Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 08:41 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times

Advertisements

How do we start to heal as a country? Distrust in our fellow Americans within the opposing party is on the rise and faith in all major US institutions is falling.

How do we turn this around?

1. No dehumanizing opponents. No calling Republicans "MAGAts," no calling Democrats "libt--ds." In WWII all of the countries Axis and Allies dehumanized their opponents to make it easier to hate and easier to kill the enemy. We must always recognize the humanity of humans. Speak out against this, especially when your side does this.

2. Turn off media that makes you angry or seeks to rile people up.

3. Get out of the echo chamber. If you read/watch/post about the news, look at multiple sources not just the sources that make you happy/secure in your beliefs. Most Americans can't accurately describe the motives and positions of the opposing party....including most that think they can. This is what scientific studies say.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-other/592324/

4. Most people in the opposing party are good people if you get to know them. The problem is we don't want to too often.

5. Seek out political compromises knowing that each party won't get 100% of what it wants.

6. Don't be afraid to vote in moderates.

7. Look inward to avoid hypocrisy. If you are outraged when the other side does something, don't excuse it when your side does it too.

8. Don't divide people up into groups or make superficial judgments about groups.

9. Love and serve your neighbor as you would have happen to yourself.

What do you all think? Where am I right, where am I wrong? What would you add?

Last edited by QuakerBaker; 08-11-2022 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-11-2022, 08:55 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
I agree with everything you stated, but the first REAL step is to create ONE justice system for all Americans and ensure that it doesn’t favor one party over the other. Until that happens, there will always be a level of distrust.

Without trust, the division within the US will only get worse and nobody wins in that situation.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:56 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
There is no point in all that.

Fighting with our evil opponents behind keyboards and on cell phones is more fun and sporting. Cussing at the TV or whatever streaming device we see our evil enemies and their minions is more therapeutic. And watching or listening to your favorite red meat media outlet inspires us to higher levels of resolve to fight another day.

Young lady, do you have any idea of what all that Kumbaya stuff would do to P&OC on C-D???

Old 08-11-2022, 08:57 AM

43,111 posts, read 18,281,341 times
WE can't do anything. The government and media own us now.

I took the red pill myself and don't believe a word of what they say anymore.
But all I get are eye rolls from my friends as they have been "assimilated".

Old 08-11-2022, 08:58 AM

962 posts, read 541,204 times
I think this is all good advice. Logging into places like this doesn't help in the slightest. I'm never going to convince anyone by arguing on this site. It feels good in the moment but ultimately we're choosing to divide ourselves wilfully.

First, some people are so consumed in the world their media crafts for them that they are unwilling or unable to see their neighbors as good people anymore. That's a big problem. I don't really know how to fix that.

The problem it's core, I believe, is that we are lonely, we are losing institutions that unite people, and this is affecting our mental well-being. There are no more bowling leagues, or Knights of Columbus halls, or book groups, or unions or church groups.

My crazy idea would be for the federal government to provide tax credits for people who organize or engage in group activities. I believe, if we weren't yelling at each other on the internet over politics, and instead engaging in activities we each find pleasurable, we would find it easy to make friends with people of differing politics. It used to be that way. Instead, we self-select, choosing only to engage with people with similar politics. I do it too. I think this only serves to divide us further.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:59 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
The way I see it is the Dems threw a nutty over Trump and we are still paying the price. We all saw how ugly the Left can be. Sure Trump was rough around the edges but many of his policies were Pro America and the Dems flat out refused to work with him at all. They are what divided the country and they still are. You are either all in with their Far Left schemes or you are OUT and they have no use for you.

The Reps are still a centered but the Dems have been taken over by the SJW Woke Far Left that seek to tear it all down.

We are going to continue to be divided and hurting as long as the Democrats continue on their current path.

I can't imagine what is going to happen if Trump should win the WH again. I actually fear that his kids will find themselves without a Father. The Dems have viciously and vindictively thrown everything at him and they are so warped with the TDS that ending him could be their last resort.

The Democrats need to return to the Center and make America and her people a priority again. We don't care about being carbon neutral in 10 years, we don't care about Jan 6th when we are having trouble today deciding between Gas, Medicine or Food and safety concerns stemming from the Open Border to career criminals roaming the streets.

How do we start to Heal? The Democrats need to dump the Far Left agenda, return more to the center and stop being so ugly, angry and vindictive.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:01 AM

588 posts, read 225,297 times
No healing until we greatly reduce the overall size and scope of the federal government and that may never happen with the power players on both sides demanding the opposite.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:03 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,347,968 times
It’s way too late for any type of healing. I will never, ever forgive the other side for the way they treated President Trump.

We need to fully accept the fact that we will never come together as a nation ever again.

The best thing we can hope for is that it doesn’t escalate to widespread violence and that we can peacefully coexist as enemies.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:06 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,224 times
The only way to peace is to respect each other's rights to life, liberty and property.

It is that simple.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:10 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,249,265 times
We don't. It's over.

A peaceful plan for succession is the only possible solution but the powermad leftists will never willfully let that happen.

We will split and it will be ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies