Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 02:56 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
The reasons that there is good jobs, freedom, and every other perk of living in the USA is BECAUSE of how we run our country, it is all connected, and democracy is the backbone of our system. Nothing about the wages, good life, nice car home etc., would exist WITHOUT OUR DEMOCRACY. You call that a joke? Tell that to the billions of people who would like to emigrate and can only dream about it.
I agree that we have the best system and the results have been clear on this. We have the most innovation and free spirit, the American dream is still alive. However, we have to call out those that are supposed to represent us on the global stage. Those that operate under the guise of “American interests and democracy” when they really are protecting special interests. They make enemies and regime change everywhere, leaving behind destruction and corruption. This is what we did in Ukraine in 2014, in Libya, in Iraq, in Syria and countless other places. This is the actions of what is called the “deep state” that acts outside of our democracy and doesn’t represent the will of the American people. They give us a bad name on the global stage and create enemies with disregard for the consequences.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:56 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Ukrainian defenders gaining more ground. Russian invaders just ran and ran. "What are we doing here, killing women and children?" "I just want to go home and eat some real food."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq88CZcvKJM

Old 03-30-2022, 02:58 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
That is not correct, Ukrainians did everything in their power to keep people inside the city. Preventing them from leaving in either direction. If you want any proof to it, there has not been evacuation ordered or prescribed to civilian population by any of the local authorities at any point of time.
The absence of a piece of paper becomes your proof. Where and how would these citizens evacuate - officially that is, as in everyone out? Leave your home to live in a field where there's fighting?

Once Russia initially attacked, civilians started leaving various cities. About 100,000 from Mariupol. Ukraine was moving 90,000 civilians a day using rail. Filling trains, with many elderly initially deciding to remain behind. With the exception of Lviv (and cities in Donbass), all the large Ukrainian cities of Mariupol's size or larger are located in areas vulnerable to Russian attack. Kiev was thought to be the initial Russian goal.

If you look at the initial Russian movement out of the Crimea, its troops moved both towards to Mariupol and towards Zaporizhzhia. Other than roads towards Kherson, the main western rail corridor along with highways towards the west are thru Zaporizhzhia. (There is also a rail link from Mariupol to Donestk.)

Fleeing into an advancing army is problematic. IDK the status of the rail lines out of Mariupol by date. The city was largely surrounded by early March. From then on, Russians continuously shelled the highway corridor to the west. Turned bus convoys away. The last convoy they outright confiscated, with the drivers and a relief team missing as of a few days ago. Perhaps they've been released.

So what kind of "official" order do you want? The shelling never stopped, in any kind of agreement that I'm aware of between Russia and Ukraine. As Russians occupied more territory shrinking the perimeter, convoys of cars started making it out.

Quote:
"From 10:00 am Moscow time (0700 GMT) on March 11, 2022, the Russian Federation will declares a 'regime of silence' and is ready to provide humanitarian corridors," Interfax said, citing a statement from Mizintsev.

The five cities are Kyiv, Sumy, Kharkiv, Mariupol and Chernihiv. Ukrainian officials complain that Russians have broken the terms of previous agreements while Moscow accuses Ukrainian forces of disrupting the operations.

Not a single civilian was able to leave Mariupol on Thursday as Russian forces failed to respect a temporary ceasefire to allow evacuations, Ukraine's Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said on national television.
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...ities-agencies
Forget the he said-she said. But certainly the Ukrainians were negotiating for Mariupol. The International Red Cross tried to use an evacuation corridor from Mariupol at that time and said it was impassable. As for one of the most effective means of moving people quickly (rail):

Quote:
VIV, Ukraine, March 5 (Reuters) - Thousands of women and children, many weeping and numb with exhaustion, arrived in Lviv in western Ukraine on Saturday as the state railway put on more trains to rescue people from fierce Russian attacks on eastern cities.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ne-2022-03-05/

Then this, for Dnipro in the next contested area:
Rocket strikes have destroyed a railway station in Ukraine’s central-eastern Dnipro region, killing one person and damaging rails enough to prevent train passage indefinitely, Governor Valentyn Reznichenko has said.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...inues-liveblog

Last edited by EveryLady; 03-30-2022 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-30-2022, 02:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Ukrainian defenders gaining more ground. Russian invaders just ran and ran. "What are we doing here, killing women and children?" "I just want to go home and eat some real food."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq88CZcvKJM
Thank God! I hope they take Moscow by the end of next week and we would be able to enjoy the rest of our comfortable life arguing on less interesting topics.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:59 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
and they make phosgene from it....
You really have swallowed the disinformation campaign.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:00 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamDuncanitis View Post
I am the first to always criticize the US. Because it still does have many flaws such as voting restrictions, and police brutality. Aswell as geopolitical issues such as waging illegitimate wars in the middle east based on false pretense.

voting restrictions and police brutality are the most important flaws in the US?

Old 03-30-2022, 03:02 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamDuncanitis View Post
I am the first to always criticize the US. Because it still does have many flaws such as voting restrictions, and police brutality. Aswell as geopolitical issues such as waging illegitimate wars in the middle east based on false pretense.

The difference is that I don't have to worry about being served polonium tea for posting the above. Or lose 15 years of my life.

But there are those that would want it to be that way. Mainly of the Christian right/Theocratic fascist variety.
You haven’t noticed the rise in authoritarianism from the left in the last several years?

Old 03-30-2022, 03:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,891,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The absence of a piece of paper becomes your proof. Where and how would these citizens evacuate - officially that is, as in everyone out? Leave your home to live in a field where there's fighting?

As I reported before, my friend said on the last days of February, that local territorial defense warned them not to try to leave the city under the threat of death. Those who tried, were forced back, some shot.

He confirmed all of that after he evacuated, blaming all of the suffering on Ukrainian side. I know you ain't gonna listen to my second hand story, but I do believe him and not anyone else.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:05 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
As I reported before, my friend said on the last days of February, that local territorial defense warned them not to try to leave the city under the threat of death. Those who tried, were forced back, some shot.

He confirmed all of that after he evacuated, blaming all of the suffering on Ukrainian side. I know you ain't gonna listen to my second hand story, but I do believe him and not anyone else.
Seems legit.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Sorry Neuling it does not.

It's more civilized of course in this respect (of civil liberties) than the S.U was, but it's definitely not the working multi-party system that you see in Western countries.

But Russians don't mind too much, since they feel more protected this way at this point in time, from the Western attempts to destroy their sovereignty.

This whole ordeal with the neighboring Ukraine - the way it has been used by the West as "anti-Russia project," only confirmed their security concerns.
There still are 4 or 5 parties, representing left, right and center. Similar to Germany and many other European countries.
United Russia dominates, though (similar to the CCP in China). Not sure how much of that huge lead is due to election fraud, if any...

They have a president and a prime minister. Their weight seems to be the other way round, though, here in Portugal the PM has much more to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.