Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 08:08 PM

9,591 posts, read 5,379,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Frankly I don't really get the whole Peterson thing anyway which probably is because I have no engagement generally with pop culture on IRL dramas of social media. Best I can tell he's a former academic and clinician who quit doing that because he makes more money being controversial on the Tubes. Calling a fat model ugly is controversial. Makes sense if your business is being controversial which is what his business model is about.

IMO people need to get triggered less. Peterson is just exploiting outrage culture for personal gains. Don't feed the trolls.
Your characterization of Dr Peterson is way off base as is your knowledge of how he got to where he is today. Do some homework, wouldja? his 'business model' LOL. really

Old 05-17-2022, 08:22 PM

4,700 posts, read 5,024,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
So "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but not for Peterson he isn't allowed that. Then you say,
"He looks like a despondent ghoul in the photo", so you are allowed to have privileges he isn't?

Do leftists like you, and I know you are, ever even for a milisecond stop to read before you post?
It's not the insult that's the problem, though I agree, that poster seems unaware that Peterson is stating an opinion whereas he is going out of his way to make an insult about Peterson.

The problem is it doesn't register with this guy, or with lots of others, that Peterson is not the one on the cover of the SI swimsuit issue, so any discussion of what he looks like misses the point, which of course is essentially, we are pretending a fat chick is as beautiful as Tyra Banks, and doesn't that say something about our culture? Agree or disagree with that point, but insulting the appearance of the critic making the point is just an unserious maneuver that doesn't advance the discussion.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:33 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 12 days ago)

36,000 posts, read 18,280,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because it's about having an informed discussion in order to seek the truth. Rather than repeat what bought and paid for scumbags say.
I don't know what you're saying.

He called out this one model, by name, and said she's not beautiful.

Sorry, Dr. Peterson, if other people insult you right back.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:42 PM

4,700 posts, read 5,024,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know what you're saying.

He called out this one model, by name, and said she's not beautiful.

Sorry, Dr. Peterson, if other people insult you right back.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.
The woman is on the cover of the SI swimsuit issue. It is not an insult to say "no, not beautiful" or "no, not feeling it." It's an opinion.

When I make this point, I'm thinking like a normal human being though, and I realize that might not translate very well to the clown world that is most of Twitter.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 PM

6,165 posts, read 3,878,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
It's not the insult that's the problem, though I agree, that poster seems unaware that Peterson is stating an opinion whereas he is going out of his way to make an insult about Peterson.

The problem is it doesn't register with this guy, or with lots of others, that Peterson is not the one on the cover of the SI swimsuit issue, so any discussion of what he looks like misses the point, which of course is essentially, we are pretending a fat chick is as beautiful as Tyra Banks, and doesn't that say something about our culture? Agree or disagree with that point, but insulting the appearance of the critic making the point is just an unserious maneuver that doesn't advance the discussion.
Exactly! Peterson was making no claims about his own looks, and (as far as I know) none of his income is dependent upon his looks, so his looks are not relevant to the discussion.

This is similar to the situation about a fan at a professional football game criticizing a highly paid receiver for dropping a ball that hit him right in the gut... and then having the receiver turn around to the fan and say something like "Well, you can't do any better."

It's not about whether the fan could catch the football because the fan isn't getting paid $500,000 PER GAME to play football. The fan is merely a spectator commenting on the player's ineptitude which he has every right to do.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:09 PM

14,062 posts, read 8,219,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Jordan Peterson was attacked on Twitter after saying that plus-size Sports Illustrated model Yumi Nu was "not beautiful."

"However, after he continued to be bombarded with what he described as a 'vicious flood of insults', Peterson called it quits, announcing that he was 'departing' Twitter, while branding the social media platform 'intrinsically and dangerously insane'."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-Swimsuit.html

You can see pictures of the model in the link. I like Peterson, but I'm not sure his comment was necessary. I think there are better models out there than Yumi, but the magazine can do what it wants.

I agree. No need to comment about her appearance on twitter.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:20 PM

32,237 posts, read 15,213,100 times
She would have been considered a goddess centuries ago. Skinny is in now. Models have to basically starve themselves these days in order to be acceptable.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:27 PM

17,492 posts, read 12,430,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
She would have been considered a goddess centuries ago. Skinny is in now. Models have to basically starve themselves these days in order to be acceptable.
She’s gorgeous. The cover swimsuit maybe not so much.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:32 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,461,021 times
Just because one can share every opinion they have, doesn't necessarily mean that one has to. Not everybody wants to hear it, much less will agree with it.

As the saying goes, "On the internet, nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass."

Old 05-17-2022, 09:33 PM

26,262 posts, read 19,172,273 times
Ugly? That's your call. Way (like unhealthy) overweight? Check.

I've seen plenty of plump women I find very attractive. But this is way beyond plump. Is the term morbidly obese still used?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies