which coaches do you know?
I don’t personally know any current head coaches.

My best friend’s older brother coached under Brian Billick with the Ravens. I grew up with jim
and went to camps and trained with him.

He also introduced me to Tony Dungy at Latrobe when Dungy was a coach for the Steelers.

2 of my HS football coaches were the brother of Jim Haslett so had a chance to meet him as well.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:47 PM

Also, this tired angle of owners not wanting to risk Billions on a head coach makes ZERO sense.

No one is risking Billions. They hire and fire coaches all the time. Look at places like Denver, Washington, Cleveland, Buffalo, Jags, etc. They change coaches every 3 to 4 years. There risk is no greater or worse. If he works out, cool.. if not, fire him. At most they lose a few mill which isn’t really that much to move on from a head coach or they wouldn’t structure contracts with buyouts.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I don’t personally know any current head coaches.

My best friend’s older brother coached under Brian Billick with the Ravens. I grew up with jim
and went to camps and trained with him.

He also introduced me to Tony Dungy at Latrobe when Dungy was a coach for the Steelers.

2 of my HS football coaches were the brother of Jim Haslett so had a chance to meet him as well.
In other words none.

I met Mike Tomlin, Ken Whisenhunt, and Chuck Noll when I was young. So technically I know a present head coach. Still means nothing in regards to thinking owners should hire more black coaches.

Also forgot, I met Todd Haley.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly. The players that are brought into the NFL are the best. I thought we wanted the US to be more of a meritocracy in the workplace and the end of "racist" policies in the workplace. This is whether it is white workers being chosen over higher scoring Asian or African-Americans or white workers are chosen over lesser minority candidates.
Not always true. The average career of an NFL player is 3.5 years.

Players also make teams, get cut, go on practice squads, etc. The best player isn’t always rewarded with a contract. Ask any fan of a team and they will lost off players they thought the team released prematurely and players they kept that fans often wonder why they are still on the team.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If you dont watch sports, you shouldnt be commenting on this subject, because any actual basket ball fan understands lebron was/is the best player in the world and he was fired because of bad play calling. Lebron then basically called the rest of the season himself from the floor and won the title.
I do watch sports, and I live in Cleveland. I know why Blatt was fired, and it made sense. But he had a winning record and he was fired.

FeltDesigner keeps throwing out "but can you name anyone else who this happened to?" challenges like Flores was the first coach who ever got fired and made people go "huh?" And when I give examples, several of them actually, there are the standard "but that was different because of XYZ reason!!" excuses.

Bottom line, the owner wanted the coach fired...IN EVERY CASE. Flores is not special, he wasn't fired "for being black" and that's it, that's all. Personal differences with ownership, like every other coach fired under "huh?" circumstances. No better, no worse, just life in corporate America. Schottenheimer is the perfect example of a Flores firing. He wanted and did things that the owner didn't like, and the winning record didn't matter. Too bad, you're fired. Flores...SAME THING. Everyone wants it to be because RACIST!! but plain and simple, an employee rubbed the boss the wrong way and got fired for it. Happens every day, all over, to everyone of every color.

People just want to be outraged for no reason.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
In other words none.

I met Mike Tomlin, Ken Whisenhunt, and Chuck Noll when I was young. So technically I know a present head coach. Still means nothing in regards to thinking owners should hire more black coaches.
hey.. you asked and I answered. I grew up with my friends older brother so he is practically family.

No need for me to lie. Its not like I’m claiming to know the big names. These are people I was introduced to
by people who coached me and knew my skill set.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:55 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
hey.. you asked and I answered. I grew up with my friends older brother so he is practically family.

No need for me to lie. Its not like I’m claiming to know the big names. These are people I was introduced to
by people who coached me and knew my skill set.
In other words none but meeting Dungy, and has nothing to do with thinking owners should be hiring black head coaches, unless you talk to Dungy about it?

Old 02-14-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I do watch sports, and I live in Cleveland. I know why Blatt was fired, and it made sense. But he had a winning record and he was fired.

FeltDesigner keeps throwing out "but can you name anyone else who this happened to?" challenges like Flores was the first coach who ever got fired and made people go "huh?" And when I give examples, several of them actually, there are the standard "but that was different because of XYZ reason!!" excuses.

Bottom line, the owner wanted the coach fired...IN EVERY CASE. Flores is not special, he wasn't fired "for being black" and that's it, that's all. Personal differences with ownership, like every other coach fired under "huh?" circumstances. No better, no worse, just life in corporate America. Schottenheimer is the perfect example of a Flores firing. He wanted and did things that the owner didn't like, and the winning record didn't matter. Too bad, you're fired. Flores...SAME THING. Everyone wants it to be because RACIST!! but plain and simple, an employee rubbed the boss the wrong way and got fired for it. Happens every day, all over, to everyone of every color.

People just want to be outraged for no reason.
wrong.. you used one coach who had 21 years experience as a head coach and never coached again.

He wasn’t in his 3rd year and fired after a 10 win season.

The other 2 don’t matter because they are different sports.

and remember I said its not common. I didn’t say it never happens I said “rarely” happens. Show me a few 3rd year NFL head coach fired with after a 9 win season. Its RARE. That usually only happens if it was a consistent 12 win team and 9 wins is
frowned on by the org.

Miami has 3 seasons with 9 or more wins since 2010 and Flores is responsible for the last 2.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 02-14-2022 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies