Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 08:43 AM

9,502 posts, read 4,336,034 times

Advertisements

It's a possibility, but it would only go to prove how dumb Dems are. They simply can't - or won't - understand that Roe v Wade may be overturned because it violates the 10th Amendment. Right now, Dems have an advantage at the federal level, so they're just peachy with allowing the federal government to overstep their Constitutionally mandated authority. When the shoe is on the other foot - Repubs in power - they're going to wish they hadn't supported Federal overreach. However, we all know Dem's are too stubborn or stupid to understand this. They thrive on simplistic, knee-jerk responses to issues rather than thinking about them from a strategic, long-term standpoint. It's why they spend money like drunken sailors, support asinine ideas like student loan forgiveness, and don't understand that they've damaged Black communities with their pathetic attempts at "helping them".

Old 05-04-2022, 08:44 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
I think we'll all know very soon how politicized the SCOTUS is at this juncture. Once the republicans realize that this may cost them mid-term elections and the ability to swing the house in their favor one of the newer SC judges will change their mind amazingly. At first I thought this was leaked by a democrat, but the more I think about it I could see the repubs leaking it to test the waters.

If when it was leaked it causes some uproar, but dies down quickly with everything else going on in this world then they leave it as is and the final ruling comes out. If it causes an uproar and re-energizes the democratic base and they can see polls shifting then it's, "hey this was just a draft and debates were still going on, which is why the final ruling now upholds RvW."

I'll be up front in that I am a democrat living in a Red state. I planned on voting for the current R governor for re-election as I feel he has done a good job with the state and the D candidate is a little too far left for me. If this draft becomes a final ruling then I would actually move my vote to the D candidate over this one issue. I don't want to, but I can't in good conscience vote for someone that I know will pass restrictive laws against women's rights.
This to me shows motivation for the leak to have come from the left. It’s a good way to sway people who lost faith in the Dems to switch their vote back to them after walking away.

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Don't expect liberals to be responsible. Their problems are never their fault; they're always someone else's fault.

195 posts, read 274,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What a weak move on the SCOTUS! LOL

Basically they refused to make a decision at the federal level. Leaving it up to the states is just keeping the abortion war raging for years to come. SCOTUS should have made a decision either way, and this would have ended the whole thing for good, because we would have a federal level solution.

I think the states should all send it right back to SCOTUS and demand they rule on it, (not avoid offending anyone).
SCOTUS does not create laws.

Show me where in the constitution it defines when a fetus is considered a child.

If the left and general population are all overwhelmingly supportive of late term abortions then send it through as amendment.

This topic is NOT binary like it keeps getting explained as. It vastly shifts depending on the number of weeks. 8 weeks? Yes majority say it’s fine. 20 weeks? Shifts completely opposite.

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
I think we'll all know very soon how politicized the SCOTUS is at this juncture. Once the republicans realize that this may cost them mid-term elections and the ability to swing the house in their favor one of the newer SC judges will change their mind amazingly. At first I thought this was leaked by a democrat, but the more I think about it I could see the repubs leaking it to test the waters.

If when it was leaked it causes some uproar, but dies down quickly with everything else going on in this world then they leave it as is and the final ruling comes out. If it causes an uproar and re-energizes the democratic base and they can see polls shifting then it's, "hey this was just a draft and debates were still going on, which is why the final ruling now upholds RvW."

I'll be up front in that I am a democrat living in a Red state. I planned on voting for the current R governor for re-election as I feel he has done a good job with the state and the D candidate is a little too far left for me. If this draft becomes a final ruling then I would actually move my vote to the D candidate over this one issue. I don't want to, but I can't in good conscience vote for someone that I know will pass restrictive laws against women's rights.
It won't affect the mid terms whatsoever regardless of the outcome. Democrats will still be Democrats and Republicans will still be Republican voters. There are far more pressing issues in this country than the abortion one.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:45 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You don’t even support my choice as a woman to share my observation about what pro choice actually means.
You can share your opinion all you’d like. You’ve certainly done so in over 21,000 posts.

It just doesn’t change the fact that Pro Choice is a phrase coined to reference to supporting the entire range of choices when a woman is pregnant. You can try and conflate it to mean ALL choices about EVERY subject under the sun, but it doesn’t.

14,267 posts, read 6,950,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don’t know that having a baby is akin to ruining a women’s life. It may not be a part of the plan but the idea that it will ruin their life is extreme.
Sometimes you have to get out of your own bubble to see how others are affected. Yes, we all inhabit our own bubbles, living and working amongst people similar to ourselves. Less fortunate people can have their lives devastated by an unplanned pregnancy.

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
It's going to be an interesting mid-terms. The Democrats are running the country into the ground at a rate never seen before in our history. However, SCOTUS is going to galvanize the left to come out and vote. I don't think Roe will be the only conservative victory they hand down. I expect them to greatly expand 2nd Amendment rights in the case against New York's "justifiable need" requirement. Also, hopefully, they will take a bite out of affirmative action.
Moderators for US and World Forums

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Not sure why you said "admit" rather than "realize"? Or "predict"?

But yes, I agree, this is not the Right's finest hour, as far as realizing what the country actually wants, which is early term abortions on demand.
The "admittance" is in the fact that they are saying (admitting) that yes, they would have been in big trouble in November without some big controversy like this one. I have never known any party, left or right, to admit that they will probably lose an election that is six months away.

Maybe I am wrong about the actual truth of that, but I am just saying that I don't ever remember hearing anything like that by the Democrats OR the Republicans so far in advance of an election.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:46 AM

9,502 posts, read 4,336,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Not sure why you said "admit" rather than "realize"? Or "predict"?

But yes, I agree, this is not the Right's finest hour, as far as realizing what the country actually wants, which is early term abortions on demand.
Roe v Wade isn't about abortion. Try to keep up. Hint: 10th Amendment. Read it. Learn it. Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies