Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 02:20 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,903,503 times

Advertisements

After reading a lot of the doom and gloom on this board (unjustified in my humble opinion), this story really hit me. Hard.

The biggest threat against the MAGA movement isn't the Left, the media, or even electoral theft - it's ourselves.

DeSantis Tops Trump in Conservative Straw Poll But There's Something Unsettling About It

Quote:
DeSantis won 71% of the vote to the former president’s 67% in the straw poll, which was taken during the weekend’s Western Conservative Summit in Denver and means little in itself. Participants are allowed to offer multiple responses.

What’s unsettling about this is the proximity between the two among conservative voters. They both clinch a good chunk of support from the base. If they duke it out, it could get very bloody which is what the Democrats and the liberal media so desperately want. It’s the only thing Joe Biden could have going for him possibly.

The economy won’t get better under Biden, we’re still going to be dealing with a host of domestic crises that he will be two or three steps behind. The GOP beating themselves up could drive a wedge. I’m not sure. All I know is that if we have a united front around one candidate early and out of the gate, the more chances we have at hammering this guy and his shoddy record. There needs to be a talk between the two.

I just don’t want a civil war amid what could be one of the most winnable elections for us in 2024. Debate among yourselves, but seriously—I can vote for both gentlemen in a heartbeat. It’s how we get to the general that worries me a bit given these results. I know straw polls are not the holy grail here, but you know both men capture the base. They’re the face of the GOP. It could be nasty if they go to war with one another.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...g-n2608373?814

I agree with this author whole-heartedly.

Although I am in the Trump camp, if he stepped aside for DeSantis, I would rejoice - and happily support DeSantis full force. But DeSantis is still young, and has more good he can do for FL - then we tee him up for 2028 and we get the longest Republican reign since the 80s.

On the other hand, if the Left has its way - they take the two strongest figures in the Party and pit them against each other - and it produces rapid electoral destruction for the MAGA GOP. Because both men agree on virtually everything and draw much of the same base of support.

I concur that they need to have a talk and one hundred percent ensure there is no civil war.

For one thing, even if DeSantis prevailed in a food fight with Trump, the MSM would then use that against him in the general to try and persuade Trump supporters to stay home. Of course, if the roles were reversed this holds true as well - but many Republicans seem to think DeSantis is somehow immune to the media's attacks. The media would act accordingly in an attempt to divide the MAGA movement permanently, and thus decimate its ranks - ultimately keeping the Dems in power.

Make no mistake, I firmly believe this is the Left's "ace in the hole" - break in case of emergency - and our two greatest assets need to recognize this ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 02:40 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Trump is the only hope America has. Proven leader with positive historic accomplishments.

The greatest scandal in American history, the insurrection of a sitting president by elected legislators, media and intel agencies!!!!! Jaw dropping modern day cabal and it is ignored and goes unnoticed when criticizing Trump.

As if 911 occurred and the media did not report on it and legislators pretended it didn;t happen.

Desantis has time to be prez after trump.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
After reading a lot of the doom and gloom on this board (unjustified in my humble opinion), this story really hit me. Hard.

The biggest threat against the MAGA movement isn't the Left, the media, or even electoral theft - it's ourselves.

DeSantis Tops Trump in Conservative Straw Poll But There's Something Unsettling About It

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...g-n2608373?814

I agree with this author whole-heartedly.

Although I am in the Trump camp, if he stepped aside for DeSantis, I would rejoice - and happily support DeSantis full force. But DeSantis is still young, and has more good he can do for FL - then we tee him up for 2028 and we get the longest Republican reign since the 80s.

On the other hand, if the Left has its way - they take the two strongest figures in the Party and pit them against each other - and it produces rapid electoral destruction for the MAGA GOP. Because both men agree on virtually everything and draw much of the same base of support.

I concur that they need to have a talk and one hundred percent ensure there is no civil war.

For one thing, even if DeSantis prevailed in a food fight with Trump, the MSM would then use that against him in the general to try and persuade Trump supporters to stay home. Of course, if the roles were reversed this holds true as well - but many Republicans seem to think DeSantis is somehow immune to the media's attacks. The media would act accordingly in an attempt to divide the MAGA movement permanently, and thus decimate its ranks - ultimately keeping the Dems in power.

Make no mistake, I firmly believe this is the Left's "ace in the hole" - break in case of emergency - and our two greatest assets need to recognize this ASAP.
Trump needs to step aside. This conservative will be once again debating whether or not to vote 3rd Party if Trump wins the primary. What all you “Trump or Nothing” folks need to consider is that if I am not sure I can bring myself to vote for him imagine how hard it will be to convince Independents to, let alone unhappy Democrats.

We can have Trump’s policies without Trump. DeSantsis has shown himself to be a tough fighter who isn’t going to let Democrats or the media run over him and he doesn’t have Trump’s baggage. Plus, by God, he is younger than me.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:19 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
People who think Trump will miraculously "pivot" away from his reason for being, his putrefied maga-lomania, his narcissism, are fooling themselves. He is so intoxicated with his own persona that cannot imagine stepping away from the spotlight. That would only confirm his loser status.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:59 PM

4,548 posts, read 2,274,607 times
Uh, I hope I am not forced to pick between Trump and DeSantis. I don’t want to lose DeSantis as our governor. I love what Trump did for our economy but I hate the left and their endless witch hunts.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:05 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times
The only thing that can stop Republicans is Democrats getting off their ass and helping regular people.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:19 PM

5,746 posts, read 4,706,142 times
I hope Trump stays home. Desantis is damn smart, has excellent conservative ideals, and all without the childish antics, name calling, pettiness, insults, etc...

Desantis with Nikki Haley as VP would be a winning ticket.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:19 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,372,535 times
I can't imagine there would be many Republicans that would vote for Biden or 3rd party if their preferred nominee wasn't on the ballot.

I'd prefer Desantis but would vote for Trump if needed. Either way Biden needs to be gone.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:21 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,315 times
The republican nominee needs to talk guns, and keeping the 2nd amendment, something Trump failed to do.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
That theory is understood VERY well by the left.

I'm not sure why the Right can't see this as clearly.

If Trump INSISTS on running again, the republicans have little chance. They're too split.

If he somehow grows some maturity (unlikely) and steps aside and throws all his support behind whoever the republican candidate is, you will very likely win.

Biden's not running again, so you can take that off the table as something to strategize about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies