Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 07:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But you did not mention it, that was my point.
I also didn't mention housing prices going up, and beef prices, and vet care, and restaurant prices, and car repair and purchase prices, and vacation rental prices, ad infinitum.

What's your point, exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 07:17 PM

46,310 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I also didn't mention housing prices going up, and beef prices, and vet care, and restaurant prices, and car repair and purchase prices, and vacation rental prices, ad infinitum.

What's your point, exactly?
You did not mention a lot of things, my point.

It's forever?

Old 03-15-2022, 07:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The word “endure” makes it sound as if there is a choice.
Well, yes, I get the question of "how much more inflation can people endure" seeing that as a question of choice, before something must be done.

I just think this inflation has been a very long time coming. But consumer goods, in general, have had a stable price level for a very long time.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:20 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, yes, I get the question of "how much more inflation can people endure" seeing that as a question of choice, before something must be done.

I just think this inflation has been a very long time coming. But consumer goods, in general, have had a stable price level for a very long time.
Mostly due to sudden demand for goods the world over, still people have choices if they don’t like the price but government isn’t going to solve inflation.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:16 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
FF has become pricier than sit down restaurants.

I got a 4 piece chicken at Zaxby's and it was $9.50.
I had to ask.."is that 4 piece ?"

I may go to sit downs instead for lunch. $6.25 at the chinese restaurant for their lunch special and I get bigger portions.
I guess that $15/hour FF wage has to be paid for by someone but it certainly won't be me.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:04 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Fed hasn't made a move yet to increase rates although they said last June that is what they were going to do.

Meanwhile we have runaway inflation. 7.9% is what the media says but I personally see 20%.
7.9% is the national average...its over 10% in some places, & that is under the new way they calculate it.

I heard if they used the old methodology, it would be over 15%.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
7.9% is the national average...its over 10% in some places, & that is under the new way they calculate it.

I heard if they used the old methodology, it would be over 15%.
Shadowstats uses both old methods...1980 and 1990.

1980 would be the last time we had runaway inflation.

Alternate Inflation Charts

Old 03-16-2022, 05:14 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
How much more inflation can people endure?

Depends upon which people you are asking about.

Americans who live paycheck to paycheck can endure less than those who have savings, and live below their means.

Americans who are homeowners can afford a lot more inflation than renters because their home value is rising with inflation.

Americans that don't own homes, & live on fixed incomes like SS or SS Disability, & have no savings cannot endure this for much longer. This is the group in peril.

I can endure more inflation than 98% of Americans, but less than 2% can endure.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:44 PM

30,443 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Shadowstats uses both old methods...1980 and 1990.

1980 would be the last time we had runaway inflation.

Alternate Inflation Charts
Carter stuck it to us. RR was not much better. Only Bill seemed to do a good job bob.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Carter stuck it to us. RR was not much better. Only Bill seemed to do a good job bob.
Volcker saved us. Powell though seems very wishy washy and afraid to make moves.
Powell is blaming covid and the supply chain and not his own policy of printing money.

It took Volcker 4 years to conquer inflation.

https://josephgiglio.sites.northeast...r-the-economy/
The no-nonsense, independent-minded Volcker oversaw a program of financial austerity that left a deep imprint on the U.S. economy and financial system. Unlike elected officials, he understood that there are times when you must incur short-term costs to achieve long-term benefits. Volcker is widely regarded as one of the best Fed chairpersons in history.
Volcker’s steadfast commitment to his shock therapy and willingness to take unpopular policy actions made him the target of opprobrium by politicians of all ideological stripes. He believed central bankers needed to steer the economy free of political considerations. Protesting his policies, home builders sent the Fed unused two-by-fours, auto dealers mailed keys to the cars for which there were no buyers, and farmers drove their tractors around the white marble Fed building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies