Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.34%
No 247 51.14%
Unsure 46 9.52%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 01:50 PM

24,673 posts, read 9,493,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
and Vlad the Cad bestows full Russian citizenship upon the lovely Edward Snowden..that outta really help them..lol..
Well the left defends Snowden so they should be pretty happy that he’s in a safe place now as a new Russian citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 01:56 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,472,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
... Putin met with Xi months before the invasion. Putin told Xi about the impending invasion and the two celebrated their unlimited friendship. ...
I don't think Putin was honest with Xi about this.

They may have had a discussion about the possibility, but it looks like China was caught by surprise.

Certainly Xi would help Putin regardless.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:57 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
When does Russia plan to wrap up these fake referendums and consider those provinces/states their own?
I don't know, but I know what the results of the referendums will be. 110% for, -10% against.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:00 PM

2,953 posts, read 995,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
and Vlad the Cad bestows full Russian citizenship upon the lovely Edward Snowden..that outta really help them..lol..
HAHA! non-sequitur alert so as not to waste Henry Kissinger's intellectual bandwidth.

I have an Edward Snowden coffee mug that I bought in Shanghai. This little shop had mugs with pictures of Lin Biao, Mao, Che and Edward Snowden on them. Having already bought s**tloads of goofy Mao Christmas ornaments, chopsticks, wallets and other kitschy crap I had no use for more of those hack standard heroes of communism so I went for the weirdness of Edward Snowden. I once brought that mug to a work meeting and got some looks. I collect the odd when I travel and this was one of the odder things I've seen. No love here for ES. It's just ... *unique* to have his face on a coffee mug.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:01 PM

25,596 posts, read 17,329,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It's most likely China. ..............
China's involvement won't be known for years if at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Whatever China may or may not be doing, it's not working.
Quote:
LOL, yeah, if China did help, they definitely didn't give them any good technology or weapons that were worth it!
China?....... Why would China, or any other nation, get involved in a war where Russia is losing?
No one on earth has ever seen modern Chinese weapons in combat, although we are assured (by China) that they are just the latest, greatest, fastest, most numerous, never-defeated weapons that will ever exist.

Well?.... Let's see 'em

Old 09-26-2022, 02:03 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Certainly Xi would help Putin regardless.
Not sure I 100% agree with that. For Russia to be taken down a few pegs is in China's interest.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:18 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times
Quote:
Yeah, that’s prolly true. But What’s his strategy currently? Trying to call up these reservists won’t change anything, not to mention it will take a while. Where’s the rest of this Russian military we’ve heard about for 20 years. The amount of money and weapons pouring into Ukraine will eventually make Putin lose. He’ll go crazy during this time!
I'm not sure how you can seriously say that Russia throwing another 300,000 troops into the mix won't change anything. That is a major escalation. If the Ukraine can't do something to counter that escalation, it's not going to be good. The Ukraine has already been having great difficulty on the Southern Front. This is going to make it even worse. If the Ukraine doesn't get a lot more help, they are going to be in serious trouble. They are already struggling.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:25 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm not sure how you can seriously say that Russia throwing another 300,000 troops into the mix won't change anything. That is a major escalation. If the Ukraine can't do something to counter that escalation, it's not going to be good. The Ukraine has already been having great difficulty on the Southern Front. This is going to make it even worse. If the Ukraine doesn't get a lot more help, they are going to be in serious trouble. They are already struggling.
Nope...here is a good read. It will have very minimal impact if at all. Putin's Russia is not a mobilization country juxtaposed to Stalin's Russia

Special Edition on Russian Mobilization

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...t-september-25

Quote:
Russia will mobilize reservists for this conflict. The process will be ugly, the quality of the reservists poor, and their motivation to fight likely even worse. But the systems are sufficiently in place to allow military commissars and other Russian officials to find people and send them to training units and thence to war. But the low quality of the voluntary reserve units produced by the BARS and volunteer battalion efforts is likely a reliable indicator of the net increase in combat power Russia can expect to generate in this way. This mobilization will not affect the course of the conflict in 2022 and may not have a very dramatic impact on Russia’s ability to sustain its current level of effort into 2023. The problems undermining Putin’s effort to mobilize his people to fight, finally, are so deep and fundamental that he cannot likely fix them in the coming months—and possibly for years. Putin is likely coming up against the hard limits of Russia’s ability to fight a large-scale war.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:32 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,677,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm sure it will change the calculus of what specific military aid the US is providing. I think we are generalizing based on what has happened so far in this war, IE Ukrainians being better fighters with better tactics, the US providing timely military aid and the Russian army failing hard. We are assuming each will continue to play their role consistently. Now if 300,000 Belarussians suddenly invaded from the north, that would be something very different.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:39 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm sure it will change the calculus of what specific military aid the US is providing. I think we are generalizing based on what has happened so far in this war, IE Ukrainians being better fighters with better tactics, the US providing timely military aid and the Russian army failing hard. We are assuming each will continue to play their role consistently. Now if 300,000 Belarussians suddenly invaded from the north, that would be something very different.
The only thing Putin can hope to accomplish with this mobilization is to stabilize their lines in Ukraine and pro-long the war and try to run out the clock with Allied support. But as ISW pointed out in their assessment

Quote:
Putin is likely coming up against the hard limits of Russia’s ability to fight a large-scale war.
The west won't back down if they see Russia is simply losing...and they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies