Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 11:39 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
It will have some affect. Not end of the world huge, but it will move the posts a bit toward the Dems. This does not mean a huge number of changes, but some very close ones might change.
I think it will have a big impact at the state level. This will be a huge motivator for voters on both sides to come out to vote for Governors and state legislators that support their position on abortion. Pro-choice people in red states will be coming to the polls in hopes of turning back the abortion bans that will suddenly go into effect this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 11:40 AM

6,010 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I think it will have a big impact at the state level. This will be a huge motivator for voters on both sides to come out to vote for Governors and state legislators that support their position on abortion. Pro-choice people in red states will be coming to the polls in hopes of turning back the abortion bans that will suddenly go into effect this summer.
It is nice to see someone say that this will cause voters on BOTH sides of the issue to turn out for local races, which I totally agree with.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:52 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The New Right is far more Libertarian than Puritan. They are not standing in the way of marijuana legalization, for example, or for decades past notions like regulating private sexual activity.

The philosophy of the day is "don't tell me what to do" - abortion is a complete outlier in all this because of the second life involved.
A few exceptions:

Don't have an abortion
Don't say gay in school
Don't promote religion in school, except Christianity
Don't use a restroom other than your birth gender
Private companies like FB and Twitter can't be allowed to decide which content to publish

Old 05-05-2022, 11:58 AM

6,010 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
A few exceptions:

Don't have an abortion
Don't say gay in school
Don't promote religion in school, except Christianity
Don't use a restroom other than your birth gender
Private companies like FB and Twitter can't be allowed to decide which content to publish
Lying to make an argument cheapens it... Just sayin'.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:00 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I don't know. The message they are broadcasting is that abortion will be banned. Last night on "The Five" the resident Lefty Geraldo Rivera said that women will be using wire hangers again... The debate got rather heated on set so I don't know if he really feels that way but there are plenty that do as evident by the screaming mobs of protesters.

The Dems really know how to whip up a storm for themselves. We have seen Granny Warren, Kamala, Biden and the Bunch all telling us that this is the end of Abortions when what is actually happening is the Supreme Court is handing it back to the States so they can make the decision about it. Why can't they tell us the Truth for once? Of course they would much rather have us all fighting each other to distract from their disasters.

Will this latest outrage turn voters back to the Dems? Of course it will because they know that lies work and they are experts at spinning them to get the Sheeple moving.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:07 PM

1,134 posts, read 404,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
I think you might be surprised. I know a handful of people who have gotten abortions. Not all of them vote blue, but I'm seeing some "what are we going to do about this??" type posts from some of them, along with some others who usually seem pretty conservative.
That's the kind of response DNC politicians and their supporters in the media are hoping for. And the narrative many are pushing is not only about reproductive rights, it's about the "Republicans Grand Plan" to reverse many other rights with their "planted conservative judges".

They're turning it into "We warned you this would happen with Republicans in the White House."

The front page headline news just about everywhere has moved from the War in Europe to the "Battle of Abortion Rights". The abrupt transition has been startling.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:46 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's right, nobody is going to change their vote based on the current abortion debate.

The Democrats are in for a very hard and painful lesson come November when Democrats are voted out 'en masse'. They think Americans support their abortion as contraception ideology.

Truth is, people only care peripherally about abortion. What they really care about is their own lives and being able to pay the bills and provide for their families. Biden was handed the potential for a massive economic recovery on a silver platter and he blew it by blowing out the economy with unnecessary spending to turbo charge inflation and re-introduce regulation at all levels of government.

And if that weren't bad enough, he ruined America's reputation by abandoning "no man left behind" when he left hundreds of Americans behind and ceded billions of military equipment to the Taliban in the biggest foreign embarrassment in US history

And if that weren't bad enough, he blew the border wide open for millions of illegals to flood in

And if that weren't bad enough, he came out in favor of sex change operations for little kids and had the DOJ label concerned parents as "domestic terrorists"

I could go on, but I don't have to.

[FONT="Arial Black"]The Abortion debate is a complete nothingburger[/FONT] in the upcoming elections. Expect a historic meltdown when that sinks in come November
It continues to astound me that some of you cannot make the connection between a woman's ability to pay the bills in an inflationary economy and the financial stress created by an additional mouth to feed.

I cannot presume to know the results of the coming election, but I can tell you this: Democrats will be pushing the issue of abortion hard and working overtime to get out the vote while Republicans will downplay the overturning of RvW (just as you are doing) and work to suppress the vote.

Old 05-05-2022, 02:06 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
IF Dems were not motivated before, they will be now...the GOP counted on a red wave which is typical in midterms for the party outside of power...but one of the reason's that usually happens is the Dem base gets disillusioned that their side can't get done what we want to get done and so we don't show up...but usually one of our base's big issues is a back burner issue b/c there was no chance SCOTUS would overturn it, until now with this activist court...so because of that the Dem base will show up...
So the GOP may still take the Senate and House...but I think it will be much more difficult now...

Which base is now going to be more motivated?

Old 05-05-2022, 02:47 PM

104 posts, read 46,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
IF Dems were not motivated before, they will be now...the GOP counted on a red wave which is typical in midterms for the party outside of power...but one of the reason's that usually happens is the Dem base gets disillusioned that their side can't get done what we want to get done and so we don't show up...but usually one of our base's big issues is a back burner issue b/c there was no chance SCOTUS would overturn it, until now with this activist court...so because of that the Dem base will show up...
So the GOP may still take the Senate and House...but I think it will be much more difficult now...

This hits on it pretty well. The Democrats generally have more accurate policies but can't govern to save their lives.The Republicans just chose the wrong issue, so Democrats are going to come out to vote in November.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:24 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
It's got to be the GOP base and independents who got totally stabbed in the back by Biden. Blue collar voters are a huge block, and what does Biden do on day 1 but cancel the Keystone XL pipeline and its 10,000 jobs, most paying 6 figures. Then they leave behind 80 billion in military equipment in Afghanistan leaving hundreds behind, and he wants to make them pay for over-educated college grads who can't find a job by forgiving their loans?

Say WHAT?

People are mad, much more angry at the Democrats than at abortion which is not even going to be banned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies