Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 03:23 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
This place is weird.
You win

You succinctly sized up this forum.

As O’Really used to say; “pithy, please”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 03:32 PM

439 posts, read 290,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well Minorities and Women are just as smart as anyone else so I don't see how they could be discriminated against.

I think the requirements to get into college could be toughened up but what is certainly needed is the requirements to get out of college. We have far too many people that are graduating with worthless degrees and they cannot get jobs. Of course Biden is now going to be paying down student loan debt to bail out the students that did not make wise decisions and we are all paying for it....

I say the colleges should be paying for these students that they processed through and now they are looking for what is a welfare payout.
Well, how do you explain how miss "Gonna stab you and watch you bleed to death" psychologist girl get into yale or "I'm unsmart" girl manage to get into college/university?

Old 08-24-2022, 03:37 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
I have hired high school grads who could not tell time and had no idea what the marks on a rule were. And they were mostly white males.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:40 PM

439 posts, read 290,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Most of the 4 year degrees could be compacted into a 2 year degree. Who needs to rehash what they learned in high school, which the first two years generally amounts to. I suspect this will happen with areas where there are shortages. Years ago, Speech Pathologists were short in the districts, and a local community college started a certificate program for that. The good thing about the CC and tech schools is that they will tailor certificates and degrees to match the needs of the area where they are located. Yeah, these aren't party schools, so............

I don't care who they let in and for what, as long as the student is able to pay for it.

If one wants to spend more on a degree than makes sense, that is fine with me, but again, they need to be able to financially support that education.
I think that's the kind of mentality that is a MAJOR problem. You SHOULD care who they let in and for what. Hitler was let into Art school and we saw where that got us. Stalin went to the Gori Church School. And yeah, you can say they were much younger then, so no one could have predicted what monsters they'd become, but really? I find it VERY hard to believe that even at young ages there weren't some signs what kind off psychopaths they were.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:49 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCola_Classic View Post
IQ can also be dependent on how nurished you are. Bring from a poor area, malnourishment and stress can lower your IQ scores.
Over-exposure to some of the threads on this forum probably have the same effect.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:01 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Wow, not a controversial, thread derailing statement at all

That said, even in today's college environment, it's obvious that there are different levels of colleges with different levels of acceptance criteria so a generic statement like "shouldn't the standards be higher?" makes no sense as a generic question. Try getting into MIT and ask again if their criteria is not high enough?

You need to rephrase your question to actually be able to elicit reasoned responses, as is it's much closer to trolling.
Quite so. My finger was poised, frozen into immobility over the keyboard trying to figure out how to pry open this smelly oyster of a question.

Think I'll just sit this one out.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:08 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
College is a consumer good. Actually, a service. If you have the money to purchase a college education, nobody should be able to prevent you from purchasing that service.

The controversy comes into play when nationally top ranked colleges admit lower performing students over higher performing students, for whatever reason. It is not as though the higher performing rejects can't get admitted to a 4 year college somewhere, just not the one of their choice. Just as it is not as if the lower peforming students have an entitlement to get into a prestigious college.

I come down on the side of merit in all cases, and I have always hated the idea that you automatically get to go to Harvard just because your brilliant famous Dad went to Harvard. The higher ranked colleges and universitites should all be earned in every instance.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:13 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Liberals praise countries like Germany for free college, but ignore that only 1/3rd get to go and 2/3rds are tracked out and blocked from college.

They also cut out useless majors.

These restrictions along with no budget draining varsity sports and water theme parks for colleges make it affordable for the government.

2/3rds of US kids go to college.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:16 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,547,612 times
It's up to the colleges and universities to determine their entrance standards. They don't need a bunch of unqualified people deciding that.

Old 08-24-2022, 04:22 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
Cost isn't as much a student issue as it is a college issue. Big College has been exploiting 3rd party reimbursement wether that subsidy is from a loan, parents, scholarship, grant etc. As long as someone else is paying for it inflation will fester as it has with Big College

https://myelearningworld.com/cost-of...-vs-inflation/

There' a reason there are 'financial aid' offices in Big College and it's not all to benefit the student. Who else uses 'financial aid' offices or people. Car dealers do this because it works to help sell the car. Colleges do it because it helps sell dreams and desires. Both focus on the positives/advocate the buyers decision when it comes to their product.

In the car lot or campus financial aid office how many times are words like contract, obligation, debt or owe brought up? Both it's sign here here and here. They want to get you in and out for a reason. They play the convenience game(no need to read or think about that pesky fine print).

Part of the issue with the lack of understanding of a contract falls on parents and high schools. Everyone should be forced to a take a basic business course that goes over the concept of a contract, an obligation or agreement based on both parties word/signature. Real world contracts for money need more attention than an online user agreement. The loan servicer should make it clear this is what you will owe, this is how much debt you will have.

It's no joke when one says they are signing their life away after signing multi page agreements contracts. It's because there are consequences for honoring their end..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies