Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2022, 08:14 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Are we not calling it an abortion pill anymore? Will the new name allow the anti-abortion crowd to use that pill? Lol.
I thought it was called "the morning after pill"?

Old 05-18-2022, 08:36 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteblonde View Post
Often they died having an illegal abortion. But you think that's fair don't you?
This isn’t the 1930s. There are countless brith control options one can do that doesn’t require abortion.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/art-20045571

Old 05-18-2022, 08:59 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This isn’t the 1930s. There are countless brith control options one can do that doesn’t require abortion.

Roe wasn't law until the mid 1970s. So lets take that as the point in time.
countless birth control options have not been added to the list since then.
They didn't have much birth control in the middle ages but that is not relevant

Old 05-19-2022, 07:54 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

I counted 13 (excluding sterilization, abstinence, breast feeding, and withdrawal), seven of which are hormonal, one the male condom. Seven of which are 90% or above effective, three of those being hormonal. Cost ranging from 0 to $1300. Nearly all have various and multiple side effects ranging from allergenic reactions to vaginal irritation, to cramps, urinary track infection, toxic shock syndrome, weight gain, headache, pulmonary inflammatory disease, nausea, mood swings, to blood clots, stroke and heart attacks.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:03 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteblonde View Post
Often they died having an illegal abortion. But you think that's fair don't you?
They died out of stupidity!

Old 05-19-2022, 09:29 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They died out of stupidity!
Most people do.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:44 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I counted 13 (excluding sterilization, abstinence, breast feeding, and withdrawal), seven of which are hormonal, one the male condom. Seven of which are 90% or above effective, three of those being hormonal. Cost ranging from 0 to $1300. Nearly all have various and multiple side effects ranging from allergenic reactions to vaginal irritation, to cramps, urinary track infection, toxic shock syndrome, weight gain, headache, pulmonary inflammatory disease, nausea, mood swings, to blood clots, stroke and heart attacks.
You raise some important points. When I was 35, my gynecologist recommended that I stop using hormonal BC due to risk factors to my health. That was quite a long time ago, so there may be less dangerous options now, but it was my reality at the time.

Anyway, at that point, I tried talking to my husband about him having a vasectomy. He went absolutely ballistic. He refused to ever have one single rational conversation about it. He told me to just get my tubes tied if I didn't want to be on the pill anymore ("wanting" had nothing to do with it). I was angry and hurt that we couldn't even have a conversation about the very low risks of vasectomy vs the higher risks of tubal ligation (I had a 22 year old patient die from a tubal the day after giving birth to her second child, and that had always haunted me.) And of course he didn't want to use condoms (not that they are effective enough for my peace of mind anyway).

One can see why it greatly irritates me when men drone on and on about "the woman just needs to use BC." "There's no excuse for being irresponsible." "She should just keep her legs closed."

To them, I would ask, what should I have done when my gynecologist told me to stop using hormonal BC? Simply stop having sex with my husband? (To be frank, it did slow way down after that because I felt so completely disrespected, and ultimately we ended up divorced). Or should I have just continued to welcome more pregnancies and babies throughout my late 30s and until I hit menopause?)

Old 05-19-2022, 09:51 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
You raise some important points. When I was 35, my gynecologist recommended that I stop using hormonal BC due to risk factors to my health. That was quite a long time ago, so there may be less dangerous options now, but it was my reality at the time.

Anyway, at that point, I tried talking to my husband about him having a vasectomy. He went absolutely ballistic. He refused to ever have one single rational conversation about it. He told me to just get my tubes tied if I didn't want to be on the pill anymore ("wanting" had nothing to do with it). I was angry and hurt that we couldn't even have a conversation about the very low risks of vasectomy vs the higher risks of tubal ligation (I had a 22 year old patient die from a tubal the day after giving birth to her second child, and that had always haunted me.) And of course he didn't want to use condoms (not that they are effective enough for my peace of mind anyway).

One can see why it greatly irritates me when men drone on and on about "the woman just needs to use BC." "There's no excuse for being irresponsible." "She should just keep her legs closed."

To them, I would ask, what should I have done when my gynecologist told me to stop using hormonal BC? Simply stop having sex with my husband? (To be frank, it did slow way down after that because I felt so completely disrespected, and ultimately we ended up divorced). Or should I have just continued to welcome more pregnancies and babies throughout my late 30s and until I hit menopause?)
It is absolutely inappopriate for him to refuse a vasectomy and tell you to get your tubes tied. Also, BC has side effects and my wife experienced them and I wasnt going to obligate her to take them. My sister in law had a blood clot from BC and it was a very serious health scare. I dont see the point in dicussing this stuff in an abortion conversation. The fact is that the baby is here and if you think that you cant just "end" it then who cares what decisions led up to it?

I guess it makes people feel better to attack other people's bad decisions. I am happy to discuss that but I think this it belongs in this discussion.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:54 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I'm assuming that one of the main reasons women have abortions is for financial reasons. They simply can't afford to have a child or have another child. If abortions were to be banned with the exception of rape and sever medical reasons would we see an increase in child poverty if women no longer have the option for abortions outside of those two reasons? Would this cause a need to expand the welfare state to help support all of these children living with struggling parents?
Does it matter? Would you kill someone if it meant you didn't have to live in poverty?

Old 05-19-2022, 09:59 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Does it matter? Would you kill someone if it meant you didn't have to live in poverty?
Would you please stop assuming that everyone in this country should think like you were taught to do in your religion.

We all do not think there is a "someone" in the pregnant woman's belly in the early weeks of pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies