Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 08:38 PM
pdw

2,684 posts, read 3,103,160 times

Advertisements

Kind of sad that the Latin alphabet has become forced on people using technology as if other scripts aren’t good enough. Is it true Greysholic that Chinese keyboards are more popular in Taiwan than typing in pinyin using Latin characters? I’m just speculating, is it because traditional characters have a keyboard configuration but simplified characters do not?

Old 08-16-2022, 09:35 PM

8,873 posts, read 8,462,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Kind of sad that the Latin alphabet has become forced on people using technology as if other scripts aren’t good enough. Is it true Greysholic that Chinese keyboards are more popular in Taiwan than typing in pinyin using Latin characters? I’m just speculating, is it because traditional characters have a keyboard configuration but simplified characters do not?
There are several different input methods in Taiwan. The most popular one is bopomofo which is basically like hiragana in Japanese. Children all have to learn it at preschool/first grade and stuff. Nobody uses pinyin here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bopomofo

When you type there's also autocorrect and everything, but when it doesn't autocorrect or it doesn't autocorrect correctly, you scroll down a list of words and pick the one you want. Like this.

Very old people might also use Cangjie or Dayi input methods. I know some people who still use Cangjie (like extremely rare, but it's popular in Hong Kong) but I literally don't know anyone who uses Dayi. I have no idea how to type using these two. But a (older) traditional Taiwanese keyboard layout would have all 3 input methods on it in addition to QWERTY. So basically when we type we have to switch input systems all the time (when you type both in Chinese and in a language that uses Latin alphabet anyway).

The more recent models like a Macbook would only have bopomofo, though.

On a smartphone we also have to switch. Most people also use bopomofo, but very old people who can't type would write on the screen (which I'm assuming is the case for all languages on iPhone? I have no idea as never use the handwriting function on my iPhone). It's the same as a keyboard.

There are some more recent input methods invented by ... tech nerds, like boshiamy, which I know some people use and they say it's even faster than the other input methods, but I have no idea how to use it.

Last edited by Greysholic; 08-16-2022 at 09:46 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 09:55 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,080,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There is also software that can translate very quickly. And assuming that you must live in chinese speaking environment to be able to write and read is incorrect. It is very difficult of course as Chinese is likely the most difficult of all languages to learn. Yet not impossible. Personally, I am someone who failed at it. For me, the effort needed simply not worth it.
Norway has many immigrants who come as an adult and I have yet to meet anyone who can write fluent Norwegian. And as you said, learning to write Chinese is much more difficult. You could use translation software of course, but then you will sound like a retard to anyone who can speak Chinese.

All the evidence show me that this girl is getting help from the inside. That means she is likely to be biased, but if you are just looking for travel videos then it doesn't matter.

Quote:
There is a huge leap between "anything unethical" to genocide which is what this thread is about. As much as someone is paid for promoting something, one can be paid to spread lies as well. This whole fake genocide has been going on well before covid. Anyone can travel to Xinjiang prior to Covid, and now as lockdowns are easing up. We can all just see for ourselves.
You can travel to tourist areas, but if you try to see the camps for yourself then expect trouble.

I wouldn't want to use the word genocide, but they are definitely operating reeducation camps in those areas and its quite probable that the cumulative number of prisoners is around 1 million. They are also doing forced sterilization of Uyghur women with too many kids, which is something they don't do to the Han population. That is bad enough on its own.

https://youtu.be/IsIR2_Vp4yY

Last edited by Camlon; 08-16-2022 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-19-2022, 07:45 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,881,519 times
Remember that UN visit a few months back...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMP
Xinjiang: UN report finds it ‘reasonable to conclude’ forced labour is occurring in autonomous region
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scm...-forced-labour

Last edited by 415_s2k; 08-19-2022 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-22-2022, 10:11 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,447,613 times
Logical discussion about all the trumped-up charges the US makes against China in order to try to wreck their reputation. So far, the tactic is mostly failing as China continues to make progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4s6QNjad7o

Old 08-22-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Logical discussion about all the trumped-up charges the US makes against China in order to try to wreck their reputation. So far, the tactic is mostly failing as China continues to make progress.
Please elaborate, how has China improved since 2019?

Because I am seeing declines everywhere such as

2019: Tourism was booming -> 2022: Tourism is almost dead.
2019: Housing market was booming -> 2022: Housing sales is down significantly
2019: People were relatively free to live -> 2022: People are restricted by covid measures.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:55 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,881,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post

2019: People were relatively free to live -> 2022: People are restricted by covid measures.
I'm also curious about this.

- Economic policies that stifle growth have done just that.
- Foreign investment is down in a way few could have imagined a few years ago.
- Expats leaving in droves; wealthy Chinese with foreign connections doing what they can to leave as well.
- Attempts to restart the sagging economy with new pushes for the two things that future China's boom over the last couple decades - infrastructure and real estate - have fallen completely flat.
- Birth rate continues to fall, even with the scraping of the one child policy.
- Factory closures due to lack of demand, staff, power, or COVID restrictions
- huge levels of malaise among youth due to a feeling and perception that they won't be able to achieve their dreams and a 20%+ unemployment rate.
- global perceptions of China have fallen badly, with the remaining countries that support it tending to be low-productivity nations whose government benefited from BRI investments or other support from China.
Etc...

You can tell when someone hasn't actually paid any attention to what's going on in China in the last 2-3 years.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I'll leave the 'insides of China' for you to comment on for now.

Referring to their position worldwide which continues to rise.
Video discusses the US attempts to trump up charges against China in order to attempt to harm them to keep them from rising. Seems to be failing.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I'll leave the 'insides of China' for you to comment on for now.

Referring to their position worldwide which continues to rise.
Video discusses the US attempts to trump up charges against China in order to attempt to harm them to keep them from rising. Seems to be failing.
Ok, so you are just talking about China's international position. I am seeing the same trend there

2019: China was expanding into the Indian market -> 2022: China is locked out of the Indian market.
2019: China was finalizing an investment deal with the EU -> 2022: The investment deal is dead.
2019: China was expanding BRI investment ->2022: China has reduced BRI investments
2019: China was forming coalitions around the world -> 2022: Countries are leaving Chinese coalitions and AUKSUS and QUAD are created to counter China.
2019: China was gradually isolating Taiwan -> 2022: China launches threats, Pelosi goes anyway and calls China's bluff. Even nationalists found that embarrassing and the CCP had to distract them by some war drills, that in reality was nothing special as China is constantly doing war drills outside Taiwan.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you are just talking about China's international position. I am seeing the same trend there

2019: China was expanding into the Indian market -> 2022: China is locked out of the Indian market.
2019: China was finalizing an investment deal with the EU -> 2022: The investment deal is dead.
2019: China was expanding BRI investment ->2022: China has reduced BRI investments
2019: China was forming coalitions around the world -> 2022: Countries are leaving Chinese coalitions and AUKSUS and QUAD are created to counter China.
2019: China was gradually isolating Taiwan -> 2022: China launches threats, Pelosi goes anyway and calls China's bluff. Even nationalists found that embarrassing and the CCP had to distract them by some war drills, that in reality was nothing special as China is constantly doing war drills outside Taiwan.
China has record trade surpluses despite a global slowdown. More wealth, more influence.
China continues to progress with belt and road eventually will bring in more money/trade/influence
BRICS expansion seems to be forthcoming
China growing trade in South America is now top trading partner
Taiwan still a part of China
China has become and is further positioning itself to be a major counterbalance to western influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies