Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 10:16 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,297,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Hillary Clinton & RBG made this latest ruling possible. Bless their hearts. HRC was a horrific candidate, opening the window to POTUS Trump, and RBG said "NO" when Obama wanted her to retire.

It's arrogance and power. It runs deep on the left but they gave Trump an opening like going in a highway and he put 3 judges. It was a lay up.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:20 PM

13,460 posts, read 4,297,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Senate's job is to give advice and consent or someone they approve.

That's what they did.

What's the problem?

They are full of b.s. If they had the numbers all of Trump's 3 picks would have been rejected by the Democrats 5 minutes after Trump made the announcement. Hearings? please, save us the circus. Elections has consequences.

The GOP told Obama: "We have the majority and don't have the numbers don't send your pick. Save the country from a circus and rejection. What's the problem?

Old 05-05-2022, 10:23 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I kind of did.

Pendulums swing.

And despite what the right is saying, I fully believe Marriage Equality Act is the next to go.

There's that much hate in the US. That much desire to control other people, despite the right saying the left is controlling them.

Who's trying to control who here?
Your concerns are warranted. Justice Alito’s dissent in OBERGEFELL v. HODGES makes the same or similar legal arguments as his current opinion regarding Roe v. Wade.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...4-556_3204.pdf

Old 05-05-2022, 10:54 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Default We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.~George Orwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes it’s great to observe the politicization of the court first hand. Don’t like a precedent then, stack it with your all star team and overturn any laws your party dislikes, next up same sex marriage.

This is great for their credibility.
Agree. It’s worth noting Justice Alito is employing the same airquote ‘logic’ of Plessy v. Ferguson by allowing the states to violate the individual rights of their people in any way their legislatures deem airquote ‘reasonable’ as the opinion put it in Plessy.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:13 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The hate seems to coming from all the people desperate to kill the unborn.

Why all the focus on abortion?

* the morning after pill is available over the counter in all 50 states. It is 89% effective within 3 days of unprotected sex.

* birth control pills are available in all 50 states. They are 91% effective when used properly.

* condoms are available in all 50 states. They are 98% effective when used properly.

* IUDs are available in all 50 states. They are 99% effective.

Edit…your comment about the “desire to control other people” is off the mark. It is the left who wants forced vaccinations, restrictions on free speech, restrictions on gun rights and property rights….and so,‘‘em can still get abortions, even in Texas.
What about the low percentage cases where these measures are NOT effective? Abortion should be allowed as a last chance, right? If not, why not?

Old 05-06-2022, 03:31 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Five Supreme Court Justices lied in their testimony to the Senate.

Another Justice is married to a woman who for years has taken money from those with cases are before the Court, and who, according to all available evidence, was involved in trying to overthrow the government.

Yet, he has not recused himself from these cases in which he has a clear conflict of interest.

Not everyone can be Oliver Wendell Holmes, Thurgood Marshall, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, or ... , but still, it's the Supreme Court, for crying out loud.

To see it run by liars and those on the take is just sad.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:36 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But like it or not, as a liberal or from the left, I'm opposed to mask mandates.

As a liberal, neither do I support covid vaccine mandates.
Unfortunately, you are the exception not the rule. The vast majority on the left showed us that they don't care about personal bodily choices of masks and vaccine mandates, and that Dr. Fauci/CDC/WHO knows what's best.

And yes, there is irony that the right cares about abortion after just claiming "my body my choice" during the pandemic, but at the end of the day, the left will lose far more progress if Roe v Wade is overturned and we can simply all point to "the government knows what's best for your body just like the left claimed during the pandemic."

Old 05-06-2022, 04:59 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveIt View Post
Nonsense - you like extreme circumstances to justify an extreme position - like incest and rape - all exceedingly rare in pregnancies. The vast, vast majority are women who just do not want to be mothers.
Correct. That accounts for 98.3% of all abortions. And VOLUNTARY participation in unprotected sex accounts for 95% of unintended pregnancies.

Why not just eliminate the potential need for an abortion by using contraception?

Birth control is MUCH easier to get than an abortion. There are over 4,000 taxpayer-funded Title X Family Planning Clinics located nationwide, and only 272 abortion clinics.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/29/healt...rnd/index.html

Old 05-06-2022, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Her doctor didn't explain that the antibiotics that were prescribed might make birth control ineffective. The birth control failed. The man's condom broke. The 16 year old girl believed the boy who told her she couldn't get pregnant the first time. There's numerous reasons. In real life, birth control fails something like 10% of the time. And that's ignoring the fact that it really is none of anyone elses business what decisions a woman makes about her reproductive health.
Actual birth control failure (all kinds) accounts for only 5% of unintended pregnancies. Guttmacher's (Planned Parenthood's research subsidiary) own statistics.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Given that my example was about myself and my experience about not thinking I was pregnant due to implant bleeding, you may want to rethink who I am.

I wasn’t using BC because we wanted another child. I had significant bleeding just like a period right when my period was due. How in holy hell was I supposed to know it was implant bleeding? Are you suggesting that in order to be responsible women should take a pregnancy test even during their periods? Good Lord. You are just ridiculous.
Some women bleed when the embryo implants. If you're having sex, yes, take a pregnancy test. What's hard about that. They're $1.25 at Dollar Tree and just as accurate as the name brand tests.

Women need to be FAR more proactive in their reproductive health than automatically relying on abortion whenever the hell they get around to it.

Actual birth control failure (all kinds) accounts for only 5% of unintended pregnancies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies