Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 192 39.26%
No 250 51.12%
Unsure 47 9.61%
Voters: 489. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 06:27 PM

8,948 posts, read 11,812,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
the Su-57 being used in this role is also saying something. Its vastly more expensive to fly then the other aircraft that canm do this. It makes zero sense to use this unless youre having issues with other craft being capable given the flight cost. But you're right, theres what? 10 of them? and only some of them are combat capable.

But you are wrong about the reason the US doesnt send our best. We are worried about the technology being captured. We dont even sell some things like the F-22.
Yes, technology loss is a big consideration. I should have made it more clear. I wasn't talking about the F-22, or F-35, or B-2. They won't send Ukraine the F-15, the F-18, the M1 tanks, or the Apache helicopter because these are still sold worldwide. Losses in Ukraine wouldn't look good.

I can see the USA giving Ukraine the F-16 because it is an old design that the US no longer buys and sales abroad have peaked a while ago.

Last edited by davidt1; 01-09-2023 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 06:46 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,417,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Yes, technology loss is a big consideration. I should have made it more clear. It wasn't talking about the F-22, or F-35, or B-2. They won't send Ukraine the F-15, the F-18, the M1 tanks, or the Apache helicopter because these are still sold worldwide. Losses in Ukraine wouldn't look good.

I can see the USA giving Ukraine the F-16 because it is an old design that the US no longer buys and sales abroad have peaked a while ago.
The Abrahms has faced a lot of combat quite well. So its gonna keep selling, and would do well in this combat environment. But the high level of maintenance might stop it.

Im not sure why you say we wouldn't give them the F-15 as well, as they're literally being trained how to fly them. And the F-16 is undergoing a refit that makes it much more competitive, I think were looking to sell those, and might be hoping this war demonstrates them. So calling it a old design...is sort of right and wrong.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:24 PM

8,169 posts, read 3,715,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Yes, technology loss is a big consideration. I should have made it more clear. I wasn't talking about the F-22, or F-35, or B-2. They won't send Ukraine the F-15, the F-18, the M1 tanks, or the Apache helicopter because these are still sold worldwide. Losses in Ukraine wouldn't look good.

What technology loss? According to Pravda (lol) there are no military losses whatsoever so far, so no problem.

Couldn't resist.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:32 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,740,888 times
ISW Update 1/9/23

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...january-9-2023

Quote:
Jan 9, 2023 - Press ISW

Wagner Group financier Yevgeny Prigozhin continues to use reports of Wagner Group success in Soledar to bolster the Wagner Group’s reputation as an effective fighting force. Wagner Group forces claimed to capture territory within Soledar over the past few days, and many Russian sources have discussed the gains as indicators that Wagner Group forces may soon encircle Bakhmut. Combat footage widely circulated on social media on January 9 shows Wagner Group fighters engaging in fierce small arms combat near the city administration building in central Soledar. Several Russian milbloggers remarked on January 8 and 9 that Wagner Group forces are responsible for block-by-block advances in Soledar and other critical settlements northeast of Bakhmut, as well as within Bakhmut. Prigozhin emphasized on January 9 that “exclusively†Wagner Group units are taking ground in Soledar, and noted that Wagner fighters are currently engaged in “fierce battles for the city administration building.†Prigozhin will continue to use both confirmed and fabricated Wagner Group success in Soledar and Bakhmut to promote the Wagner Group as the only Russian force in Ukraine capable of securing tangible gains, as ISW has previously reported.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:49 PM

471 posts, read 827,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Yep that was sarcasm. The clowns on this thread are past believing anything they aren't force fed by the media. To think it was a good idea to poke the Bear and start a fight in his own backyard. If you were suicidal you couldn't have planned your own demise better.
The wokes are too childish to understand that every country has interests.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
The wokes are too childish to understand that every country has interests.
you mean like not letting a major country just start invading its neighbors after they agreed to give up nukes? Thats insanely important just off the top of my head.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:07 PM

I love that we are managing to remove Russia from the world stage at such a tiny part of our military budget. It would be cheap at 5 trillion to be honest.

Removing Russia as a threat will long term save us a ton of money, we can focus on actual threats instead of what Russia has become. I find it mind boggling that anyone thinks 100 billion is expensive for what we get. LOL.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:23 PM

1,772 posts, read 720,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I love that we are managing to remove Russia from the world stage at such a tiny part of our military budget. It would be cheap at 5 trillion to be honest.

Removing Russia as a threat will long term save us a ton of money, we can focus on actual threats instead of what Russia has become. I find it mind boggling that anyone thinks 100 billion is expensive for what we get. LOL.
Yep the hundreds of thousands of Ukranian lives are practically free.
LOL.

Old 01-10-2023, 04:12 AM

51,672 posts, read 25,908,932 times
Does the "they-do-it-too" argument ever work? Ever?

Claiming that Russia is righteous in invading Ukraine because other nations invade too is a weak argument at best, and for what purpose? It is still invading and invading is frowned upon these days. That's why Russia used the fig leaf of "Separatists" for several of their "annexations."

It might have been a stronger argument a century or so ago, but not now. Geez.

But water under the bridge. Putin has a tiger by the tail now. Ukrainian forces have been holding the line, and are in the midst of getting a boatload of modern weapons.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-10-2023 at 04:26 AM..

Old 01-10-2023, 04:25 AM

51,672 posts, read 25,908,932 times
The irony of this whole horrible endeavor is that his effort to reclaim the Russian empire, Putin will leave it in shambles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies