Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 04:41 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,503,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I don’t need to read Chinese to have a decent understanding. I’m not professing to be expert. I do know how to seek alternative information sources and come to a complete understanding. What is your Chinese level? Who are these “connects’ you speak of? Will say I would be thoroughly impressed if you can read the language at a grade school level, but it doesn’t mean much if you are only reading information that confirms your biases.

There are many reasons to be pessimistic about the country’s prospects. At the same time there are many reasons to be optimistic. The U.S. and other nations are no different. Which side you choose to focus comes down to how you already view the country (threat vs friendly). As far as the middle-income trap you are ignoring instances that makes China far different from the other nations this fate has befallen.

1) They have an authoritative government. As much as it sucks to admit it, such governments (if the leadership is good) are better at growing the economy. Prevents stupid people from voting in stupid laws and people only voting for things that benefits their group. Both hurt progress.

2) They have developed their own industries. Take space exploration for example. They will develop entire industries centered upon space tourism, exploration, and research. Look at Tik Tok. The most popular new social media app is ironically Chinese. Don't even get me started on EVs and precious minerals/metals.

3) They are not subservient to the U.S. As with Japan and to some degree S. Korea, once you become too successful the U.S. will come knocking demanding concessions in exchange for continual protection and open trade. Much like the mob. This is one of the reasons, the Japanese economy has grown since the 90s. Look up the Plaza Accords.

4) They have creative and hardworking people. They are incredibly innovative while at the same time fiscally responsible and hardworking. Nation states are built upon the people. Successful people typically bread a successful nation.

At the end of the day, I don't have a crystal ball to see the future, but I wouldn't bet against China at this moment.
How is it that you were able to type all this out, yet failed to notice that the user you were responding to is Taiwanese? Ergo, he knows the language very well.

Old 06-02-2022, 08:01 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
How is it that you were able to type all this out, yet failed to notice that the user you were responding to is Taiwanese? Ergo, he knows the language very well.
That poster sounds like a wumao.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:42 PM

8,871 posts, read 8,456,389 times
Quote:
I don’t need to read Chinese to have a decent understanding. I’m not professing to be expert. I do know how to seek alternative information sources and come to a complete understanding. What is your Chinese level? Who are these “connects’ you speak of? Will say I would be thoroughly impressed if you can read the language at a grade school level, but it doesn’t mean much if you are only reading information that confirms your biases.

There are many reasons to be pessimistic about the country’s prospects. At the same time there are many reasons to be optimistic. The U.S. and other nations are no different. Which side you choose to focus comes down to how you already view the country (threat vs friendly). As far as the middle-income trap you are ignoring instances that makes China far different from the other nations this fate has befallen.

1) They have an authoritative government. As much as it sucks to admit it, such governments (if the leadership is good) are better at growing the economy. Prevents stupid people from voting in stupid laws and people only voting for things that benefits their group. Both hurt progress.

2) They have developed their own industries. Take space exploration for example. They will develop entire industries centered upon space tourism, exploration, and research. Look at Tik Tok. The most popular new social media app is ironically Chinese. Don't even get me started on EVs and precious minerals/metals.

3) They are not subservient to the U.S. As with Japan and to some degree S. Korea, once you become too successful the U.S. will come knocking demanding concessions in exchange for continual protection and open trade. Much like the mob. This is one of the reasons, the Japanese economy has grown since the 90s. Look up the Plaza Accords.

4) They have creative and hardworking people. They are incredibly innovative while at the same time fiscally responsible and hardworking. Nation states are built upon the people. Successful people typically bread a successful nation.

At the end of the day, I don't have a crystal ball to see the future, but I wouldn't bet against China at this moment.
Lmao Chinese is my native language.

Old 06-02-2022, 10:18 PM
pdw

2,677 posts, read 3,099,404 times
I’m so over this thread. I would be very surprised if most of these pro-China accounts were not the same person. The article in the OP is about leaked photos which prove many of the allegations being denied here. Wish we were still discussing that instead

Old 06-03-2022, 12:30 PM

1,651 posts, read 871,039 times
I'll take the L on that one. Going from thread to thread, I got the posters confused. Either way doesn't change the substance of my arguments. To some degree I should be applauded as I have the courage as an American to present a non-American angle as opposed to participating in the echo chamber. I presented valid points as to why China is likely to avoid the middle-income trap. With him being Taiwanese I can understand the inherent bias toward mainland China, especially if he resides in the U.S or a western nation. Doesn't change my points. I wouldn't bet against the mainland.

Old 06-03-2022, 01:16 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,874,855 times
Quote:
I'll take the L on that one. Going from thread to thread, I got the posters confused. Either way doesn't change the substance of my arguments. To some degree I should be applauded as I have the courage as an American to present a non-American angle as opposed to participating in the echo chamber. I presented valid points as to why China is likely to avoid the middle-income trap. With him being Taiwanese I can understand the inherent bias toward mainland China, especially if he resides in the U.S or a western nation. Doesn't change my points. I wouldn't bet against the mainland.
Taking a contrary viewpoint to most people in your country doesn't automatically mean you should be applauded... If you're totally off base, you are going solely off of inaccurate or bad info, etc, that's not bringing educated dissent, that's just being reactionary. I recall you previously saying that Americans' opinions on geopolitical matters "don't count" or that they "have no right to comment," something to that effect... Combining that with your statement about how you should be applauded does change the substance of your arguments: it seems that you have taken the opinion that Americans who don't think like you automatically deserve to have their opinions disregarded or rejected, and you assume that any dissenting opinion to yours is from an American.

Afaik, Greysholic is, in addition to being Taiwanese, in Taiwan. The Taiwanese have a valid reason to react adversely to the CCP's statements and policy, because, you know, they make "taking back" Taiwan a cornerstone of their national policy, and are increasingly more threatening about it.

Edited to add, do you speak or read Mandarin? Are you ethnically Chinese, or do you have deep personal links to the Chinese diaspora or culture? How much time have you spent over there, or abroad in general?

Last edited by 415_s2k; 06-03-2022 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-03-2022, 09:39 PM

2,334 posts, read 966,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
So, this disproves that China could possibly do anything wrong?

As above: let's say this is 100% totally true. Does this mean China is incapable of doing any of the bad things the US has done?

Nope, I'm merely responding to another poster's statement.

It's not, but I'm not giving any credence to articles from BBC, or NBC, or Fox or any western affiliated media, not at face value at least and definitely not when it comes to China or Russia.

The US has killed over a million Muslims since Desert Storm. All of a sudden they care about Muslims in China. You have to be stupid to not think there's ulterior motives.

Last edited by Yac; 06-05-2022 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-03-2022, 09:41 PM

2,334 posts, read 966,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There are plenty of reports out there but since all of them are from Western outlets, I'm sure you'll disregard them. You know as well as I do that they compensate people willing to make pro-China propaganda, you just don't have any issue with it.

Be specific and show me a youtuber and why you think they are state sponsored.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:12 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,977,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Nope, I'm merely responding to another poster's statement.

It's not, but I'm not giving any credence to articles from BBC, or NBC, or Fox or any western affiliated media, not at face value at least and definitely not when it comes to China or Russia.

The US has killed over a million Muslims since Desert Storm. All of a sudden they care about Muslims in China. You have to be stupid to not think there's ulterior motives.
I suggest you take your thoughts to a slightly deeper level. There is a reason that there is such an insane level of censorship by the government, so there is of course unlikely to be any information that can “prove” the case other than those reported or provided by western media.

Last edited by Yac; 06-05-2022 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-03-2022, 11:19 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,977,564 times
Quote:
Stop with the genocide line. What evidence do you have an actual genocide? The term genocide comes from the Greek word Geno, meaning people and the Latin word Cide which is the act of killing. It literally means to kill a group of people. Nowhere has it been shown that China is committing an actual genocide by the textbook or any realistic definition. Don't give me that cultural genocide B.S. that gets thrown around whenever Western nations get exposed in an outright lie or exaggeration and must cover it up.

And maomao is right. Non-whites have suffered atrocities at the hands of white people for hundreds of years. Many of these atrocities included being wrongfully cast as a villain to appease or rile up the white mob depending upon the circumstance. Considering this history, it's only natural for non-white people to approach these allegations from a point of skepticism. The unfortunate truth is many would like to see a world in which China is just as if not more powerful than the U.S., as it would be the first time since the Ottoman Empire that there was a non-white superpower, a welcome balance to the world.
I am of Asian descent. I know White people may have done a lot of terrible stuff in the past centuries but they have acknowledged (for the most part), admitted, paid at least some retribution and changed a lot since then and most importantly be open for discussions and criticisms. If we still hold grudge against the ancestors of those people that would just be a tragedy. Rather we should focus on the present and the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies