Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 10:41 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'll just say this: The value of a 1980 dollar is $3.51
National Gas average was $1.19

Gas, when indexed to today's dollar was $4.17/gal.

Lot of crying, but gas prices are still very cheap. Have you ever walked through a refinery? Billions of dollars to build one, and maintain. It's not cheap.

Gas has historically fluctuated, and most (not all) of what is going on today are external to the USA. Dems are not as friendly to Oil and Gas as Republicans, but Republicans are not as friendly to the economy or the environment as Dems. In the end, the bi-partisan tug and pull works. Lately not very well, but as it applies to gas, it is probably priced appropriately.

....and hard to blame Biden and Obama and overlook the guy in between them. None of them are completely at fault. Each of them have their share of the blame.

I have not come on this forum in well over a month. Misinformed threads like this one are the reason.

Maybe I'll see you all in June. Or July.
Reasonable and sensible post.
Your efforts here are worthy of absorbing as stable economics reasoning.
I for one think it's more in line with your post as to how fluctuate happens .
Not political though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 10:48 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
3.94 here in NW Harris county Costco.

The oil business has always been feast or famine.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:16 AM

10,108 posts, read 7,775,270 times
It's so weird to see gas stations with over 4.00 a gallon now. Ouch, it hurts. In my area, the price of gas is about 4.30....no more joy riding on a Sunday afternoon. Thanks Brandon. You're the best.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:18 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
compared to 2008 when gas hit 4 bucks a gallon, i'm seeing virtually nothing about people wanting to get out of their gas guzzlers in favor of something more economical. possibly because used car prices are up 40% and new cars are sky-high as well, and not exactly abundant.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:47 AM

37,226 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
your understanding of the world is stuck in the 1970's. The Democrat's are every bit it not more in the pocket of big Business. Do you really think all those Business tycoons and Billionaires who back the Democratic Party do it out of their good will.

Trump is an Ass but he was the one who pushed U.S. energy independence, he was the one who pushed America first, he was the one who pushed enforce the borders and he was the one who pushed for getting American manufacturing back in America. Everyone of these policies was good for the avg American and yet hurt the rich. Lower Fuel prices(as you yourself mentioned)meant less profit for big oil, controlled borders mean less cheap labor which means Supply/demand dictates wages must rise. This is all basic economics. Did he succeed in everything, heck no, but he never stopped working towards those goals despite the endless opposition from not only the Dems but a lot of Repubs whose only concern is pleasing big business money.

So its not about Repubs being pro business and Dems being the party of the people. The Dems have not cared about the people for decades unless it's election time.
Trump was not nearly strong enough and decidedly nowhere near smart enough to undo the damage the republicans have done since Reagan started the ball rolling. Everything with Trump was all mouth to say what his base wanted to hear and no ass to deliver any of it, even with both houses of Congress on his side.

It's easy to spout, and much more difficult to actually have legislation drafted to accomplish things. Trump was a massive failure.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You have no clue... or you are a paid bot.

The only times when prices went this high are when Obama and Biden and the Democrats were in charge.

This environment is not sustainable for oil companies.
Hopefully oil companies won't be necessary on their current scale but a few more years.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:50 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
I got lucky and was able to fill the tank at $3.75 last week ......

Old 05-19-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Exactly right. Like they did in 2020/2021, now they're making up for those losses. Which is why they're in no hurry to increase output, yes? As long as demand stays strong, higher prices are good for oil companies - they're out to maximize profit just like any other business.
Which is exactly why more drilling in more places will have no impact on prices at the pump. They are not going to pump more oil and refine it so they can sell it to you cheaper. That isn't how business works.

They are taking advantage of the runup to Memorial Day weekend, like they have done for the last 55 years I can remember.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
It was leftist ideology (Barney Frank, remember him?) that told us everybody deserved a home and forced lenders to give out loans to people that couldn't pay it back, which collapsed the RE market when ARMs reset.
So explain to us why W didn't have stronger oversight of the financial industry in place when the housing boom started in 2005. I was a real estate auctioneer at that time and I sure as hell didn't understand why the banking system had lost its mind. I still don't.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 692 times
Guess all the "tRump 2020" flags will need to come off my truck now, to save my fuel economy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies