Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 08:16 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times

Advertisements

Have any suspicions come out on who the leaker is?

I wonder if Schiff was anywhere near those documents right before the leak…….

Old 05-04-2022, 08:22 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,304,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I hate to see abortion rights being overturned but this country is going to get its karma for this one. More unwanted babies will mean higher taxes for these same conservatives.
You may not have been around when Roe was decided, but I remember well the arguments and how great America was going to be once you could get an abortion on demand.

There would be no more unwanted children, so childhood poverty would plunge, poor, unwed women wouldn't be trapped in poverty with kids they didn't want/couldn't afford. Child abuse would plummet too.

How did that work out? In 1975 the percent of children under 18 in poverty was 17.1%. 45 years later the percent of children under 18 in poverty is 16.1%. How is that possible? Roe was going to fix that.

In 2021 almost 4 out 10 children were born to unwed mothers. Why? How? Roe was going to fix that too, so poor, unwed mothers wouldn't be saddled with the responsibility and they'd be able to get jobs, education, etc. Why didn't that happen.

PS taxes would be lower if we hadn't killed 63 millions Americans over the last 49 years. we'd have about 50 million more taxpayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Same-sex marriage has only been legal for a short time. My reading of the Bible tells me that homosexuality has existed for a much, much longer time. The one is not dependent on the other. In any case, the Supreme Court is not banning anything if they overturn Roe v. Wade. And if they were to overturn Obergefell v. Hodges, they wouldn't be banning gay marriage either.
The difference is, there needs to be a case presented to the court to overrule Obergefell. On what basis could a state pass a law, contrary to Obergefell, that would not get struck down at lower levels.

Roe was able to be presented to the court because Roe and Casey were both so ambiguous. Had either one set specific timelines and guidelines about the restrictions on abortion there likely would never have been a challenge.

Again The Left outsmarted themselves. They fought tooth and nail every minor restriction to abortion, including the ones that were the most commonsense ones. Had they been content to compromise to retain the core of Roe, it might never have been challenged, but their intransigence led to state laws and lawsuits. If they had accepted Mississippi's 15 weeks as reasonable or tried to negotiate to maybe 17 weeks, there would have been no SCOTUS case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
not up to a state to decide whats best for their citizens. States can kick the bucket! its up to the citizens.
OMG that is ridiculous. States, cities and the federal governments do it EVERYDAY.

Quote:
There will be babies thrown into the garbage like trash
Newsflash. That happens today. Why didn't the birthing person have an abortion

Quote:
I guess conservatives would rather ruin society than allow woman to have complete control of her reproduction.
Why is this concept so hard for Lefties. It is not about controlling a woman's reproduction. She can do anything she likes with her reproduction, as long as she does no harm to the other person, the unborn baby. A society is judged by how it treats its most vulnerable. Who is more vulnerable and powerless than an unborn baby.

Abortion should not post sex birth control. People need to exercise their options to prevent pregnancy.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:39 PM

23,648 posts, read 12,569,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I certainly don't, so please don't try to lie.
pot/kettle

Quote:
But it's a matter of FACT that many people on the Christian Right quite deeply hate gay people. Haven't you heard of the website - godhatesfags?
Not until just now when you mentioned them. But then I don't normally hang around the nether regions of the internet where trolls like those with Westboro hang out. How is it that you would compare a bastardized sect like Westboro with ALL of those on the right who believe in God? Or, do you just USE them to hit at those on the right like you USE gays and trans for the same reason? Sorry but you're not coming out looking too good here.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:41 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You may not have been around when Roe was decided, but I remember well the arguments and how great America was going to be once you could get an abortion on demand.

<snip>
^^So much horse hockey on so many levels hardly worth responding. However, very briefly, childhood poverty the result of lousy tax law increasing income disparity, low wages, technology eliminating jobs or requiring an education beyond the ability of many. We already have FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE in the world unable to function in society. We don't need more. Especially we don't need those born of criminals and societal misfits and those otherwise unable to provide a decent start in life. I'd say those unborn are better off as is society.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Again The Left outsmarted themselves. They fought tooth and nail every minor restriction to abortion, including the ones that were the most commonsense ones. Had they been content to compromise to retain the core of Roe, it might never have been challenged, but their intransigence led to state laws and lawsuits. If they had accepted Mississippi's 15 weeks as reasonable or tried to negotiate to maybe 17 weeks, there would have been no SCOTUS case.
Mississippi only has one abortion clinic. That one abortion clinic doesn't do abortions after 16 weeks anyways. What exactly was this law passed for? To get to the supreme court to overturn Roe.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:50 PM

17,670 posts, read 6,928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
^^So much horse hockey on so many levels hardly worth responding. However, very briefly, childhood poverty the result of lousy tax law increasing income disparity, low wages, technology eliminating jobs or requiring an education beyond the ability of many. We already have FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE in the world unable to function in society. We don't need more. Especially we don't need those born of criminals and societal misfits and those otherwise unable to provide a decent start in life. I'd say those unborn are better off as is society.
How kind of you to decide that the dead unborn are better off dead. This is liberal compassion.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I certainly don't, so please don't try to lie. But it's a matter of FACT that many people on the Christian Right quite deeply hate gay people. Haven't you heard of the website - godhatesfags?
I have heard of that website from people who are neither Right, nor Christian.

The Westboro "Baptist" Church, which was not recognized by any Baptist denomination, was about 20 people from 3 related families.

The founder, Fred Phelps, ran for elective office 5 times; each time as a Democrat in Democratic primaries. In 1992 he finished second with almost 50,000 Democrats voting for him, 30% of the ballots cast.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:56 PM

13,471 posts, read 4,304,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I love how people have this presumption that being opposed to abortion makes them morally better. Perhaps they would be if they actually cared about the well-being of the child once out of the womb that would be the case, but it's not.

They are morally better. They don't want to kill babies at any stage or harm them in anyway. I say that's a lot more moral then killing them or ignoring that is going on-on a massive scale for 50 years. Keep telling yourself the opposite.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter You may not have been around when Roe was decided, but I remember well the arguments and how great America was going to be once you could get an abortion on demand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
^^So much horse hockey on so many levels.
You are disputing the very raison d'état for the American Birth Control League, which in 1942 changed its name to Planned Parenthood?

Old 05-04-2022, 09:01 PM

13,471 posts, read 4,304,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Mississippi only has one abortion clinic. That one abortion clinic doesn't do abortions after 16 weeks anyways. What exactly was this law passed for? To get to the supreme court to overturn Roe.

It's call regulating. Abortions should be legal and rare. 16 weeks is plenty of time to get an abortion. That's 4 months. We only get 30 day eviction notice to move or have to give 2 weeks notice when leaving a job. 4 months is plenty of time and if that is your #1 issue in life (a very rare minority) then start packing and move out of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies