Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 06:57 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
None of that means anything per this conversation. EVs will win the day because they will perform better.....and in many cases do right now.
"None of that means anything per this conversation"

Sure it does

"EVs will win the day" Just another biased "prediction".

I am NOT saying they will or they won't.

I don't pretend to know what will happen in the future and neither does anybody else.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-16-2022 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 08:25 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Sure it does

I don't pretend to know what will happen in the future and neither does anybody else.

It is a prediction of sorts but one derived from reading current and developing realities not soothsayer like guesswork. Further, I'm not biased, at least not in the ways you imply.

The evidence comes for all sides. Yes there is governmental pressure and funding that I don't like. However, GM, Volkswagen, Ford, Porsche, Toyota, Tesla etc. and the battery makers are changing footprints right now. They are not talking about doing so they are doing so.

Old 04-16-2022, 03:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Sure it does

You got that right.

Quote:
It is a prediction of sorts but one derived from reading current and developing realities not soothsayer like guesswork. Further, I'm not biased, at least not in the ways you imply.
You are like way behind in the technology. Alternative fuels/propulsion systems are likely to dominate and surpass electric.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:01 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree with the gist of your comments but again, the Model Y is in another league performance, tech and feature wise compared with the Rav & CRV. I personally wouldn't consider a slow car like the Rav or CRV but did consider the Porsche Macan when I bought the Model Y, the Model Y is quicker than even the Macan in virtually all street driving situations. The Model Y also has a lot more storage capability than the CRV or Rav.

A Hyundai Ionic 5 is similar function as the Rav 4 & CRV and with the federal credit starts about $32K. The Ionic 5 still will be quicker on the street than the Rav or CRV.
I looked up the stats of the model Y and it looks to have about the straight line performance capabilities of the base model C7 corvette, EXCEPT for top speed where the C7 is almost 190 mph and the Tesla is 155.

Also, given the fact that it looks very tall and not exactly low and wide like a sports car, I don't think the aero would be very good in terms of high performance road track racing, and I highly doubt that it has a sports car suspension.

Also, these numbers assume full charge...as the charge fades, so does the performance.

Also, the fun of shifting gears and hearing the exhaust is neutered and gone.

The performance is certainly not bad but again, I don't think people are buying Teslas for "performance" as a primary reason.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Is Biden pushing for long hall truckers to go EV? Imagine truckers having to stop every couple hours to sit there for an hour or more to charge their truck. Is he pushing for the airlines to go EV? What about container ships?

It’s going to be comical when cities like Los Angeles require their people to go EV when they already have blackouts. Imagine all these EV’s on the 405 in stop and go rush hour traffic during the summer running their AC. So many cars stuck off the side of the road calling for a charge. I’ll be watching the 6 o’clock news just for the laughs.
Not only that, what about ATV's?

I can throw an extra 20 gallons of gas in the bed of my RZR and drive all day and night. I never recall seeing a charging station in the woods or sand dunes.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:26 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You got that right.

You are like way behind in the technology. Alternative fuels/propulsion systems are likely to dominate and surpass electric.

Why not regale with your thinking?

Old 04-16-2022, 06:44 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,459,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post

We have hundreds of years worth of fossil fuels with witch to make gasoline.
This is the only part of your post I take issue with, because it is completely and utterly false. At current depletion the rates, we have, at most 46-47 years of oil left. And that's not taking into account the likely vastly exaggerated amount of oil reserves. That's also not taking into account the increasing demand in the future.

The rest of your post is on point though. EVs are nothing more than a high-tech fad. There's nothing "green" or "renewable" about them whatsoever. Let's not forget that it takes vast quantities of fossil fuels to make the EVs in the first place.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
This is the only part of your post I take issue with, because it is completely and utterly false. At current depletion the rates, we have, at most 46-47 years of oil left. And that's not taking into account the likely vastly exaggerated amount of oil reserves. That's also not taking into account the increasing demand in the future.

The rest of your post is on point though. EVs are nothing more than a high-tech fad. There's nothing "green" or "renewable" about them whatsoever. Let's not forget that it takes vast quantities of fossil fuels to make the EVs in the first place.
Haha. You seriously just made that statement down to a precise, 2 year window?

Please, by all means, show us your source for that.

I see you simply googled this and omitted a major portion: "at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves"

And are you including shale and the other emerging technologies? Perhaps you should consider this too?: https://www.forbes.com/sites/judecle...h=42f36bf75b1f

Old 04-17-2022, 05:11 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
I looked up the stats of the model Y and it looks to have about the straight line performance capabilities of the base model C7 corvette, EXCEPT for top speed where the C7 is almost 190 mph and the Tesla is 155.

Also, given the fact that it looks very tall and not exactly low and wide like a sports car, I don't think the aero would be very good in terms of high performance road track racing, and I highly doubt that it has a sports car suspension.

Also, these numbers assume full charge...as the charge fades, so does the performance.

Also, the fun of shifting gears and hearing the exhaust is neutered and gone.

The performance is certainly not bad but again, I don't think people are buying Teslas for "performance" as a primary reason.
My new 2019 C7 was junk deven. Worst lag i ever saw, A8 auto trans shudder and a bad rear end friend and had to lemon law it at 400 miles. The C6 with the A6 was much better. Plus no 8 to 4 banger crap i had to buy a range for to keep it in 8 banger mode all the time. No wonder i went EV lee.

Old 04-17-2022, 05:12 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:

The evidence comes for all sides. Yes there is governmental pressure and funding that I don't like. However, GM, Volkswagen, Ford, Porsche, Toyota, Tesla etc. and the battery makers are changing footprints right now. They are not talking about doing so they are doing so.
I'll repeat this AGAIN!

I posted this earlier and as usual not a single pro EV poster responded.

" UNSAFE BATTERIES

This is the reason why some underground car parks in Germany don’t allow electric-powered vehicles onto their premises. What you see in this video is an electric car with a shorted cell at a charging station setting off all the rest.
It's a chain reaction from the first to the fiery end. Note the time it took to destroy 3 cars, 1.15 minutes.The first car was destroyed in about 38 seconds.
The fire cannot be extinguished with water.
No fire department will approach a burning battery-powered car because of the toxic gasses produced during the fire.
No recycling place will take the car's remains because of the toxic chemicals the batteries contain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies