Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 02:50 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
It will have some affect. Not end of the world huge, but it will move the posts a bit toward the Dems. This does not mean a huge number of changes, but some very close ones might change.
I’m thinking this abortion dust-up does produce some wishful thinking in the media and a few of their favorite libs may scream and attempt to stoke the fear. That’ll alienate as much as anything else. On balance there’ll be no effect either way. (The media and their favorite libs are generally far out of step with normal folks.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-06-2022 at 02:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 07:54 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's right, nobody is going to change their vote based on the current abortion debate.

The Democrats are in for a very hard and painful lesson come November when Democrats are voted out 'en masse'. They think Americans support their abortion as contraception ideology.

Truth is, people only care peripherally about abortion. What they really care about is their own lives and being able to pay the bills and provide for their families. Biden was handed the potential for a massive economic recovery on a silver platter and he blew it by blowing out the economy with unnecessary spending to turbo charge inflation and re-introduce regulation at all levels of government.

And if that weren't bad enough, he ruined America's reputation by abandoning "no man left behind" when he left hundreds of Americans behind and ceded billions of military equipment to the Taliban in the biggest foreign embarrassment in US history

And if that weren't bad enough, he blew the border wide open for millions of illegals to flood in

And if that weren't bad enough, he came out in favor of sex change operations for little kids and had the DOJ label concerned parents as "domestic terrorists"

I could go on, but I don't have to.

The Abortion debate is a complete nothingburger in the upcoming elections. Expect a historic meltdown when that sinks in come November
I don't know one way or the other. Abortion could be a big motivator for the Democrat base, which disproportionately uses abortions, and women generally who tend to vote Democrat more than Republican. It could also encourage their money sources to dig even deeper. Their supply of money is unlimited.

On the other hand, it could encourage Republicans. They've tried and tried to get Roe overturned. Now their effort appear to have succeeded through their control of the Supreme Court nomination process. They'll be motivated to regain it in case any of the conservative justices ever dies or is murdered.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:57 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ Spoken by a man, and as men it's misogynistic to think that women shouldn't have full control of their own bodies, and that what they choose to do with their bodies (when not in physical contact with us) is any of our business.
I hate to break it to you but without women there would be no humanity. Women bear the children that inherit the Earth. That life begins at conception and the debate begins to what rights apply and when to the baby. A pregnant woman's body does not belong to any man but it is folly to claim that it does not in a very material way also belong to the new person inside for the period of pregnancy

Old 05-06-2022, 09:04 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's right, nobody is going to change their vote based on the current abortion debate.

The Democrats are in for a very hard and painful lesson come November when Democrats are voted out 'en masse'. They think Americans support their abortion as contraception ideology.

Truth is, people only care peripherally about abortion. What they really care about is their own lives and being able to pay the bills and provide for their families. Biden was handed the potential for a massive economic recovery on a silver platter and he blew it by blowing out the economy with unnecessary spending to turbo charge inflation and re-introduce regulation at all levels of government.

And if that weren't bad enough, he ruined America's reputation by abandoning "no man left behind" when he left hundreds of Americans behind and ceded billions of military equipment to the Taliban in the biggest foreign embarrassment in US history

And if that weren't bad enough, he blew the border wide open for millions of illegals to flood in

And if that weren't bad enough, he came out in favor of sex change operations for little kids and had the DOJ label concerned parents as "domestic terrorists"

I could go on, but I don't have to.

The Abortion debate is a complete nothingburger in the upcoming elections. Expect a historic meltdown when that sinks in come November
Well, I would think and hope that you are correct in your opinion, but how do you explain the fact that Trump (supposedly) won in November and that (supposedly) 81 million people voted for him? People's hatred for Trump was so intense they voted in a senile old man instead. (Granted, this is about a man, but why wouldn't that passion extend to an issue?)

I mean, I think that what follows could be argued and would depend on one's own particular situation, but things were not all that bad for most people until the pandemic hit -- and yet some people say that the current disaster of the Biden administration in so many different ways is not as bad as the U.S. was under Trump's administration.

How do you explain that 81 million supposedly voted for Biden and that some intelligent people st ill say that Biden is not as bad of a POTUS as Trump was?

(And I am not a Trump supporter although I voted for him in 2020 -- but NOT in 2016 -- and my vote was just an anti-Biden vote.)

P.S. Although I am liberal when it comes to abortion and the environment, on all other issues I think that I am conservative, and when I vote for a candidate, I vote for who shares most of my opinions.

Last edited by katharsis; 05-06-2022 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-06-2022, 09:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
The court’s decision will be made soon. Every emotionally traumatized liberal will become less ignorant when they realize abortions will still be had by whoever wants one. The doxxing and harassment of SC justices will anger people who don’t care about which way the decision goes, and motivate them to vote. The planned scheme by the left with their signs and bullhorns ready immediately after the leak, intimidation and threats against SC justices, having to cancel appearances out of fear for their safety, screaming at their residences, threats, is what most reasonable people are sick of. It’s embarrassing to see liberal congresspeople acting like spoiled school kids who didn’t get their way and, worse, encouraging violence. Get them out.
What irony!!

America became a free and independent nation due to citizens resorting to violence (against their own govt)!! Without that 'violence', we would still be under rule of a King today.

Its most ironic when an American citizen claims to oppose 'violence in politics'. LOL We celebrate this very thing every July 4th for petes sake.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:20 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,743,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What irony!!

America became a free and independent nation due to citizens resorting to violence (against their own govt)!! Without that 'violence', we would still be under rule of a King today.

Its most ironic when an American citizen claims to oppose 'violence in politics'. LOL We celebrate this very thing every July 4th for petes sake.
Comparing the start of a nation breaking away and beginning its own, to a bunch of spoiled kids who are living in an established civil society but who are out there threatening justices, defacing church property and promoting chaos, with congresspeople calling for violence, is not even a legitimate comparison. Try again.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:30 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Well, one thing is for sure, we will probably have record turnouts on both sides for the mid terms and general. One side wants to get this disaster of an administration out , the other wants to have the right to extinguish a life.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:53 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I doubt it.

Women will still be able to get an abortion. You can literally order abortion pills through the mail.
Some states are considering banning them

Old 05-06-2022, 11:05 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I don't know one way or the other. Abortion could be a big motivator for the Democrat base, which disproportionately uses abortions, and women generally who tend to vote Democrat more than Republican. It could also encourage their money sources to dig even deeper. Their supply of money is unlimited.

On the other hand, it could encourage Republicans. They've tried and tried to get Roe overturned. Now their effort appear to have succeeded through their control of the Supreme Court nomination process. They'll be motivated to regain it in case any of the conservative justices ever dies or is murdered.
? How do they “disproportionately” use abortions? The first step of using an abortion is actually getting pregnant, which requires you to have XX chromosomes and menstruation. Registered republicans tend to skew older. Millennial women skew heavily democrat, and they and early Gen Z are the women who are most likely ones using abortions at the moment. That just makes it proportional to who makes up the party.

As for whether it will encourage more Gen Zs to vote, that is up for debate. However, many young women may want to have a say in what they can do with their bodies in terms of having access to a full range of birth control options.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:23 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I say that hardly anything else stirs out the women, liberal and Democrat voters than this topic. They don't change their vote, but IMO so many more will be more apt to vote.
Democrats get "stirred out" by whatever MSNBC, WaPo, etc., tell them to get "stirred out" about (Trump, BLM, Covid, abortion, etc.). Whom do you think you're kidding, implying that abortion is somehow different from all these other breathless clarion calls to the base?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies