Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.34%
No 247 51.14%
Unsure 46 9.52%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 10:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 995,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
No worries, one armchair general here told us that ALL of the nukes are not functional. Lol.

P.S. Btw, speaking of non-functional, I thought that the severely overpriced stuff never breaks down

https://www.yahoo.com/news/artillery...150827570.html
OMG maintenance is necessary? Specs are published and when not followed equipment breaks. This is news? Our weapons aren't designed for peasant armies like the Russian stuff was. Not saying the Ukrainians are peasants but they've largely become accustomed to using that stuff. I don't run dirty steel case Wolf through my AR like I could (but don't) through my AK. On the other hand I can hit targets with the AR that I can't hit with an East Bloc gun. Non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 11:00 PM

8,171 posts, read 3,693,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
OMG maintenance is necessary? Specs are published and when not followed equipment breaks. This is news? Our weapons aren't designed for peasant armies like the Russian stuff was. Not saying the Ukrainians are peasants but they've largely become accustomed to using that stuff. I don't run dirty steel case Wolf through my AR like I could (but don't) through my AK. On the other hand I can hit targets with the AR that I can't hit with an East Bloc gun. Non-issue.
Nice try. Next.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 995,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Nice try. Next.
Hey where's the LOL and the rolleyes? Not my fault you couldn't make a virtue of a vice, i.e. s**tty quality commie weaponry.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:06 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,735,357 times
ISW Update 11/26

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...nt-november-26

Quote:
Nov 26, 2022 - Press ISW

The overall pace of operations along the frontline has slowed in recent days due to deteriorating weather conditions but is likely to increase starting in the next few weeks as temperatures drop and the ground freezes throughout the theater. Ukrainian and Russian reporting from critical frontline areas throughout eastern and southern Ukraine, including Svatove, Bakhmut, and Vuhledar, indicates that operations on both sides are currently bogged down by heavy rain and resulting heavy mud] Temperatures are forecasted to drop throughout Ukraine over the next week, which will likely freeze the ground and expedite the pace of fighting as mobility increases for both sides. The temperature in areas in Ukraine’s northeast, such as along the Svatove-Kreminna line, will dip to near-or-below-freezing daily highs between November 28 and December 4. It will likely take the ground some days of consistent freezing temperatures to solidify, which means that ground conditions are likely to be set to allow the pace of operations to increase throughout Ukraine over the course of the weekend of December 3-4 and into the following week. It is unclear if either side is actively planning or preparing to resume major offensive or counter-offensive operations at that time, but the meteorological factors that have been hindering such operations will begin lifting.

Old 11-27-2022, 02:11 AM

24,672 posts, read 9,493,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think Russia will have to do more than leave Ukraine to end the war. So much within Ukraine has been destroyed. Who is going to pay for the rebuilding?
Russia isn’t leaving Ukraine or ending the war without Donbas, Luhansk, and Crimea.

Russia isn’t the one being attacked, Ukraine is.

And US taxpayers are going to pay for the rebuilding, if it doesn’t get spent by corrupt politicians.

Old 11-27-2022, 03:09 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Haven't you people learned anything about what got us WWII? Do you want to punish an already financially and militarily wrecked Russia after they lose to Ukraine? A country of people with no democratic history who've only known authoritarian strongmen, stewing in their juices of poverty, resentment and inferiority yearning for days gone by when the world looked at them with fear and respect? We've been to this rodeo. Wise up.
Rebuilding Germany made sense.

Rebuilding Russia does not.

As you. point out, no democratic history, stewing in their own juices of poverty, resentment, and inferiority, armed with nuclear weapons and yearning for days gone by when they were feared, ...

In what universe would it make sense to rebuild such a nation?

Better to let it splinter apart, then work with the nations that emerge. The price of assistance would be handing over those nuclear warheads.

It's a risky move, but what's the alternative?

One Putin after another threatening everyone with those nukes until we all go up in smoke, and the entire planet resembles Mariupol?

It took Moses 40 years to turn slaves into citizens, and that was out in the desert where they were not subject to constant media reports of how unfairly they were being treated.

I have absolutely no inside information on what the Bohemian Club is up to these days, but I cannot imagine they are not interested in the financial opportunities presented by a bunch of small nations with a lot of natural resources. Difficult to imagine they would oppose Russia splintering apart.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-27-2022 at 03:29 AM..

Old 11-27-2022, 03:54 AM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
What do you mean they are gone? Gone where? They are a bargaining chip when real negotiations start.
Your source that it's a bargaining chip? I haven't read anything about it being a bargaining chip.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,867,648 times
China would be glad to help out in rebuilding Russia. Of course it would be on similar terms and loan conditions that they tend to offer other hire world countries. It could actually set up some entertaining oligarchs vs. mandarins scenarios.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:28 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,773,496 times
https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status...78CmkD2JP_etNg

Old 11-27-2022, 08:46 AM

9,902 posts, read 4,670,007 times
Default Ukraine breaking artillery sent to them

Artillery sent to Ukraine is breaking with use that includes firing 2000-4000 shells a day. They big guns have to be sent to Poland for repair. Barrels getting damaged from heavy use. About a third out of service. The newer US 155 were used for troop support in past which required fewer rounds. The M777s are lighter made of titanium but can't handle the heavy use.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...becoming-a-pr/

From a NY Times article but may be a paywall

The Russians and Ukraine having artillery duels which increases use. Could be some mismanagement as well because there's probably a known rate of fire or cooling periods along with basic field maintenance that might extend the life. But in battle it's fire back or else.

The Russians are said to be having issues themselves including running low on ammunition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies