Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 02:35 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
What if the people who live in those regions want to be a part of Russia or independent? Then shouldnt Ukraine allow them to do what they want?
As long as those people who live in those regions can establish they actually lived there before the 2014 takeover by the terrorists, then yes they can decide - and also, all the Ukrainians who had to flee the area get to vote, too. Not the Ivan come latelys - they don't get a vote.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:35 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
So it is your understanding that those people in those areas want to remain a part of Ukraine? If so, how do you know this? Would you support a fair election to determine this and respecting the wishes of the people there?
Russian invaders have been kidnapping Ukrainians and send them to Russia in a scheme of depopulation. If Putin wins, he will send Russians loyal to him to Ukraine. Those Russians will vote in favor of Russia. Most of the rest will vote in favor of Russia too, because they don't want to get a bullet in the head or get sent to the gulag.

It's hard to have fair elections in Donbas and Crimea.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:36 PM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Russian invaders have been kidnapping Ukrainians and send them to Russia in a scheme of depopulation. If Putin wins, he will send Russians loyal to him to Ukraine. Those Russians will vote in favor of Russia. Most of the rest will vote in favor of Russia, because they don't want to get a bullet in the head or get sent to the gulag.

It's hard to have fair elections in Donbas and Crimea.
I dont feel like you directly answered my question.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:36 PM

1,346 posts, read 474,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
The majority want to be Russian. Not to mention LPR is +90% and DPR is +50% under Russian control right now, these areas will likely never be Ukraine again.
This effort at purging schools and media of the Russian language has been going on since at least 2004. While not being the proverbial straw which broke the camel's back, it was certainly an amount added that worsened the strain of things. Having Ukrainian as the primary language is fine but more steps should have been taken to respect the regional importance Russian has in the southern and eastern oblasts.

Who knows what would happen if the DPR and LPR ever came back under central Ukrainian control. Do people think there wouldn't be reprisals carried out by the ultranationalist elements? The militants were scoffing at Zelensky on camera years before this invasion started when he came to uphold the Minsk ceasefire and he backed down. There's an overestimation of how much authority he actually has in Ukraine.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:38 PM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
As long as those people who live in those regions can establish they actually lived there before the 2014 takeover by the terrorists, then yes they can decide - and also, all the Ukrainians who had to flee the area get to vote, too. Not the Ivan come latelys - they don't get a vote.
I wonder how much of a shift has happened with pro-Ukraine folk leaving and pro-Russian or Russians entering. I understand that is a problem with that concept especially if that is a lot of people. However, if Russia has successfully moved populations to tilt the honest vote in their favor then I dont see the point in hanging on to lost territory.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
This effort at purging schools and media of the Russian language has been going on since at least 2004. .
Speaking of the Russian language, what is the translation of your username?

Old 03-25-2022, 02:39 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

What "terrorists" are you talking about?

This is not the Ukrainian propaganda platform, sorry, so you will have to be more specific here.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:40 PM

43,118 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
The majority want to be Russian. Not to mention LPR is +90% and DPR is +50% under Russian control right now, these areas will likely never be Ukraine again.
They didn't like Zelensky because he did nothing about bringing the Ogliarch's to justice and were leaning back towards Russia and that Zelensky would lose the next election.

And then the Pandora Papers came out last October that showed his offshore accounts and flats in London and his popularity plunged.

Under Obama we made sure Ukraine stayed towards the West..a shot down plane and a coup.
And under Biden, we'll make sure that Ukraine stays towards the West.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:42 PM

1,346 posts, read 474,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Speaking of the Russian language, what is the translation of your username?
It's a Middle English term that's contextually referring to secrecy, privacy, and other such things of a self-internalised nature. Doesn't have any relation to Russian.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:42 PM

1,139 posts, read 403,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Russian mothers use diapers for probably only last 30 years... I remember when my younger one came, diapers were still very "suspicious" item. And it's totally not a rocket science to start making them.

As far as medicine goes, I'd be glad to buy only medicine that was invented 40-50 years ago, if it would make my health insurance (and cost of attending doctors in the first place) affordable.

Do you know that they have their medicine free and it's a quality one?
I thought under communism all health care is free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
One-way diapers are a catastrophe for the environment.
So now it's bad for environment? Do you think all of those that been using them for a while actually give a crap that it's bad for environment? They are not used to using anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies