Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.72%
No 256 50.59%
Unsure 49 9.68%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 02:43 PM

51,739 posts, read 26,051,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post
I seriously doubt he actually read the article. He's here to promote Mother Russia. Place him on ignore and your blood pressure will go down.
Not to worry. My blood pressure is fine.

Makes no difference what the Putin sympathizers post on this thread. It certainly won't change the course of the war any.

I see where Ron DeSantis is doing his best to undermine U.S. support for Ukraine. That could make a difference. But nothing on this thread is going to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 03:03 PM

8,216 posts, read 3,767,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So you think Russia will launch a whole bunch of nuclear weapons at once?

So, therefore, Ukraine and everyone else should give in to Putin?
I don't know if it's a "whole bunch" but nobody will sit around and watch their nuclear arsenal destroyed. That much is clear.

P.S. And most simulations predict that any "limited" nuclear war ends in a full-blown one.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:10 PM

51,739 posts, read 26,051,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I don't know if it's a "whole bunch" but nobody will sit around and watch their nuclear arsenal destroyed. That much is clear.

P.S. And most simulations predict that any "limited" nuclear war ends in a full-blown one.
If you think Putin can pull off launching a whole bunch of nuclear weapons, then so be it. But the rest of the world is not going to sit around quaking in their boots because of your and your hero's fantasies of world domination.

The process of getting Ukraine up to speed with the weapons, ammunition, and training is slower than most would like, but there is no reason to believe that NATO wouldn't smack down any attempts to use a nuclear weapon, tactical or not.

Even China has made it clear that's a non-starter.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:27 PM

8,216 posts, read 3,767,703 times
Quote:
If you think Putin can pull off launching a whole bunch of nuclear weapons, then so be it. But the rest of the world is not going to sit around quaking in their boots because of your and your hero's fantasies of world domination.

The process of getting Ukraine up to speed with the weapons, ammunition, and training is slower than most would like, but there is no reason to believe that NATO wouldn't smack down any attempts to use a nuclear weapon, tactical or not.

"My fantasies of world domination"? You've got the wrong person.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:03 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,765,614 times
Denys update..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLYVqPJ8YQ0

Old 03-14-2023, 06:12 PM

26,909 posts, read 22,791,425 times
Quote:
According to the video, they had a chance to vote to become part of Russia some years ago, and overwhelming voted against it.

This was after decades of Russia deporting citizens of Crimea, and replacing them with Russians.

In any case, I doubt that what these newly minted Crimeans want will make much difference.

If they want to be Russians, they can move back to Russia.

Read recently that Russia is offering to resettle any Europeans or Americans who want to move to Russia. Even offering them 10 hectares to start their new life. Goal is to attract one million new citizens.

Wonder how that program is working out.

There was no "decades of Russia deporting citizens of Crimea."
There was Stalin who deported Crimean Tatars after they sided with Germans during the WWII.

That's all to it.
Because the rest of the population were Russians ( traditionally so, because of the Imperial times, when Crimean's culture was concentrated around the Russian Navy/Russian Black Sea fleet.

Ukrainians were there too, serving the very same fleet - no one thought much about it either in Imperial times or through Soviet times.

You want to make up stories apparently, so that they'd better back up your point of view, but it doesn't work this way.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:26 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,765,614 times
front line update..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0cXB2JCLU4

Old 03-14-2023, 06:46 PM

13,857 posts, read 4,476,668 times
Quote:

World domination? For taking over Eastern Ukraine which the vast majority of the citizens speak Russian as the native language? Yeah, thanks for the laugh. Russia doesn't have a 30 country nuclear military alliance expanding West for the past 30 years. Russia didn't invade 2 countries at the same time against the will of the people for 20 years. Russia doesn't have their military in 80 countries around the world getting closer to the U.S. defenses. Russia isn't in other countries with regime changes and paying off mercenaries to knock out the governments. The rest of the world are not all stupid like in the U.S.

Russia has more nukes than the U.S. and NATO combine and Europe depends a lot from Russia's oil. How will NATO "smack down" Russia? NATO exist because of the U.S., without the U.S., NATO would be a paper tiger. NATO has a lot to lose. Let's see if they are willing to pay the price for years to come to continue aiding Ukraine to keep fighting a war they can't win and were pushed by the West.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:47 PM

26,909 posts, read 22,791,425 times
Quote:
Fascinating overview of the situation with Crimea.

If Russia maintains control, then they can use it again as a staging ground for their next attack on Ukraine.

If Ukraine regains control, Russia loses the Sevastopol port for its Black Sea fleet.

An independent Crimea with UN peacekeepers is a halfway measure that might work, but hard to imagine either side being content with that. Russia might if they get to keep Sevastopol.

Ukrainian military will have a difficult time recapturing Crimea, as Crimea is well defended and the area for invasion is limited. Also, they don't have the long range missiles, aircraft, or naval capabilities that would be needed.

Destroying the bridge and cutting off access from the north might work, eventually.

Over the years, Russia has deported hundreds of thousand from Crimea and replaced them with Russians. So that will be a problem. Hard to imagine Ukraine deporting a million "ethnic Russians" from Crimea. But also hard to imagine how they can maintain control if the majority of people oppose being part of Ukraine.

If and when Ukraine regains control of Crimea, perhaps they will resettle a million Ukrainians whose homes have been destroyed in Russia's invasion. Crimeans who maintain strong ties to Russia might self-select to move back to Russia.

I finally watched this video (and learned few details, new for me.)
I am glad I did.

Because this is what I see now;
These explanations make it pretty clear why Putin COULDN'T skip taking over Crimea, even if he wouldn't want to. Because without doing so, his whole operation in Syria would have been jeopardized ( he needed that access to the Mediterranean Sea.)
But while taking over Crimea and offering his protection to the Russian population there ( that was in peril from Ukrainian Nationalists indeed,) he betrayed Donbass, that had the same Russian population THERE.

The game he was hoping to play was basically that he could cut Crimea off from Ukraine, while offering to keep Donbass ( and other South-Eastern provinces) IN Ukraine, as much as they wanted to get OUT of Ukraine.

But this smart***s move didn't work out well for him, as much as he was trying to wiggle around, building that Kerch bridge including.
Of course Ukrainians ( seeing that he chickened out in Donbass,) were getting brazen, cutting the water supply from Crimea and targeting the electric grid there and leaving Crimea without energy supply couple of times.

And now lately they finally hit that bridge too - his pride and joy.

So while I was watching this video, I arrived to my personal conclusion, that the ONLY way Russians can solve the "Crimean question" once and for all, is to abolish the existence of Ukrainian state as it is, because if not - it's going to be only a matter of time, till Ukraine will recuperate and so on.

And of course no Russian in the right mind would ever agree to some "UN peacekeepers," because they already saw how the OSCE was fraternizing with Ukrainian soldiers and passing them the important info, all while they were supposed to be "neutral observers."

But that's me, Putin of course ( as usual) can have different plans, because the status quo, the "legal" side of things is extremely important to him, to look "legit" in his own eyes first of all.

He has this funny habit of excusing himself from some obligations and pointedly sticking to other.

In the end of course it won't matter what I or he thinks/plans.
At the end it will be the decision of the people in the Russian army, and how THEY see it fit.

This would be my guess at this point.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:08 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,772,204 times
Quote:
According to the video, they had a chance to vote to become part of Russia some years ago, and overwhelming voted against it.

This was after decades of Russia deporting citizens of Crimea, and replacing them with Russians.

Crimea was made part of the Ukraine in 1954. It once had a predominantly Tatar population but there was always more Russian then Ukrainians. I actually have relatives through marriage who were from the Black Sea region of Ukraine that are ethnic Greeks. They left in the early 90s. That community has been there before the Slavs were there.

Quote:
Tactical nukes would not be needed to destroy Russia's nuclear arsenal.

Nuclear-armed submarines would be more difficult, of course, but the location of land-based nuclear weapons have been known for years. And for years, NATO forces have mapped out war games to take them out. There are fighter pilots sitting alert 24/7 in Europe for just such a scenario.

If Putin launched a nuclear weapon, he would be crossing a red line, and Russia would be destroyed.

What are you talking about? Not a chance. If either the US or Russia launched all their ICMBs it would be game over for everyone. Those land based missle silos could be launched in seconds and hit the US mainland in under 30 minutes. There is nothing in our arsenal that could stop the majority of them from hitting targets. Unless there's some top secret star wars system in place floating around in space that no one knows about which can zap them in orbit, every major city targeted would be vaporized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies