Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 05:42 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I see big women all the time with kids both young and old with a skinny man right there with them, all over the US when I travel. So someone likes it, and considering the Obesity rates in the US a lot of people like it.

Personally, I see no issue with having women that look good and reflect the actual size of quite a number of women I see through the day.
Where do you see many women that big every day????

Never mind, don't tell me.

Actually, I'm guessing you didn't look at the picture.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:45 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
As already posted, he shouldn't have started stuff without expecting a deserved blowback.

That being said.

Most of the blowback is because it's an old white guy saying that.

She's getting worse said about her by young POC that don't have to filter their opinions like society suggests he should.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:50 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Jordan Peterson was attacked on Twitter after saying that plus-size Sports Illustrated model Yumi Nu was "not beautiful."

"However, after he continued to be bombarded with what he described as a 'vicious flood of insults', Peterson called it quits, announcing that he was 'departing' Twitter, while branding the social media platform 'intrinsically and dangerously insane'."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Swimsuit.html

You can see pictures of the model in the link. I like Peterson, but I'm not sure his comment was necessary. I think there are better models out there than Yumi, but the magazine can do what it wants.
He was right- I saw the cover pics of that women and she is a load and a half.

I think the best term you could use to describe her would be "Rubenesque".

Old 05-17-2022, 07:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - he has a right to his opinion. Some women fawn over men that I don't find the least bit attractive.
Yes, but do have to express it? Especially when it's not flattering.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
The cover is not beautiful though, and I say that as an overweight woman. We are everywhere, I don't need to see more of it in a magazine.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:28 PM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Glorifying obesity is not the way to go. Why should an unhealthy lifestyle be immune from criticism? I support Peterson.
I agree. I don't see really large out of shape guys on the cover of Men's Health. They are all slender with six pack abs.
The woman on the cover of Sports Illustrated looks obese and that's not a healthy image to promote, is it?

Old 05-17-2022, 07:34 PM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The cover is not beautiful though, and I say that as an overweight woman. We are everywhere, I don't need to see more of it in a magazine.
I thought that when i first saw this story in the Post. I'm already a bit chunky. This woman is way past me. And whoever chose that swimsuit for her did her no favors. The model is thrilled because she is representing Asian body diversity. Whatever.

I think Peterson was commenting that 'wokeness' wants to make even unhealthy things acceptable and not something to be criticized. He can have his opinion. I have mine.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
"My goodness, what a fuss you're making!" Dorothy, commenting on the Cowardly Lion claiming to be injured after the lion tried to attack Toto.

If you can't take vicious insults, Dr. Peterson, don't dish them out.

And this is a very public window on "clinical psychologist" Dr. Peterson. Who would go to this man for psychiatric therapy, who feels comfortable posting such personal, public, rude thoughts?

Old 05-17-2022, 07:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Where do you see many women that big every day????

Never mind, don't tell me.

Actually, I'm guessing you didn't look at the picture.
I see MANNEQUINS, meant to sell clothing, bigger than her in Academy and Target. And I see clothing models bigger than her on the Levi's webpage.

And I see paintings, from the 16th century, glorifying this body image, in classic Rubenesque paintings that are still considered valuable art.

SI is trying everything they can to stay relevant, and the swimsuit issue is their flagship issue. Every year, doing stuff like this, and they DO get media play.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-17-2022 at 07:49 PM..

Old 05-17-2022, 07:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
"My goodness, what a fuss you're making!" Dorothy, commenting on the Cowardly Lion claiming to be injured after the lion tried to attack Toto.

If you can't take vicious insults, Dr. Peterson, don't dish them out.

And this is a very public window on "clinical psychologist" Dr. Peterson. Who would go to this man for psychiatric therapy, who feels comfortable posting such personal, public, rude thoughts?
Because it's about having an informed discussion in order to seek the truth. Rather than repeat what bought and paid for scumbags say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies