Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 05:03 AM

59,084 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
My son lives in an apt. in a big East Coast city his building has charging stations.
Inside or outside?

IMO, there are a LOT of "kinks" to be worked out before EV's cam become mainstream.

If they DON'T work oit the kinks.........

I posted this earlier and as usual not a single pro EV poster responded.

" UNSAFE BATTERIES

This is the reason why some underground car parks in Germany don’t allow electric-powered vehicles onto their premises. What you see in this video is an electric car with a shorted cell at a charging station setting off all the rest.
It's a chain reaction from the first to the fiery end. Note the time it took to destroy 3 cars, 1.15 minutes.The first car was destroyed in about 38 seconds.
The fire cannot be extinguished with water.
No fire department will approach a burning battery-powered car because of the toxic gasses produced during the fire.
No recycling place will take the car's remains because of the toxic chemicals the batteries contain.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-15-2022 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 05:09 AM

59,084 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
None of that means anything per this conversation. EVs will win the day because they will perform better.....and in many cases do right now.
First you say, "None of that means anything per this conversation"

Then you say, "EVs will win the day"

My list is of PREDICTION and YOURS IS a prediction.

If you don't see the comparison, then you have no credibility with me.

Just out of curiosity, did you read my post about the EV cars catching on fire while charging?

And just for the record for the umpteenth time, I am NOT anti-EV. I just don't think TODAY, they are ready for "prime time".

Old 04-15-2022, 07:52 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
330 million Americans-and only 4 million new car sales. MOST Americans can't afford a new vehicle.
There are 122M American households.
Discounting pandemic issues for 20-21, 17 million cars are sold a year.

14% of households buy new cars each year.

The average new car is kept for 6 years, so 84% of households buy a new car on a 6 year cycle.

Most American CAN afford a new vehicle.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:07 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Have you read any of this thread? Really?

The name calling and childishness is 90:10 at least on the left side on about 95% of ALL issues!

And I don't recall YOU ever going after ANY of them. Why is that?

Me not responding to any post you find unfair/childish etc. means nothing.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:14 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We are retired and will eventually go down to one car. Our children are spread all around the country. We would not take long car trips in an electric car, so we will stay with gasoline. I suppose a hybrid is possible.

At any rate, we are in our 70s, and the Rav4 we have has under 20k miles on it, so it’s probably our last car anyway.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Inside or outside?

IMO, there are a LOT of "kinks" to be worked out before EV's cam become mainstream.

If they DON'T work oit the kinks.........

I posted this earlier and as usual not a single pro EV poster responded.

" UNSAFE BATTERIES

This is the reason why some underground car parks in Germany don’t allow electric-powered vehicles onto their premises. What you see in this video is an electric car with a shorted cell at a charging station setting off all the rest.
It's a chain reaction from the first to the fiery end. Note the time it took to destroy 3 cars, 1.15 minutes.The first car was destroyed in about 38 seconds.
The fire cannot be extinguished with water.
No fire department will approach a burning battery-powered car because of the toxic gasses produced during the fire.
No recycling place will take the car's remains because of the toxic chemicals the batteries contain.
There is no question there will be many pain points along the path to more EVs.

I didn't respond because there isn't much of reason to respond............people are killed in car fires every day. In the broad sense so what? Everyone knows or should know the risks and decide whether driving makes sense.

At my kid's apt. all parking is very well covered but "outside". It's one of those rather modern style apts. with several floors of parking as the core of the space and apts. along the exterior and above.

There are a few (not sure maybe 3) reserved parking spots with charging stations per parking lot floor.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We are retired and will eventually go down to one car. Our children are spread all around the country. We would not take long car trips in an electric car, so we will stay with gasoline. I suppose a hybrid is possible.

At any rate, we are in our 70s, and the Rav4 we have has under 20k miles on it, so it’s probably our last car anyway.
That makes sense to me.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Sorry to harsh your buzz, but you won't get your laugh. The car's AC takes a miniscule amount of power compared to the drive motors, like about a week's worth. Plus EVs consume no power while stopped, unlike ICE vehicles that sit there sucking gas to run that AC.
The newer quick-cycle auto AC units that run on refrigerant like 1234YF like my Jeep diesel and my wife's Audi gas turbo 4 banger.......run at about a 3-4% mileage penalty in hot climates during city driving, less at highway speeds.

Old school AC used more like 15-18%. And really old school R-12 units even more, I can still remember the AC in my dad's old V-8 4x4 Ford F-250 (1968, 352 Windsor if anyone cares) bogging the motor for a moment when the AC kicked in and you could always feel the AC tugging when it was on........it blew freezing cold air tho.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:35 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I just turned 60, and we just retired. I'd seriously like an EV (and as anyone that has seen my posts here knows, I'm as far from a left-wing, virtue-signaler as you can possibly get). I've only had 3 new cars in my life, 2 in my 20s when I didn't have the responsibilities and expenses of a spouse. We're finally getting a new one. EVs do appeal to me-minimal maintenance, far less systems to fail, much lower operating cost. But this will be our primary vehicle, the new, reliable one we'd have for trips (have an older truck for "truck stuff"). I've been watching lots of EV videos on road tripping. It's certainly possible, and frankly, now that we're retired and have time, I'd kind of look at it as an adventure and learning experience. But, financially, I'm not in a financial position where I want to make a bad decision. We're about to see a flood of new EVs, with more range, better functionality, and as economies of scale and competition kicks in, I think we're going to see a rapid drop in price-meaning massive depreciation on current-gen ones. Much like a last-gen cell phone-no one really wants a 2015 Model S with it's more limited range, instead of a '22 model. I'm thankful for the early adopters (including today's buyers) that are helping bring us to this future, much like early computer buyers did. Early adopters of new technology bring us all along, provide the funds for companies to scale production and hit those economies of scale. Tesla is moving very aggressively to reduce the cost of batteries, battery packs and is embracing design for manufacturing at a scale that leaves the rest of the automotive industry far behind. When I can buy a Model Y for $35k, I probably will (really like the Kia EV9 concept, we'll see what the future brings).

So regarding our buying decision, we aren't getting an EV. We wanted more room for hauling our dogs, my wife in particular didn't want the "adventure" of a road trip in an EV and I'm not ready to pay the huge price premium. We seriously considered a Sorento PHEV, but test drove a Telluride at the same time. Wife liked the Telluride better, so that's what we're getting (and it was less than the PHEV). Maybe in 2-3 more years we'll go the EV route, depending on the market, both for new EVs and used cars. Though the way Biden is sinking the stock market, and the way my life's savings is going up in smoke, we may be looking at a '72 Pinto in 2 more years.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:47 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I just turned 60, and we just retired. I'd seriously like an EV (and as anyone that has seen my posts here knows, I'm as far from a left-wing, virtue-signaler as you can possibly get). I've only had 3 new cars in my life, 2 in my 20s when I didn't have the responsibilities and expenses of a spouse. We're finally getting a new one. EVs do appeal to me-minimal maintenance, far less systems to fail, much lower operating cost. But this will be our primary vehicle, the new, reliable one we'd have for trips (have an older truck for "truck stuff"). I've been watching lots of EV videos on road tripping. It's certainly possible, and frankly, now that we're retired and have time, I'd kind of look at it as an adventure and learning experience. But, financially, I'm not in a financial position where I want to make a bad decision. We're about to see a flood of new EVs, with more range, better functionality, and as economies of scale and competition kicks in, I think we're going to see a rapid drop in price-meaning massive depreciation on current-gen ones. Much like a last-gen cell phone-no one really wants a 2015 Model S with it's more limited range, instead of a '22 model. I'm thankful for the early adopters (including today's buyers) that are helping bring us to this future, much like early computer buyers did. Early adopters of new technology bring us all along, provide the funds for companies to scale production and hit those economies of scale. Tesla is moving very aggressively to reduce the cost of batteries, battery packs and is embracing design for manufacturing at a scale that leaves the rest of the automotive industry far behind. When I can buy a Model Y for $35k, I probably will (really like the Kia EV9 concept, we'll see what the future brings).

So regarding our buying decision, we aren't getting an EV. We wanted more room for hauling our dogs, my wife in particular didn't want the "adventure" of a road trip in an EV and I'm not ready to pay the huge price premium. We seriously considered a Sorento PHEV, but test drove a Telluride at the same time. Wife liked the Telluride better, so that's what we're getting (and it was less than the PHEV). Maybe in 2-3 more years we'll go the EV route, depending on the market, both for new EVs and used cars. Though the way Biden is sinking the stock market, and the way my life's savings is going up in smoke, we may be looking at a '72 Pinto in 2 more years.
I just did a quick search and it seems like people are paying a decent amount for 2015 Model S's.

https://www.edmunds.com/inventory/sr...2Fmodel%2Fyear

It looks like you are planning on hanging onto this car for a long time so depreciation shouldnt be a huge factor for you.

I am not suggesting you get one. I dont think people should get something they arent comfortable with. My mom actually ordered a Model X about 5-6 months ago and then she canceled the order. The X is very expensive and she got nervous that she would have trouble with the new technology. It isnt hard to learn but if someone is nervous about learning it then they probably wont have the commitment to buy into it. I really like the minimalist style and controlling almost everything from my touch screen. But if that gives someone pause, then they shouldnt get it. I want to feel like I am in a future car but people who get comfort in things staying the same; the Tesla isnt for them. But I think there are other EVs that are more traditional, so maybe that would work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies