Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 02:37 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
A much bigger driver for not going all out on drilling s the desire to not lose a huge pile of money again the next time prices drop off a cliff. The last time that happened, ExxonMobil lost $20 billion. That scares shareholders, and scared shareholders creates scared management.

Oh noes. Rich people are scared they will only be slightly more rich? We can't have that now can we.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 02:41 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,679,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
It's unimaginable that a filthy homeless person would be allowed to enter a subway in Japan or China, and pee and poop.
Subway trains in LA are full of them.
Unfortunately in our country we have too many societal problems that aren’t being addressed the right way.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:16 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,852 times
Quote:
My husband assists the oil tanker ships that come into El Segundo, CA (Chevron) and as I mentioned above, Richmond Chevron Refinery was down for maintenance as has others, Right now, they are busy as my husband is out there working. Shipping is busy. Diesel is being made by the way.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:50 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Imagine doing a run to Costco via public transportation.
No thanks.
A case of paper towels on the bus lolz

Old 11-01-2022, 11:21 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Oh noes. Rich people are scared they will only be slightly more rich? We can't have that now can we.
I don't see YOU investing billions of dollars of YOUR money developing oil wells only to have the government tax and regulate you out of business or to have the bottom fall out of the market and for you to lose your shirt.

And btw, plenty of retail investors own XOM shares and they sure as hell also don't like losing money.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:35 AM

43,132 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Sorry to say California did it to themselves with their "special" gas.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:37 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Sorry to say California did it to themselves with their "special" gas.
The so called special gas is one reason that large California cities have days where the air is almost clear. The state doesn't really have a choice but to use gas that pollutes less.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:39 AM

43,132 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
The so called special gas is one reason that large California cities have days where the air is almost clear. The state doesn't really have a choice but to use gas that pollutes less.
I'm not saying it's bad; but it's because they need special gas that the price is so high especially now in an inflationary period along with Biden's EO's against the oil industry.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:00 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No surprise here, this happens all the time, the CA surcharge never came down after some refinery explosion in SoCal a couple of years ago. They'll probably keep prices high forever now because they know none of our politicians will do anything. Case in point, Newsom and his empty promise to "investigate" CA's unusually high prices over 18 months ago.

Oil refiners exploited the crisis': Report shows oil refiners are gouging California drivers

A recent investor profits report shows that California oil refiners are gouging Californians as they earn more than double the number of other refiners.

According to Consumer Watchdog, in the first quarter of 2022, some California refiners earned more than twice as those reported by the same refiners in other regions and as much as five times more than in the first quarter of 2021.

"These profit reports show the Golden State Gouge is real. Oil refiners exploited the crisis in Ukraine to make a mint from California drivers," said Jamie Court, president of Consumer Watchdog.
A couple things.

1) Supply and Demand. When a refinery goes unexpectedly off-line and supply is strained, prices increase. Especially true due to CA's special blend.

2) Gross profits are being used, given CA's penchant for taxation and other fees etc. I'd be leery about comparing gross profits to other states.

3) Capital investment. The specialized equipment, land cost etc. can all lead to higher profit requirements. For example, if your gas station cost $2mil to build and mine only $1mil you need to make twice my profits to produce the same return.

CA prides itself of a lot of environmental stuff and that's not always *free*. They add a lot of cost to things via tax, special rules etc. so I'm leery when politicians (and their allies) try to pass the buck for their programs.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:29 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
A couple things.

1) Supply and Demand. When a refinery goes unexpectedly off-line and supply is strained, prices increase. Especially true due to CA's special blend.

2) Gross profits are being used, given CA's penchant for taxation and other fees etc. I'd be leery about comparing gross profits to other states.

3) Capital investment. The specialized equipment, land cost etc. can all lead to higher profit requirements. For example, if your gas station cost $2mil to build and mine only $1mil you need to make twice my profits to produce the same return.

CA prides itself of a lot of environmental stuff and that's not always *free*. They add a lot of cost to things via tax, special rules etc. so I'm leery when politicians (and their allies) try to pass the buck for their programs.
Not to mention the fact that this super duper special expensive blend of gasoline can only be competitively sold in California because it's the only place someone would actually buy it (because it's too expensive anywhere else).

CAPEX spread over fewer units of production and fewer units sold = Higher fixed cost. Turns out gasoline sold to 40 million people is more expensive per unit than gasoline sold to hundreds of millions of people by nature of fixed costs that cannot be avoided by virtue of producing that product.

This is LITERALLY economics 101. Economies of scale etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies