Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 07:47 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You have to ask yourself, why are so many women on anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety medication? Often BOTH. Most are. Most Men are NOT.
That is because men are more hesitant to see a doctor when something is wrong. Instead, they tend to self medicate with beer or liquor.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:56 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,461,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The pill is made from hormones, not oil.

You really should listen to those of us who came of age as the pill came on the market, and college for women became more than going for an MRS degree. Women's right to vote was a step along the way, but women did not become fully free to live their lives as they wished until they were able to control reproduction. Women understand this at a gut level. I guess men need to be taught.
The manufacture and distribution of the pill on a mass scale requires an underlying abundant oil economy. This is not the same as saying that the pill is made of oil.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:57 AM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I would argue that feminism started gaining major social traction around the time women got the right to vote, long before the pill was invented. What kept women directly dependent on men for all of history until recently was the fact that they had no economic opportunities other than prostitute. It is abundant oil, with its 25,000 hours of manpower in a single barrel, that has opened up a plethora of economic opportunities for women. And as stated before, 'The Pill' itself is a product of abundant oil.
Even with economic opportunities, pregnancy and its consequences prevented women from working. What year were equal opporunity laws passed? 1964. In 1968 the pregnancy discrimination amendment was passed. Before then you could be fired for being pregnant and many companies would not hire married women due to impending pregnancy. It was into the 70's that job advertisements were listed as mens jobs and womens jobs. And shall we discuss the gender gap in pay.

To this day what keeps many women dependent is the decision or misfortune of pregnancy. It interrupts jobs/career/promotions/pay raises. Child care is a nightmare.
The pill gave women the ability to have control over when and if they became pregnant.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:16 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
There have always been men who couldn't get women. Always. There are more men now than ever who have the issues that have in the past prevented certain men from having relationships. Autism is a big one. We used to call them the weird kid, the loner kid, the oddball. Later in adulthood would be the guy who lives with his mother. They didn't get dates, male or female. They were mostly male however and there are so many more now. (Note: not ALL autistic people!)

Back then they didn't get violent, they read books or engaged in hobbies, hung out with other "nerds", took mom to lunch, etc. Now, I have no idea what is happening in the minds of these men. Most of the angry men on the angry guy internet boards claim to be autistic and/or having other neuro or psych issues. No these guys would not have been dating material in the past either.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:24 AM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Even with economic opportunities, pregnancy and its consequences prevented women from working. What year were equal opporunity laws passed? 1964. In 1968 the pregnancy discrimination amendment was passed. Before then you could be fired for being pregnant and many companies would not hire married women due to impending pregnancy. It was into the 70's that job advertisements were listed as mens jobs and womens jobs. And shall we discuss the gender gap in pay.
In a job interview in 1983 I was asked by a male supervisor if I had any intention of getting married and starting a family. What a ridiculous question.

In my head I said "None of your damn business", but instead I said "Not anytime soon."

But I have no doubt I made much less per week than the males in the company with the same education, experience, and job title. That place saw itself very much a place for women to work until they got married, or after their kids flew the nest.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:02 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
You have to ask yourself, why are so many women on anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety medication? Often BOTH. Most are. Most Men are NOT.

Because men are conditioned to see their emotions as weak. So rather than do something reasonable, such as seek mental health help, they instead choose to self-medicate through alcohol, drugs, or even an over-reliance on video games (and I say that as a woman who games!). There are plenty of women who do this as well, but on the balance, men seem less likely to take responsibility for all aspects of their health. It's why married men tend to live longer - their wives or husbands push them to go to the doctor rather than ignore issues.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
In a job interview in 1983 I was asked by a male supervisor if I had any intention of getting married and starting a family. What a ridiculous question.

In my head I said "None of your damn business", but instead I said "Not anytime soon."

But I have no doubt I made much less per week than the males in the company with the same education, experience, and job title. That place saw itself very much a place for women to work until they got married, or after their kids flew the nest.
Some companies were still in that mindset but a lot of others had moved on. The tech co I worked for in the 80s was progressive I guess you'd call it and many women were in supervisory/mgmt positions and many of them had children. I had a problem with a male supervisor re sexism, and human resources took care of it. Things were catching up then but still had a way to go.

I dont' know any women who didn't work back then except for stay at home moms which many families could afford to do at that time.

It is important that people complaining about male/female roles and relationships remember that even though things weren't perfect women have been able to self support for a long time (not like men, but it was do-able). My mom had single female friends back in the 1950s-60s who never married and always worked and were able to support themselves.

The problems now are more complex, it isn't about women suddenly not needing men to support them because they haven't needed men for that for a long time.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:10 AM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Yes thats the way it was not so very long ago. The powers that be actually had to make it illegal to ask women if they were pregnant or planning to start a family or married.

A friend of mine went for a job interview with a small insurance company. The owner/interviewer told her she had the job but needed to get her husbands approval first. This was about 1980/81.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:52 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Excellent question, and it’s certainly not surprising that most are…and sounds like more medication for them may be needed.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes thats the way it was not so very long ago. The powers that be actually had to make it illegal to ask women if they were pregnant or planning to start a family or married.

A friend of mine went for a job interview with a small insurance company. The owner/interviewer told her she had the job but needed to get her husbands approval first. This was about 1980/81.
Small companies get more leeway that large ones, but back then it was easier to just say my company, my rules, my values or else. And many older men running those small companies had old time ideas. I would have just walked away from a place like that, and have. I always hated condescension and would have called that guy out. I remember the little condescending smiles from older men, ugh. At one of my summer jobs as a teen, I observed a female supervisor's boss would call her his "little ray of sunshine". It would tick me off to no end but she had to put up with it. He didn't bother me thank gods, maybe I was his dark cloud of gloom.

I went through some crap at other jobs, I can see why women might be ticked. It was disrespectful to treat working women as less than working men or to patronize them. We performed our jobs and needed to pay our bills too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies