Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 09:55 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,670,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Drugs are not the only problem on our border. There are criminals, those from known terrorist countries and economic migrants raping our country financially getting into our country to. We must secure our border as much as we can from them to.
Im aware of that, but if the cartels can get their products to where they are going consistently, (they can get anything to its destination).

The cartels mainly send drugs, guns and human victims, into the US, (every city and state in the country). They are having no problems whatsoever doing this consistently, and have done this for decades, (so its not a one party problem).

You have to admit, its a bit strange that the cartels are able to consistently smuggle all this stuff in, DESPITE which party is in power at any given time?! Tell me what that is indicative of please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 12:41 AM

27,220 posts, read 15,399,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Actually, Mexico does just let you walk into their country. Their border to the US is about the most open border one will ever encounter in their travels. I have been there on foot and by car many times and never been stopped by the Mexican authorities on entry. Now coming back is another story. USCBP is nasty. The border is tight, with fences and concertina wire strung on top. Border Patrol trucks are patrolling everywhere on the US side. It is utter nonsense about it being an open border.

The OP is misleading. The Mex-prez is dusting off a G. Bush pipe dream of having an EU-style arrangement in the Americas and that would mean free movement of goods and people throughout. I always thought it to be difficult given the vast wealth differences among the various nations. EU is more uniform, though they do have their poor and wealthy. There would be advantages and disadvantages to consider. I would not mind spending my retirement years in residence somewhere in Mexico or even South America.
Hundreds of thousands and millions of new illegals getting in is not a secure Border and is the harsh reality.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:08 AM

30,274 posts, read 11,909,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Hundreds of thousands and millions of new illegals getting in is not a secure Border and is the harsh reality.
What is there 10 million or 20 million illegals already here? This is nothing new. Reagan did amnesty back in the 80's to deal with the million of illegals back then.

And securing the border is a good idea. It will cut down on some of the drugs entering and some illegals. But most drugs come in through the ports of entry and most people who end up as illegal came here legally and simply overstayed their visas. And there are numerous tunnels lots of drugs and people enter that way. CBP finds some of them. But new ones pop up all time time. There are also dirty border patrol agents on the take who let things through.

Just repeating a sound bite does not explain the entire situation.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-08-2022 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-08-2022, 06:17 AM

2,043 posts, read 887,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Run
Where?

Old 06-08-2022, 06:38 AM

63,119 posts, read 29,298,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im aware of that, but if the cartels can get their products to where they are going consistently, (they can get anything to its destination).

The cartels mainly send drugs, guns and human victims, into the US, (every city and state in the country). They are having no problems whatsoever doing this consistently, and have done this for decades, (so its not a one party problem).

You have to admit, its a bit strange that the cartels are able to consistently smuggle all this stuff in, DESPITE which party is in power at any given time?! Tell me what that is indicative of please?
I think we all know the answer to that. It's the demand for drugs and the demand for cheap labor. We need solutions for both to curtail these problems. It's easier to curtail the latter than it is to curtail the former. Under Biden the latter has set new records because he has done away with all of Trump's border policies and stopped the building of the wall. The Democrats keep promising amnesty again and all kinds of perks for illegal aliens so those are incentives to come here. I know the GOP would like to put an end to birthright citizenship that is a PC policy only but the Democrats would never go along with that. All of the incentives need to end for illegal aliens to continue to come here.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:44 AM

7,688 posts, read 5,558,209 times
I’ve idly thought that the solution to the deep divide in the U.S. might be to switch a European Union style of arrangement with individual states or groups of states becoming separate countries with separate modern constitutions to suit their respective political beliefs, separate political parties and separate supreme courts, replacing the current federal court. There would be free trade and free movement between the separate new countries and a central co-ordination, similar to that which exists in the EU.

It seems nuts to me that a country the size of the US has only two viable political parties.

Last edited by cdnirene; 06-08-2022 at 06:54 AM..

Old 06-08-2022, 06:53 AM

30,274 posts, read 11,909,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think we all know the answer to that. It's the demand for drugs and the demand for cheap labor. We need solutions for both to curtail these problems. It's easier to curtail the latter than it is to curtail the former. Under Biden the latter has set new records because he has done away with all of Trump's border policies and stopped the building of the wall. The Democrats keep promising amnesty again and all kinds of perks for illegal aliens so those are incentives to come here. I know the GOP would like to put an end to birthright citizenship that is a PC policy only but the Democrats would never go along with that. All of the incentives need to end for illegal aliens to continue to come here.
You are not going to curtail the demand for drugs. We have spent a trillion fighting it for decades. Better to decriminalize all drugs and focus on rehab and treatment. Doing that would destroy the cartel overnight. I know that is not popular to most on the right and probably many on the left but 40 years of the war on drugs and if anything its getting worse. Simply allow the manufacture of these drugs on US soil. Have dispensaries where addicts can get them and focus on getting them off those drugs. I know its not a popular idea but I think its a better choice than just more of the same which clearly is not working. This would also get rid of all the street dealers and associated crime and gun violence.

Then work on removing the incentives as well as criminalize hiring people here illegally. One of the biggest incentives is simply they can make more money here even under the table or being house keepers etc. You can't change that fact but you can put people in federal prison including homeowners who hire illegals to watch their kids and clean their houses. Start locking people up and they will stop hiring these people. And long prison terms for illegals who work here. Problem could be solved without treading on PC culture which will block birthright citizenship, etc. Most illegals here are not hardcore criminals. The idea of being locked up in federal prison for 10 years or whatever will scare most away. Right now there is little chance anything will happen to them so they keep coming in.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-08-2022 at 07:04 AM..

Old 06-08-2022, 07:01 AM

7,070 posts, read 2,756,814 times
The next GOP president should deduct $100K in foreign aid for every illegal that crosses its border into the United States. That is the only way to get Mexico to stop the flow.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:49 AM

63,119 posts, read 29,298,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’ve idly thought that the solution to the deep divide in the U.S. might be to switch a European Union style of arrangement with individual states or groups of states becoming separate countries with separate modern constitutions to suit their respective political beliefs, separate political parties and separate supreme courts, replacing the current federal court. There would be free trade and free movement between the separate new countries and a central co-ordination, similar to that which exists in the EU.

It seems nuts to me that a country the size of the US has only two viable political parties.
Except some of these states border Mexico and if they don't want free movement of foreigners across their borders so they can get to those separate new countries (formerly states) that want them it will be a problem just like we have today.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:59 AM

5,975 posts, read 2,793,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I agree, once the US annexes Mexico and takes full control of the place.
The US should annex Alberta and Saskatchewan.

The smug/elite types live in Toronto - Ottawa, often making fun of western Canadians. Western Canadians are more aligned with freedom loving, independent Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies