Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 08:22 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm neither stupid nor irresponsible. Decades ago, I was quite surprised to find that the small, ugly mass that I passed was an embryo. I had no idea that I had been pregnant. I successfully avoided that for years.
My Mom had a miscarriage in 1963, a couple of years after my younger brother was born. She had no clue she was pregnant until the bloody mess came out.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:22 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I kind of did.

Pendulums swing.

And despite what the right is saying, I fully believe Marriage Equality Act is the next to go.

There's that much hate in the US. That much desire to control other people, despite the right saying the left is controlling them.

Who's trying to control who here?
Your argument is weak since we just spent the past 2 years with mask mandates and vaccine mandates as well controlling which businesses can be open etc. They did this to prevent people from being dying. One can debate if the strategies were successful or not. We probably did save lives overall but at what cost? Look at all the problems in our economy today.

The right is going after abortion. And yes they are trying to control women and their choices. But they are doing it to prevent abortions which they consider as murder. According to reason.com this might lead to a 15-20% reduction in overall abortions. Is it worth all the hoopla for a small reduction in abortions? Who knows.

Both parties try to control. And both think they are altruistic in doing so. But both sides chip away at our freedoms. That is why I always vote Libertarian. Only party that cares about all Americans.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:23 PM

23,628 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
As I have said here I am pro choice with some limitations on when it should be allowed. And I have stated that birth control should be heavily promoted. Much more so than today.

But suffer? There are alternatives to getting into a situation where a woman needs an abortion, especially women who will be living far from a state where its available.

1. Birth control. Promote that option and less women will have unwanted pregnancies
2. Medicated abortions. There will be outlets for that even if a state tries to ban them.

It just seems some of the pro choice on here are afraid to address the reality that most women have unwanted pregnancies because they did not bother to use proper birth control.
agree

Old 05-05-2022, 08:40 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great points. It is wonderful to watch SC undoing federal government overreach.
Indeed. At last.

Next on the docket (hopefully): Unconstitutional laws that violate the 2nd amendment. They have needed attention ever since the Supremes heard US v. Miller in 1939, and the defense didn't even show up, giving a huge windfall to the anti-gun-rights prosecution. They wrote up a series of lies that nobody was there to refute, and the justices rubber-stamped them into an "opinion". They've been avoiding ANY re-hearing of that case, like a vampire avoiding sunlight, for nearly a century since.

Then, the grand-daddy of them all: Laws that violate the 10th amendment. That the amendment that says the Fed govt only has the authority to regulate things explicitly listed in the Constitution.

Judging just from the amount each program costs in the Fed budget, less than 1/4 of the things Congress makes laws on, are permitted to the Fed by the Constitution. All the rest are reserved to "the States, and the People".

Old 05-05-2022, 08:52 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The justices on the right are kicking back this fundamental right to state's choice, and the states run by the right will diminish or even completely take away a woman's right to terminate a first trimester pregnancy.

As they're doing already, even before the decision was kicked back to them. They're making it, right now, as hard as they legally can for a woman to obtain a first trimester abortion.

You will see states that completely outlaw it in the coming years.
Then vote in those states. Discuss the merits of abortion, and get the laws you want.

Why is it your side thinks it cannot win the debate? Your side always wants a tiny minority in the federal government to force your abortion laws on the entire nation?

I live in Wisconsin, we are not insane here. I'm confident that our abortion laws will a take into account rape, incest etc..., and abortions in the first trimester will be allowed.

What state do you live in, where you think all abortions will be forever banned?

Old 05-05-2022, 08:56 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
That's why they have the pregnancy.

The reason they have an unwanted pregnancy, is because they had sex with someone they don't think would be an adequate father and husband, and/or they don't think that they themselves would be an adequate mother and wife.

There are lots of women who just like to hook up. Men too of course. Hopefully they don't get pregnant from that person but they do, they know what they have to do. Now its not quite as easy everywhere.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Many people care about their fellow citizens in other states. Not to mention that people are constantly moving around this country for jobs and other reasons. Many of us would like to have consistent laws and rights throughout the states.
And if we would have been able to write abortion laws over the past 40 years, we would have consistent laws and rights throughout the states. If R v W does can overturned, we will see versions of abortion laws representing the extremes of both sides, for a couple years until calmer heads take charge. This is inevitable.

I will bet you that their will be more states with laws which allow all abortion for any reason at any time, than there will be states which ban all abortions.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:00 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
And again, the pill and/or condoms are available FOR FREE at county health offices or at Planned Parenthood’s all over the country. Used correctly and consistently or in conjunction, they have an effectiveness rate of over 95%.
Contraception is not perfect and many are careless, still a woman’s issue not the government. Many civilized countries allow abortion, Israel and some other countries pay for abortion, do we want 3rd world laws.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:01 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Then vote in those states. Discuss the merits of abortion, and get the laws you want.

Why is it your side thinks it cannot win the debate? Your side always wants a tiny minority in the federal government to force your abortion laws on the entire nation?

I live in Wisconsin, we are not insane here. I'm confident that our abortion laws will a take into account rape, incest etc..., and abortions in the first trimester will be allowed.

What state do you live in, where you think all abortions will be forever banned?
Texas. I expect that abortions to save the mother's life will be banned, with the argument that it's "God's will". Current Texas law does not include exceptions for rape or incest, because our Lt. Governor thinks the life of the unborn child is more important than forcing a woman to relive her rape for 9 months. He could not care less about women. I get the impression that he thinks the Taliban has the right idea in keeping women uneducated and subject to the whims of their husband or father.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Which is not reliable until after you first missed period, so three weeks or more depending on cycle right there. Even more if you have an irregular cycle.

Once you confirm pregnancy you would already be over half way to the deadline in TX.

Then there is getting an appointment to be seen by a prescribing physician, getting time off of work, collecting the funds for a Dr appointment and the medication.
Well, if you are going to be so irresponsible, that you have lots of unprotected sex, it's your responsibility to test your self every couple weeks for possible pregnancy. Regardless of whether or not your state has strict abortion laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies