Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 196 39.44%
No 252 50.70%
Unsure 49 9.86%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 10:58 AM
bu2

24,152 posts, read 15,003,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
They're only mobilizing ex-military. America did something similar in Iraq, where people who had already left the military could be called back up to serve. We also mobilized the reserves.

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/ira...pter-title-0-5

https://www.military.com/join-milita...-any-time.html
That is what Putin claimed. But there have been many reports that the local draft boards are ignoring that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 11:24 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,520,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattya View Post
It’s so funny how they were hyped up as this super tough army that the US should emulate. Only for them to turn out to be a complete joke and resorting to war crimes.
That's because they were stealing the Ukrainian's valor, so to speak. All those images the West had about the Russians being these tough, un-defeatable, unstoppable stocky badazzes was actually attributable to the Ukrainians. I blame Rocky IV. Dolph Lundgren is actually Swedish.

The folks behind the Iron Curtain knew the difference between Ukrainians and Russians - now the West is learning too.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:33 AM

7,195 posts, read 6,876,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That meme portrait of Putin as a rainbow clown is making more and more sense these days. Matches his clown armed forces. The Russian army can give the world famous Moscow Circus a run for their money.

They have become an international laughingstock. And well-earned reputation at that.
It's even more hilarious considering that there's a recent Ukrainian drone video of a Russian soldier giving a BJ to his fellow comrade when the drone suddenly drops a bomb on 'em.

https://nitter.it/worldonalert/statu...69054866132994

Last edited by LM117; 10-05-2022 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-05-2022, 12:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,935,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Someone pointed out that in Russia, government and organized crime are one and the same. That's where the oligarchs came from; they are the equivalent of crime bosses here in the the US.
And Ukraine seemed to be making a toddler’s step away from the Russian system, which Moscow just couldn’t stand. Easier to keep paid off oligarch in line and expect the oligarchs to control it all than millions of free people.

First it was the professionalization of the military. And now it’s the application to join the EU.

The thing with EU membership is that that are a ton of rules and agreements that go along with acceptance into the union that cover all kinds of things from how your currency system works (if it’s outside the Euro), how courts operate, how much corruption is generally tolerated…..

Given where they’re starting from, Ukraine would have to reshape a lot in both government and civil society to meet criteria.

But they want to try in the name of making their country better. And that’s the kind of effort the rest of the world should be eoncuraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That's because they were stealing the Ukrainian's valor, so to speak. All those images the West had about the Russians being these tough, un-defeatable, unstoppable stocky badazzes was actually attributable to the Ukrainians. I blame Rocky IV. Dolph Lundgren is actually Swedish.

The folks behind the Iron Curtain knew the difference between Ukrainians and Russians - now the West is learning too.
Have a look at the CV for the Mayor of Kyiv. No one in Russia proper could take him down back in the day and I’m sure he still remembers how to fight well.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:26 PM

3,113 posts, read 945,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The winter war is going to get ugly.

Still a little in shock at just how completely ineffective the Russian airforce has been.
Ukraine air defenses are very good and the cost of getting a brand new fighter plane shot down is too high (and replacing parts maybe difficult with sanctions). So Russia's airforce has largely been MIA, and usually only supporting land controlled by Russian troops.

The air littoral above Ukraine is essentially a minefield right now - a lot of high tech systems and low tech things (like drones) increase the odds of you losing whatever you send there, so Russia is playing its hand very conservatively here.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:33 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,626,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Hitler had no nukes, Poopin has 6,000+ reportedly. So you're willing to risk nuclear annihilation of the world for a small piece of land of little value....what is wrong with people?
There isn't going to be nuclear annihilation anywhere, Putin makes these threats to intimidate because his army is losing and amazingly it actually works where some folks just want to throw up their hands in surrender and say give him what he wants.

Where do you draw the line? If he takes a piece of Romania and declares it Russia will you just tremble in your boots more and say let him have it we don't want him to feel cornered. Thank goodness both majority of our leaders on both sides of the political aisle are willing to stand up to this madman instead of folding like picnic chairs in a stiff breeze at the first sign of Putin's threats.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:46 PM

102,323 posts, read 108,515,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Hitler had no nukes, Poopin has 6,000+ reportedly. So you're willing to risk nuclear annihilation of the world for a small piece of land of little value....what is wrong with people?
Russia wouldn't be fighting for it, if it were of little value. Eastern Ukraine and Crimea have the vast majority of. Ukraines gas reserves, and some oil reserves, as well as minerals. And it's worth it to Russia as a buffer zone. Although Zel already offered that, early in the negotiations. But I guess Russia didn't trust Ukrainians to run the buffer zone.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:18 PM

1,179 posts, read 656,030 times
The threat of nuclear weapons never made sense to me. Why would you nuke an area that you want to annex / take over and make it uninhabitable for decades / centuries?

Is there such a thing as nuking a small contained area without it spreading?

I see it more as a desperate threat to scare the Ukrainians into surrendering or "coming to the table".

Also it's to show the West that he is mister "don't mess with me I don't bluff" barechested man.

I do love hearing that the Russians are losing more and more daily, not just in the stupid "special military" operation, but also to the common Russian population who are leaving in droves from the insanity that Putin has created.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:42 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,315,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Russia wouldn't be fighting for it, if it were of little value. Eastern Ukraine and Crimea have the vast majority of. Ukraines gas reserves, and some oil reserves, as well as minerals. And it's worth it to Russia as a buffer zone. Although Zel already offered that, early in the negotiations. But I guess Russia didn't trust Ukrainians to run the buffer zone.
That buffer zone backfired. Wherever the lines get drawn, Ukraine is going to build them up like the DMZ. Russia is going to have a far more powerful force lined up on it's border than it ever had before.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:44 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,315,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The threat of nuclear weapons never made sense to me. Why would you nuke an area that you want to annex / take over and make it uninhabitable for decades / centuries?

Is there such a thing as nuking a small contained area without it spreading?

I see it more as a desperate threat to scare the Ukrainians into surrendering or "coming to the table".

Also it's to show the West that he is mister "don't mess with me I don't bluff" barechested man.

I do love hearing that the Russians are losing more and more daily, not just in the stupid "special military" operation, but also to the common Russian population who are leaving in droves from the insanity that Putin has created.
What if he nuked Lviv, a small city in western Ukraine to create a radioactive buffer zone? That would preserve most of Ukraine's assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies