Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2022, 06:39 AM

27,753 posts, read 28,863,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
There’s a huge amount of non good looking guys and women getting married. Sounds like folks need to lower their standards instead of thinking they’re entitled to date or marry someone that doesn’t find them good looking.
"You can't always get what you want" are words of wisdom from an old drugged up rock and roller.

The vast majority of young people today will eventually find someone, fall in love, get married, have sex and children ...

Everything falls in line and life is almost destined that way. You can't change human nature.

Old 06-03-2022, 06:46 AM

19,805 posts, read 12,356,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes, and such guys can't even get a dance when they ask a girl for one at a night club. But the same girl screams like silly with a YES! when a hot looking guy asks her.
Nothing new there. Everyone wants the hotties at the club. My mom in the 1950s would only dance with the handsome guys. She said the less attractive guys would get too pushy (she was a bombshell), they were so excited to dance with someone like her they would become stage 5 clingers after one dance.
I found the same to be true decades later when I went out to clubs. Some things don't change much.

I can see online how it is even easier to want to dismiss anyone but the "fantasy" guy. Men are less picky because they are hoping for a hookup and casting a wider net.

Both men and women should calm down a little bit and try to be realistic about dating and relationships. It is hard to do that online or at places like clubs which both promote hookups.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:49 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,324,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
"You can't always get what you want" are words of wisdom from an old drugged up rock and roller.

The vast majority of young people today will eventually find someone, fall in love, get married, have sex and children ...

Everything falls in line and life is almost destined that way. You can't change human nature.
Bingo…and “if you can’t be with the one you love, then love the one you’re with”

Folks are obviously looking to “out kick their coverage”, and even more obvious they’re not going to find a mate anytime soon.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:00 AM

2,953 posts, read 999,191 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea
If you were a traditional minded American male you are absolutely out of your mind to consider marriage these days. It’s just simply not worth it. And no this is not a bash on women it’s just a reality check Of where we are today and how things have evolved.
Isn't it surprising that, in spite of all this, most Americans still end up getting married and having kids at some point in their lives?

Also, married people are usually considerably wealthier than single people.

It seems that life has certain laws which you can't change no matter how hard you try.

Both of these things are true at the same time. The over-legalization of marriage means that divorce all too often becomes something very much like a criminal trial. Freezing of assets, discovery to examine phone records to find out who may have committed the first offense followed by an unofficial assignment of guilt terminating in the punishment of the 'guilty' party by an unequal assignment of assets and custody. It's an abominable system and I definitely see why some men who have been financially and parentally raped by this process would never want to marry again and others who haven't married may watch this and decide to not marry at all.

That said - Marriage is such a long-standing social institution that it could almost be called an evolutionary trait discovered over millennia as a success factor for economic and personal security as well as the continuation of the species. ... But all of that depends on the success of marriage and we have gone terribly wrong in that regard.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:04 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,003,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Both of these things are true at the same time. The over-legalization of marriage means that divorce all too often becomes something very much like a criminal trial. Freezing of assets, discovery to examine phone records to find out who may have committed the first offense followed by an unofficial assignment of guilt terminating in the punishment of the 'guilty' party by an unequal assignment of assets and custody. It's an abominable system and I definitely see why some men who have been financially and parentally raped by this process would never want to marry again and others who haven't married may watch this and decide to not marry at all.

That said - Marriage is such a long-standing social institution that it could almost be called an evolutionary trait discovered over millennia as a success factor for economic and personal security as well as the continuation of the species. ... But all of that depends on the success of marriage and we have gone terribly wrong in that regard.
I guess you never heard of no fault divorce. It has been around for decades. No need to determine guilt anymore.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:09 AM

2,953 posts, read 999,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I guess you never heard of no fault divorce. It has been around for decades. No need to determine guilt anymore.
HAHAHA! Get a clue. It doesn't exist in many states. Oh yeah superficially the legal systems in many places mouth words to that effect but the reality of the process is totally different. My advice - Don't go into marriage thinking you're somehow 'safe' if things don't work out.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:25 AM
bu2

24,150 posts, read 15,003,802 times
Quote:

And you never know exactly what attracts people to each other. The prettiest woman I ever dated asked me out. The 2nd prettiest basically told me to ask her out. Lots of less attractive (both in looks and other characteristics-personality, intelligence, etc.) turned me down.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:49 AM

36,815 posts, read 31,098,258 times
Quote:
HAHAHA! Get a clue. It doesn't exist in many states. Oh yeah superficially the legal systems in many places mouth words to that effect but the reality of the process is totally different. My advice - Don't go into marriage thinking you're somehow 'safe' if things don't work out.
No fault divorce exists in all 50 states. Seventeen of the 50 states are no fault only meaning they do not allow divorce to be based on fault. Estimates are that only between 2 and 10% of all divorces ever go to trial.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:14 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,256,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And you never know exactly what attracts people to each other. The prettiest woman I ever dated asked me out. The 2nd prettiest basically told me to ask her out. Lots of less attractive (both in looks and other characteristics-personality, intelligence, etc.) turned me down.
Women are generally subtle when they're interested. They sneak little things into conversation that you can pick up on if you're paying attention. Sometime's they have a 'look' or they'll touch you while talking. These were the clues my girlfriend gave me.

So, even though she is considerably younger (21 years), 2 inches taller (she's 5'10", I'm 5'8") and a head turner I took the chance and asked her out. She accepted and we've been together now for almost 6 years. I most definitely 'over kicked my coverage' with her. We are best friends. Heck we're best everything. All because I was paying attention to the signs.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:14 AM

4,323 posts, read 2,516,909 times
Quote:
98 pages. Got a date yet?

In that amount of time I could have lost 30lbs, added 75 lbs to my bench press, gotten a tan, bought some new clothes and whitened my teeth. But I didn't. Because I'm an old married guy and I don't have to. If I was single though I'd be laser focused on putting an end to that awful horniness by making myself less disgusting. Chop chop!
The "self improvement" treadmill drives many men mad. I've seen it myself. Guys relentlessly "self improving" and still not being able to get so much as a date.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies