Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 09:42 PM

19,818 posts, read 9,381,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I would imagine that any elected official in a state that votes to make abortion illegal would likely be voted out in a hurry.
Not in many red states -- or at least not if I can believe what I have read.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:46 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
If Roe is overturned, this is not going to be “a distraction” by any means. It will be one of the most significant and pivotal issues that many voters will use to evaluate who they want appointing Justices. Right or wrong, eliminating what was a constitutionally guaranteed right to 50% of the population is a legitimate issue for voters to weigh in on.

Perhaps you could share with us where in the Constitution it says that.
Funny how some are calling this "legislating from the bench", yet that's exactly what Roe V. Wade was to begin with. Can't make this stuff up.

This, however, is in that Declaration of Independence thingy:
"..endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. ——"

The other side at least has something written down on a government document they can argue with.

Sounds like it will just be left up to the states. Not the worst idea in the world.

Last edited by sub; 05-02-2022 at 09:58 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 09:46 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
In many states it will be. I don’t live in those states thankfully. Hopefully those states have people lined up to start adopting all those babies and paying to raise them.
In many it will be illegal after a prescribed period of time. In a few, it may be banned altogether.

No matter what, it returns properly to a local decision. Our founders said zilch about it, and we were founded under "all powers to the local level not explicitly granted the federal government".

Old 05-02-2022, 09:49 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Special thanks tonight to Ruth Bader Ginsberg for making Amy Coney Barrett's vote possible.

Thank God she did not heed Obama's plea to retire during his term.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
IF this is true and IF abortion is completely outlawed in some states, can you imagine having a 13-year-old daughter who was raped and made pregnant, and then being told that if she doesn't want to have the baby, that she must go out of state to end the pregnancy?

As if the trauma of the rape wasn't enough for her and her family to deal with!

So now, anyone who cares about such things, will need to add checking the laws of the state where they are considering moving before making the decision. Granted, that will not be a "deal breaker" in many cases, but most people do not think they will have to check state laws until they are confronted with an issue in which a state law might cause a major problem for them.
And if a doctor says the 13 year old child isn't mature enough to safely give birth, then the people who want abortion banned will simply say the doctor must give the child a Cesarian at the 7th or 8th month.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And if a doctor says the 13 year old child isn't mature enough to safely give birth, then the people who want abortion banned will simply say the doctor must give the child a Cesarian at the 7th or 8th month.
Was that supposed to be sarcasm?

Old 05-02-2022, 09:53 PM

2,047 posts, read 859,695 times
What’s insane to me is liberals feel like it should be legal to come stick a dagger through your kids heart up to about the age of a year old post birth and have it be legal to now we have the Supreme Court throwing back the legalization of any and all abortions to the states. Which is what I agree with. Abortion will still be legal for the most part, so don’t freak out too much you left whack jobs. However common sense needed to prevail. In liberal states, you can get an abortion literally like the same day the baby would have been naturally delivered. It’s ridiculous. It’s murder. If you haven’t made up your mind whether you’re keeping the child or not by the first three months, you’re keeping the child…or you’re murdering it.

That said, It will definitely be interesting going forward to see how this all plays out. My personal opinion is, that we’re in for some kind of divide of this country based on more conservative values versus liberal mental illness. And this is just a step in that direction.

Old 05-02-2022, 09:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There have been 63 million abortions in the United States since 1973.

I think "epidemic" would be quite an understatement.
But the rate of abortion is well down since Roe v Wade.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:01 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I don't think most people, including most women, are as eager to guarantee the "right" to kill an unborn baby as you seem to think they are. In fact, most people find the practice revolting and immoral.
I think you severely underestimate how many people want the right to an abortion. It’s such bad timing I suspect it’s leaked by democrats to set it up for the midterms. This will not help Republicans in local or statewide elections.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:02 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,224,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
It is amazing how many people think abortion would be illegal the moment Roe V Wade is be overturned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
How can anything possibly be 'triggered' by something that hasn't even happened yet
--> There are a number of states that have adopted so called "trigger laws" that work exactly this way. The moment Roe is overturned, or shortly thereafter, they go into effect. https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2...h-ones-and-why I'm not arguing their right to do so, just answering the posts that question this. As I have noted before, I support choice but also believe it to be a states' rights issue. I just hope as a matter of policy some of these states will moderate their positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I don't think most people, including most women, are as eager to guarantee the "right" to kill an unborn baby as you seem to think they are. In fact, most people find the practice revolting and immoral.
I think some will be surprised. I remember when Roe was still fairly new and it did not feel settled and the political activism there was around it. A lot of younger people take it for granted. I don't remember the last time abortion was a major issue in a campaign. There are those that wouldargu that's because people don't care enough. I don't think that is entirely correct. I think it's because it was moot. If Roe is overturned we'll start seeing candidates have to answer more pointed questions about it, and it will become an issue again. And rightfully so. Because people do care, and many who do support choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies