Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2022, 05:51 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,728,246 times

Advertisements

Today's update

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...essment-may-22

Quote:
Russian forces made only minimal gains in eastern Ukraine on May 22
Key Takeaways

Quote:
Ukrainian sources confirmed that Russian forces have secured local advances to the north and west of Popasna since at least May 20. Russian forces likely seek to push further west toward Bakhmut and north to support the encirclement of Severodonetsk but remain unlikely to achieve rapid advances.

Russian forces will likely attempt to hold positions west of the Siverskyi Donets River against Ukrainian attacks (rather than retreating across the river) to prevent further Ukrainian advances from threatening Russian lines of communication to Izyum.

Russian occupying forces continued filtration and deportation procedures in and around Mariupol.

Russian forces are likely preparing to resume offensives on the southern axis.
Quote:
Russian forces continued rocket and artillery strikes on Zaporizhia, Kherson, Dnipropetrovsk, and Mykolaiv Oblasts.[22] The Ukrainian Resistance Center additionally reported instances of Ukrainian partisan activity targeting collaboration officials and Russian artillery systems in Enerhodar and Melitopol, indicating continued and organized Ukrainian resistance in occupied areas of Ukraine.[23]
How do you recruit a Russian Collaboration Official for Kherson??

Immediate items to watch

Quote:
Russian forces are likely reinforcing their grouping north of Kharkiv City to prevent further advances of the Ukrainian counteroffensive toward the Russian border. Russian forces may commit elements of the 1st Tank Army to northern Kharkiv in the near future.

The Russians will continue efforts to encircle Severodonetsk and Lysychansk at least from the south, possibly by focusing on cutting off the last highway connecting Severodonetsk-Lysychansk with the rest of Ukraine.

Russian forces in Mariupol will likely shift their focus to occupational control of the city as the siege of Azovstal has concluded.

Russian forces are likely preparing for Ukrainian counteroffensives and settling in for protracted operations in southern Ukraine

Old 05-22-2022, 06:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GianiLUZZ View Post
It doesn't matter whether you like Russia or not. That's besides the point. I simply hope I've made it a little more clear about why the west is going to have it really tough and will face many losses in this current venture if they don't turn things around. This is America's war not Ukraine's. Sadly, it looks like they will stop at nothing. They're completely bonkers

I am not going to reply to people with nonsensical replies it wastes my time. I welcome intelligent responses even though I don't always have time to reply. If you got this far thank you for reading.
Hi, Giani. Sorry to cut your post short, but I wanted to focus on just a couple of points (for starters; I may be back later). This was not America's war, until Ukraine begged, cajoled, made emotional appeals, marshaled historical references relating to national values, etc., and in short, pulled out all stops to persuade the US to get involved, along with NATO and its individual members: Germany, and I don't recall which others Ukraine's President appealed to personally. In fact, "the West" was reluctant to get deeply involved precisely because the situation was viewed as Ukraine's war, and there was extreme concern about the war potentially spreading beyond Ukraine.

But that was then, and this is now. I agree the US is too involved. The US has also made some serious missteps in its public statements with regard to the war and Russia, which is probably one factor that gives the impression of "going bonkers". That's all I'm going to say about that for now. I could get into a rant about it, but I've already done that on earlier threads.

Also, I don't see anyone trying to convince Ukraine that it's winning, other than Ukraine itself. Russia's already moved in and set up shop in eastern provinces; that doesn't look like "Ukraine winning" to me. But they need to maintain morale if they want to have any hope of maintaining control of the rest of their country. That is their right.

And btw, Sweden committed to sending heavy armaments to Ukraine after Russian violated their airspace with a fighter jet carrying nuclear weapons. That happened twice; once just before the invasion of Ukraine, and shortly thereafter. The US had nothing to do with that; that was Sweden's decision, because Russia provoked it. That wasn't very smart of Russia, was it? And now Sweden's gone so far as to apply to NATO. Again--the US didn't ask it to do that. Russia's actions caused Sweden to reconsider its neutrality.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-22-2022 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-22-2022, 06:17 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The 20% interest rate recently announced by Russia has helped the Ruble immensely. After all, if some of us Commoners were able to buy Rubles (we can't) and get 20% on our money, we would do it.
But all that is temporary (9:00 in video). In Q3 the doo-doo will hit the fan because while Russia can appear to be doing well with that interest rate, the Russian economy will not. There will be lay-offs and business failures because money simply cannot be made at that interest rate.
Russia is now viewed by Europeans as simply unreliable, whereas The Soviet Union was viewed as reliable. Germany has now realized it made "an enormous mistake" by putting its energy eggs into the Russian basket (14:00) and is working rapidly to back its way out, whereas India sees no problem with doing business with Russia and is ramping up its purchases.
Within one year, Europe will have completely cut Russian ties (15:00).
The Russian economist is asked point blank at 15:55 about 20% unemployment and huge inflation numbers. He answers like a man with a gun to his head and says it was all temporary and soon prices will be going back down and Russia will be fine. No problem.
The transition that Russia MUST go through will be painful. They must create industries capable of exporting products, and that will be hard with borrowing rates at 20%.
Time 20:00 is very important as the question is asked, "Sanctions are causing worldwide inflation. Is blowback on the horizon?.... Could people all over the world reject sanctions and demand their repeal?..
The answer is, "It is not sanctions causing food price increase. It is the war - the one decided on by Russia who is blocking Ukrainian wheat exports." The panelist does not think blowback will appear.

In the end the Russian sees world change, yada-yada-yada. Good video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXexqBGW4ok
It's beyond me why you keep posting incorrect info, I told you to google first, but you wouldn't listen.
The key interest rate is not 20%, it's 14% currently. Still very high obviously.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:21 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
These days it's impossible to hide things from satellites, especially war crimes. Mass graves are being dug in Mariupol to bury thousand of victim of Putin's war. Also shown are destroyed grain silos. Russian invaders kill Ukrainian civilians with bombs and by starving them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOOnD5UNHS8

Last edited by davidt1; 05-22-2022 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-22-2022, 06:24 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Today's update

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...essment-may-22

Key Takeaways

Quote:
Russian forces continued rocket and artillery strikes on Zaporizhia, Kherson, Dnipropetrovsk, and Mykolaiv Oblasts.[22] The Ukrainian Resistance Center additionally reported instances of Ukrainian partisan activity targeting collaboration officials and Russian artillery systems in Enerhodar and Melitopol, indicating continued and organized Ukrainian resistance in occupied areas of Ukraine.[23]
How do you recruit a Russian Collaboration Official for Kherson??

Answer;

You don't.

Because Ukraine is a terrorist state, and it didn't happen because of invasion.

It was already a terrorist state BEFORE it happened.

That's why, when "collaboration officials" have families ( and they usually do,) they are aware that it's not only them, but their families are in danger too.

And this includes not only the immediate members of their families, but the relatives living on Ukrainian territories.

Because for the terrorist state everyone is a "fair game."

P.S. That's why Putin came up with the law lately ( I think) about the creation of the military administrations ( or whatever they are called) to govern these new lands for now.

( I know some Ukrainians were appealing to Russian government to revive the experience of the WWII and the civil war in this respect.)

Last edited by erasure; 05-22-2022 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-22-2022, 06:29 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Putin refused to honor his fallen soldiers by not bringing their bodies home. If they don't even care about their own, they would not have any problem killing Ukrainian civilians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0RABlByNAE

Old 05-22-2022, 06:30 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
P.S. That's why Putin came up with the law lately ( I think) about the creation of the military administrations ( or whatever they are called)...
Quislings. They're called Quislings.

Or is the problem that they can't find anyone to take on the job? Because that speaks of - well, lack of confidence in the capacity of the occupying power to protect them. Not a good sign.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 05-22-2022 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-22-2022, 06:33 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And btw, Sweden committed to sending heavy armaments to Ukraine after Russian violated their airspace with a fighter jet carrying nuclear weapons. That happened twice; once just before the invasion of Ukraine, and shortly thereafter. The US had nothing to do with that; that was Sweden's decision, because Russia provoked it. That wasn't very smart of Russia, was it? And now Sweden's gone so far as to apply to NATO. Again--the US didn't ask it to do that. Russia's actions caused Sweden to reconsider its neutrality.
That's two hundred years of neutrality being abandoned because Russia has gone rogue-state. Freakin' Swiss banks are working to rein in Russia.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
[…]

That's why, when "collaboration officials" have families ( and they usually do,) they are aware that it's not only them, but their families are in danger too.

And this includes not only the immediate members of their families, but the relatives living on Ukrainian territories.

Because for the terrorist state everyone is a "fair game."

[…]
When your nation is at war, with martial law in effect, you do not get to assist the invading enemy without dire consequences.

You and your whole social network should expect to be “disrupted”.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:50 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Quislings. They're called Quislings.

No.
The "military civilian administration" is a temporary arrangement/structure for the governing on Ukrainian territories, and they can be headed by the locals ( who are aware of all the danger that this position brings,) or people appointed from outside of the area.

While "quisling" means simply "a traitor who collaborates with an enemy force occupying their country."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies