Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 04:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times

Advertisements

Yeah.. its weird to oppose something for others when you condone it in your household

Old 07-27-2022, 05:02 AM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It matters what his constituents think. He represents them, not himself.
Apart from this, the OP isn't even correct. The congressman called the bill a gimmick and one that was unnecessary. That hardly equates to the congressman opposing SSM, which is already federally recognized.

I saw articles on this topic and thought, how bizarre and intentionally misleading.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:17 AM

269 posts, read 92,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If I was his son I would have banned him from the wedding and told him why to his face.

He may be biologically responsible, but he's no father.
Typical narrow minded hate from a liberal.

Quote:
Feltdesigner said
Yeah.. its weird to oppose something for others when you condone it in your household
Where does it say he is against same sex marriage? He might be but voting against this bill does not mean that.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:20 AM

4,857 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What a hypocrite. I feel bad for his son with such a two faced father...
What you should do is respect the father for being able to put his personal feelings aside and attend his son's wedding.. and again for doing his job and voting his conscious. Parents can still love their children despite not agreeing with their lifestyle. I say good on him.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:23 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Back in 2007 Florida voted to amend the state constitution to ban gay marriage and civil unions. I voted NO. Three months later I went up to NY for my daughter's gay wedding.

Working in public school I was asked to swear allegiance to and uphold both the US Constitution AND the Florida State Constitution. I signed the former, but not the latter. You cannot fire me for not upholding the state constitution by attending my daughter's wedding. That got a lot of laughs among coworkers.

Seriously, though, daughter and I did discuss what would happen to them when they visited us in Florida. What happens if you get in a car crash and your marriage is not recognized in Florida????? Draw up additional legal paperwork to get around not be legally married? Major problem with states not recognizing other states marriages. You have the Loving's interracial marriage experience with this.

Drivers Licenses. Other side of the coin. I had a Real ID Florida Drivers License when I moved 5 years ago. This year I got an email that I was approved for a Real ID PA Drivers License and could renew it online. Did not have to go down to the DVM with all that paperwork and prove I was a US Citizen all over AGAIN. That is as it should be, and the same should apply to marriages across the states.

Last edited by Jo48; 07-27-2022 at 05:41 AM..

Old 07-27-2022, 06:19 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
People always missing the forest for the trees.

Democrats in particular are unusually susceptible to this.... Getting caught up in the minutia of every little issue instead of addressing the big picture .

In this case, the big picture is that the government should be staying out of marriage entirely.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:49 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
First off, supporting your family can be unconditional to how you may feel about a topic.

Second, it could be seen as a states right issue and a good lawmaker represents their constituency even if they're not completely on board with it.

Really not seeing the hypocrisy here if you consider that some people don't have as rigid of mindsets as others and will *gasp* actually represent their voters.
He is a hypocrite- because the other young man represents others who need this law. It’s like the parent who yells at the kids - don’t smoke while he puffs away.

Hypocrite:
characterized by behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel : characterized by hypocrisy said that it was hypocritical to demand respect from students without respecting them in return a hypocritical gesture of modesty and virtue. being a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings ...
https://www.merriam-webster.com › ...

Old 07-27-2022, 07:21 AM

1,929 posts, read 559,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
He is a hypocrite- because the other young man represents others who need this law. It’s like the parent who yells at the kids - don’t smoke while he puffs away.
It is not unusual for a man to do something for his kids that he will not do for others, regardless the name calling which follows..
Quote:
Hypocrite:
characterized by behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel : characterized by hypocrisy said that it was hypocritical to demand respect from students without respecting them in return a hypocritical gesture of modesty and virtue. being a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings ...
https://www.merriam-webster.com › ...
There are different manner of 'hypocrites'. From your link:

"Holding up high moral, ethical, and social standards is very difficult, because if one falls short of being a perfect example, one becomes a target and a hypocrite, albeit a well-meaning one.
— Mark Masters et al., New Dimensions, June 1990"

Old 07-27-2022, 07:37 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,491 times
So fracking what! He's is still his son and family first in case you forgot that you bunch of )(&(^&^&

Old 07-27-2022, 11:44 AM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What a hypocrite. I feel bad for his son with such a two faced father.

GOP lawmaker opposed same-sex marriage, then went to gay son’s wedding

Rep. Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) last week voted against federal legislation that would require states to recognize same-sex marriages. Three days later, the congressman attended his son’s same-sex wedding.

“Congressman and Mrs. Thompson were thrilled to attend and celebrate their son’s marriage on Friday night as he began this new chapter in his life. The Thompsons are very happy to welcome their new son-in-law into their family,” Thompson’s press secretary, Maddison Stone, told The Washington Post late Monday in an email.
I'm gay and I don't believe in marriage at all. Got anything to say about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies