Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 09:18 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The supreme court interprets our constitution and that's it. Our constitution says nothing abortion though. So if they end roe v wade what amendment would their decision be based on.
The root of the decision is a right to privacy. All sorts of other rulings could be overturned with the logic in this opinion.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:20 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The root of the decision is a right to privacy. All sorts of other rulings could be overturned with the logic in this opinion.
If there's no basis within the Constitution (and there's no general right to privacy within the Constitution), then maybe that means all sorts of other rulings should be overturned (if they relied on this imaginary right)

Old 05-02-2022, 09:22 PM

6,038 posts, read 2,856,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The supreme court interprets our constitution and that's it. Our constitution says nothing abortion though. So if they end roe v wade what amendment would their decision be based on.
The fact that there is nothing in the Constitution that says abortion must be free and legal is what they will base their decision on...

Are you being facetious? You answered your own question and you proved why Roe V Wade should not have been allowed to stand, in the first place.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:24 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really though.

It's not 1830 anymore where mobility was challenging. There will be some do-gooder organizations that will organize abortion vans to get people who don't have the means to just cross state lines.
In March, Citigroup announced that they would cover travel for employees seeking abortions.

In April, Yelp announced that they would cover travel for employees seeking abortions.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A fetus with a heartbeat is a person.

A mother or doctor cannot legally end the life of a person.
So, you quite passionately want a doctor imprisoned who gave a woman an abortion to save her life, because the wastes from her fetus was fatally poisoning her? If so, how long should the prison term be? Is 10 years long enough?

Old 05-02-2022, 09:27 PM

17,670 posts, read 6,928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So, you quite passionately want a doctor imprisoned who gave a woman an abortion to save her life, because the wastes from her fetus was fatally poisoning her? If so, how long should the prison term be? Is 10 years long enough?
That would be fine as long as their license to practice medicine was also permanently revoked.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:29 PM

604 posts, read 1,029,534 times
I would imagine that any elected official in a state that votes to make abortion illegal would likely be voted out in a hurry.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Our founding fathers did not concern themselves with women's issues. So why are some state legislatures so concerned with women's issues? It's none of their business, just like the founding fathers
But it's a matter of FACT that state Republican legislators will tell you that they have to stand for and act to ban nearly all abortion to get votes to be reelected. Many of their constituents who feel that way live in rural parts of Red States, who have no access to abortion without a long drive, anyway. Maybe you would be greatly surprised how many conservatives or Republicans want all or nearly all abortion banned.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:41 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,381,719 times
I think the question for many moderates will be, "Is a woman's right to make her own reproductive decisions more important than ending the reign of the Progressives?" For me, the answer now is NO -- but, again, I would not even guess how most moderates and Independents think about that.

After spending most of my adult life as a Democrat, I am now a conservative -- except for being mostly pro-choice and my belief that the environment should be one of this country's highest priorities. However, if I did not now think that other issues were more important* (due to the actions of the Biden administration) than the right of a pregnant woman to have an abortion at least during the first trimester, I would now be tempted to vote Democratic in November just to protest this decision. (Of course, this is IF, in fact, it will be the decision of SCOTUS to overturn Roe vs. Wade.)

Now I do not know where most moderates place their priorities as far as current issues are concerned, but IF the overturn of Roe vs. Wade actually occurs, I think that the November election will be significantly closer than it would have been otherwise-- and I think that the conservatives on the Supreme Court might very possibly end up regretting their decision.

* To be specific, the (imo) out-of-control "wokeism", the Biden's administration threat to freedom of speech, and the threat of vaccine mandates and the current inflation. Before Biden was installed as POTUS, I would absolutely refuse to vote for any candidate who was not pro-choice for at least the first trimester of pregnancy.

Last edited by katharsis; 05-02-2022 at 10:33 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 09:42 PM

6,038 posts, read 2,856,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But it's a matter of FACT that state Republican legislators will tell you that they have to stand for and act to ban nearly all abortion to get votes to be reelected. Many of their constituents who feel that way live in rural parts of Red States, who have no access to abortion without a long drive, anyway. Maybe you would be greatly surprised how many conservatives or Republicans want all or nearly all abortion banned.
If that is the will of the voters, then what is the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies