Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.50%
No 245 50.94%
Unsure 46 9.56%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 11:24 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Ukraine has 40 million people. That's plenty of manpower. Afghanistan and Vietnam had far fewer people than the USSR and the US, but continued to fight despite overwhelmingly higher losses. The USSR and the US got tired of it and that was without the sanctions that Russia faces.

Russia is facing severe manpower shortages already. They are offering big bonuses to get people to sign up. British intelligence is estimating they have had 70-80,000 casualties already.
This article may have been earlier on this thread. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...wer/ar-AAXD91U

"In Tula, a city located south of Moscow, soldiers who opt for three-month military contracts are now being offered over 170,000 rubles ($2,900) per month. That accounts for roughly four times the average local salary, according to a Monday report by the Moscow Times. Similarly, a military official in the North Caucasus republic of Chechnya recently was offered a first-month salary of 300,000 rubles ($5,200) during a recruitment attempt, according to the news outlet.

Under normal circumstances, contract soldiers are usually signed on for three years of service and are paid an average of about 64,900 rubes, or just $1,100 per month, according to the Washington Post. The latest pay increases come at a time when the Russian military is struggling to recruit troops and maintain morale amid heavy losses in Ukraine.

At the beginning of its invasion, Russia was met with fierce opposition from Ukrainian forces and failed to capture the capital city of Kyiv. The military has since refocused its efforts toward the southern and eastern regions of Ukraine but has nonetheless faced significant losses and military deaths. Ukrainian officials have estimated that over 20,000 Russian troops have died, while at least a dozen of the nation's top military generals have also been slain in the fighting, Newsweek previously reported...."

Yep! Pretty Much. That's what I don't think many people understand in this war. The Ukrainians are going to fight this with or without western help. They are literally fighting for their right to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 11:43 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Ukraine has 40 million people. That's plenty of manpower. Afghanistan and Vietnam had far fewer people than the USSR and the US, but continued to fight despite overwhelmingly higher losses. The USSR and the US got tired of it and that was without the sanctions that Russia faces.

Russia is facing severe manpower shortages already. They are offering big bonuses to get people to sign up. British intelligence is estimating they have had 70-80,000 casualties already.
This article may have been earlier on this thread. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...wer/ar-AAXD91U

"In Tula, a city located south of Moscow, soldiers who opt for three-month military contracts are now being offered over 170,000 rubles ($2,900) per month. That accounts for roughly four times the average local salary, according to a Monday report by the Moscow Times. Similarly, a military official in the North Caucasus republic of Chechnya recently was offered a first-month salary of 300,000 rubles ($5,200) during a recruitment attempt, according to the news outlet.

Under normal circumstances, contract soldiers are usually signed on for three years of service and are paid an average of about 64,900 rubes, or just $1,100 per month, according to the Washington Post. The latest pay increases come at a time when the Russian military is struggling to recruit troops and maintain morale amid heavy losses in Ukraine.

At the beginning of its invasion, Russia was met with fierce opposition from Ukrainian forces and failed to capture the capital city of Kyiv. The military has since refocused its efforts toward the southern and eastern regions of Ukraine but has nonetheless faced significant losses and military deaths. Ukrainian officials have estimated that over 20,000 Russian troops have died, while at least a dozen of the nation's top military generals have also been slain in the fighting, Newsweek previously reported...."
As I read elsewhere, Russia throws every recruit into frontline infantry regardless of what was promised at recruitment, IE, you'll be protecting the rear. So they can promise any pie in the sky salary because the chances of having to pay it for long are not high.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:18 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post

Russia will win this war.
This three day war?
[chuckles]

Old 08-23-2022, 02:19 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I hope so. I don't care what some ppl say, Russia is the aggressor and is the cause of so much unnecessary pain and death.

I do agree that without the US helping with tons of weaponry, training and intel, Ukraine is out of luck.

But my question is... does Ukraine have enough manpower to last in this war if Putin is too stubborn to back down?

I know moral is down in a lot of the Russian troops, but they must have a lot more manpower to outlast Ukraine in a drawn out war. After injuries and just plain worn out troops, how long can Ukraine last?

TBF, I'm surprised that Putin even "allows" any nation to ship weapons to the Ukraine. How's that not interfering or not considered being in the war itself? You are enabling their enemies for "free".

I do understand the political interest of the US to ship weaponry so that they (Ukraine) can fight the war without us in the west needing to send our own troops. Our sure our interests lies in keeping Russia in it's place.
You should have written, "I don't care what the facts are." This is reflective of you and of the majority of C-D posters who have opined on this conflict since the final days of February.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:26 PM

4,866 posts, read 2,674,972 times
Deny's update today 8/23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9AQN2oS6-U

Old 08-23-2022, 04:11 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
This three day war?
[chuckles]
Is "Special Military Operation", not war. If you know what's good for you.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:23 PM

908 posts, read 442,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not at all, and I'm clearly not expressing myself clearly, then. That was a long-standing beef between two relatively minor powers and untangling that would make for a multi-page thread in the History forum.

I'm just countering the idea that WWI wasn't fought over territory, because that was clearly one of the motivations.

Certainly not going to assign moral superiority to anyone in that conflict. Except possibly Belgium, who sort of got it in the shorts, but when do they not?

Yes my mistake then ...

As an aside a rather underrated aspect of the dispute between Austria-Hungary and Serbia was that of lobbying efforts of agricultural concerns involved with the pork industry , a subject that unfortunately isn't at all done justice by this Wikipedia article as usual :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_Wa...6%E2%80%931908)

I'm not sure if any English language sources that extensively cover this topic even exist , but there are actually some Hungarian historians who have recently written books covering how the lobbying efforts of the pork industry in both Austria-Hungary and Serbia greatly contributed to this trade war , which obviously factored into the eruption of the later bona fide war between the two states .

Old 08-23-2022, 06:25 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,756,246 times
Car bombing and killing top level Russians by groups inside Russia. It's coming - I'm sure Putin knows it but I would start preparing if I was him.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:45 PM

908 posts, read 442,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Great post and repped, but remember, this is C-D. This is a website where posters tend not to know history rather than to know it. You are a notable exception, but keep in mind that posts like these fit the type which will be mocked and which will earn you vacuous epithets like "Russian propagandist" and "Putin apologist."

It's always hysterically funny, yet it simply comes at no surprise, that someone of the right like me is often reminded of a statement by Chou En-Lai.

"The most delightful thing about Americans is that they have absolutely no historical memory."

That one of the biggest names of 20th Century communism said something so true yet goes over the head of people who call those who know the facts about this conflict "comrade" is an irony so great it is amusing these posters consistently miss it.

Unfortunately the teaching of history in the American educational system/its portrayal in the media and entertainment industry has long taken on the character of a black and white morality play , which naturally greatly influences the perception of far too many Americans with respect to ongoing current events to a regrettably large degree .

Many view this conflict as they would an individual case of self defense , solely focusing on which side struck first , when using that sort of criteria to analyze wars leads to a significant swathe of history as such being described in terms of a ludicrous " This side was the good guy and that side was the bad guy " framework , that is anything but accurate/sensible/useful for any sort of proper analysis .

All in all one of the main reasons as to why the USA should refrain from intervening in the affairs of foreign countries , is because of the great lack of historical knowledge/memory that afflicts so many Americans , but on that note I must close .

Old 08-23-2022, 06:54 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
Unfortunately the teaching of history in the American educational system/its portrayal in the media and entertainment industry has long taken on the character of a black and white morality play , which naturally greatly influences the perception of far too many Americans with respect to ongoing current events to a regrettably large degree .

Many view this conflict as they would an individual case of self defense , solely focusing on which side struck first , when using that sort of criteria to analyze wars leads to a significant swathe of history as such being described in terms of a ludicrous " This side was the good guy and that side was the bad guy " framework , that is anything but accurate/sensible/useful for any sort of proper analysis .

All in all one of the main reasons as to why the USA should refrain from intervening in the affairs of foreign countries , is because of the great lack of historical knowledge/memory that afflicts so many Americans , but on that note I must close .
While there is truth in the last paragraph, there IS an evil in this war. What Russia is doing to Ukraine and its citizens hasn't been done by advanced nations since WWII. If this was a war of equals, Russia would face a Nuremberg after the war. Unfortunately, only those Russians who get killed in the fighting will get punished for their war crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies