Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 199 39.64%
No 254 50.60%
Unsure 49 9.76%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 05:31 AM

2,388 posts, read 1,109,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because Putin supports a peace treaty and the end of foreign aid to Zelensky, Democrats don't.

WW3 will boost Democrats chance at re-election. Peace will not.

Why do you think China is backing Putin?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-say...ne-2024-04-12/
Putin supports a peace treaty

Putin peace treaty...."Da, I gobble up all Ukraine...then I subjugate them...sound good?".

Putin......The Prince of Peace....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,783,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes it does push Ukrainians back at this point, but if you look at the front lines within the last two years, they didn't move too much in Donbass ( where the major fighting is taking place.)
So my impression is, that in spite of all the grumble in Russia, Putin is counting on collapse of Zelensky regime, as the result of the hits on Ukrainian infrastructure - electric grids first of all.

I think THIS is his plan, more so than the military victory on the battle field.
Certainly, the collapse of the Zelensky government is anticipated by Putin. And yes, that collapse will end the war earlier and save both Ukrainian and Russian lives. Putin needs to preserve his military as much as possible because of NATO's and Western antics that will be expected post-war. The West won't take their defeat easily.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:06 AM

25,709 posts, read 17,481,848 times
You almost have to feel sorry for poor, stupid, greedy Russia.
Russia has the largest supply of natural gas in the world. By far. And they had taken advantage of it by building a web of natural gas pipelines throughout Europe. Europe was happy; Russia was happy. Once in a while, Russia would do something to irritate people, but generally they provided natural gas according to contracts.
And they screwed it up. Europe has now switched to LNG and those expensive natural pipelines will never be used again.
Russia can't pivot and ship gas somewhere else because there are no significant pipelines going to other markets. And now we hear Russia's big LNG project, Arctic LNG 2, has failed. The investors have pulled out, the shippers cannot ship, and proper legal documents have been filed telling customers that Arctic LNG 2 will not be able to deliver. That was a $10B project. Gone. LINK

Our Russian-sympathizing posters want to measure success by the few blocks of some small town being won by Russia's army.
Russia's failure is much, much larger than their success.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:08 AM

24,899 posts, read 9,651,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post

Putin peace treaty...."Da, I gobble up all Ukraine...then I subjugate them...sound good?".

Zelensky has said they will never concede any land despite Russia gaining ground.

Zelensky... The art of the deal....
Quote:
Russia Could Take Kharkiv, Ukraine's Second Largest City, Within Months
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...hs/ar-BB1lHk8F

Breaking news: there won't be anything left to negotiate at this rate. It would be an unconditional surrender.
Quote:
Bloomberg: Russia trying to force evacuation of Kharkiv
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bloomberg...123505398.html

Old 04-16-2024, 07:13 AM

25,709 posts, read 17,481,848 times
Quote:
.............Why do you think China is backing Putin?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-say...ne-2024-04-12/
They're not. The two countries are engaging in normal trade relations, just like your linked article says. China is selling - not giving to - Russia the things they can and buying Russian oil at a discount. Russia pays for everything they get from China, and China will not accept the ruble. That is not "support".

If Chinese aircraft, tanks and ships suddenly appear then China would be "backing" Putin.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:16 AM

24,899 posts, read 9,651,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
They're not.
Yes they are. It's all over the media.
Quote:
China is giving Russia significant support to expand weapons manufacturing as Ukraine war continues, US officials say
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/12/p...ing/index.html

Quote:
China supporting Russia in massive military expansion, US says
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ansion-us-says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

If Chinese aircraft, tanks and ships suddenly appear then China would be "backing" Putin.
US intelligence begs to differ.

Quote:
China secretly sends enough gear to Russia to equip an army
https://www.politico.eu/article/chin...hanghai-h-win/

I'm going to have to side with US intelligence over a random CD poster.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:34 AM

19,191 posts, read 27,829,724 times
4/15 RAF entered formal Chasiv Yar.

Let me remind you that in January there was talk about a huge batch of 1.2 million shells from the Czech Republic, which were supposed to arrive in March. It's mid-April now. They say they have contracted 180 thousand and are expected to receive them in a few months. And they are allegedly working on 300 thousand.

The Ukrainian media lived on this hope for several months. Gradually this bubble deflates.

Now this is an offensive on our part, but we are preparing a more serious offensive.

Ocheretinsky site: yesterday there were significant successes. Our troops reached the outskirts of Ocheretino - less than a kilometer away. This is the enemy’s key stronghold, the capture of which destroys a convenient defense sector.

At the same time, we went north, to the rear of the Berdychs, threatening this group, liberating neighboring Semyonovka, that is, creating an operational-tactical bridgehead on the western bank of the Durnaya River. Well, they attacked Chasov Yar and occupied several high-rise buildings. There are real urban battles going on, and we are also advancing further south, approaching the Seversky Donets canal.

Krasnogorovka: we occupied the southern part of the city and advanced in the eastern part.

Ostashko! Important - subscribe (https://t.me/OstashkoNews)

Old 04-16-2024, 08:19 AM

6,647 posts, read 12,158,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
The Ukraine lovers will be giddy for 2 weeks at most if the "government" approves more "aid" for Ukraine, and then they will be whining for another 60 billion dollars within 6 months or less, with the same tired threats that if "we" don't give another 60 billion dollars to Ukraine, Russia is going to literally take over the whole entire universe.

If the government, specifically Republicans in it, approves more "aid" to Ukraine, I never want to hear ever again that this country doesn't have money for the citizens of this country. I never want to hear about "inflation" ever again. Obviously, money grows on trees. If the "government" can find money to help other countries, it can find money to boost the birth rate, can find money for healthcare, can find money for a Universal Basic Income, can find money for the homeless, can find money to put every single American in a home, can find money for everything.

All the "defense" spending lovers basically end the whole argument that the "government" shouldn't just keep printing more money to fix any problem.
I wouldn't call it giddy since it's more like expensive band-aids for gunshot wounds, but as always it's better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post

Putin also has some beachfront property in Belarus for sale, lol

Old 04-16-2024, 08:38 AM

51,706 posts, read 25,999,352 times
If Putin wants a peace treaty, I'm not seeing the problem. He orders the Russian military to return to Russia.

Life rolls on.

But he doesn't want a peace treaty, he wants a surrender treaty.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:39 AM
bu2

24,162 posts, read 15,021,552 times
Quote:
Yes they are. It's all over the media.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/12/p...ing/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ansion-us-says

US intelligence begs to differ.

https://www.politico.eu/article/chin...hanghai-h-win/

I'm going to have to side with US intelligence over a random CD poster.
China isn't sending arms to Russia. They may send jeeps and raw materials, but they are not sending arms. They are simply making money off Russia. They aren't part of the pro-Ukraine coalition, but they are not Russian allies either. They are war profiteers, doing what is in their interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies