Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 02:38 PM

439 posts, read 290,135 times

Advertisements

People complain about how costly college/university is, but is it not one of the weakest kinds of people we see today getting in? We have all these unsmart people that have IQs in the negative numbers yet manage to get in...…somehow. Shouldn't standards to get into college/university be MUCH higher? Or would that be discrimination among minorities/women etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2022, 02:52 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Shouldn't standards to get into college/university be MUCH higher? Or would that be discrimination among minorities/women etc.?
Wow, not a controversial, thread derailing statement at all

That said, even in today's college environment, it's obvious that there are different levels of colleges with different levels of acceptance criteria so a generic statement like "shouldn't the standards be higher?" makes no sense as a generic question. Try getting into MIT and ask again if their criteria is not high enough?

You need to rephrase your question to actually be able to elicit reasoned responses, as is it's much closer to trolling.

Old 08-24-2022, 02:57 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Well Minorities and Women are just as smart as anyone else so I don't see how they could be discriminated against.

I think the requirements to get into college could be toughened up but what is certainly needed is the requirements to get out of college. We have far too many people that are graduating with worthless degrees and they cannot get jobs. Of course Biden is now going to be paying down student loan debt to bail out the students that did not make wise decisions and we are all paying for it....

I say the colleges should be paying for these students that they processed through and now they are looking for what is a welfare payout.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:02 PM

467 posts, read 778,373 times
This place is weird.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:03 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
People complain about how costly college/university is, but is it not one of the weakest kinds of people we see today getting in? We have all these unsmart people that have IQs in the negative numbers yet manage to get in...…somehow. Shouldn't standards to get into college/university be MUCH higher? Or would that be discrimination among minorities/women etc.?
Since this is C-D, you can't assume anything. What do you mean by weak? The acceptance rates of the top tier universities certainly don't indicate they are easy to get in unless your parents contributed millions to the school. Quotas and affirmative action just means you are competing against people of your own race, but there are enough people of every race trying to get into these schools that it's not easy.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:07 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Many colleges have fairly high standards to get in. At least when my kids were applying about 10 years ago. They didn't get into all the colleges they wanted because their grades and test scores weren't rigorous enough for College A, but were fine for College B, and were above what College C required. Community colleges really have no bar for admission, although if high school grades and entrance exams aren't high enough, you often have to pass remedial, non-credited courses to prove you can do it.

So I'm not sure your question has much merit. I didn't realize that women or minorities had low-IQs. I'm not a minority so I can't speak to that, but as far as my experience goes, I've never had an admissions "break" to enter college due to being a woman, and neither did my daughter. In fact, enrollment among women is higher than men and men are now often giving preferential admission in order to balance the numbers.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:11 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well Minorities and Women are just as smart as anyone else so I don't see how they could be discriminated against.

I think the requirements to get into college could be toughened up but what is certainly needed is the requirements to get out of college. We have far too many people that are graduating with worthless degrees and they cannot get jobs. Of course Biden is now going to be paying down student loan debt to bail out the students that did not make wise decisions and we are all paying for it....

I say the colleges should be paying for these students that they processed through and now they are looking for what is a welfare payout.
I am with you on the student loan bailout. Have never been a fan of that AT ALL. In fact, it just pisses me off.

That said, would you call a teacher a person with a worthless degree? We need teachers in this country...bad. We pay them very little, yet most of the "good" school districts require a master's degree, though they will often let you start without one. Many students go to 4 year colleges for that degree because they often offer an accelerated masters that can be done in 5 years. Not cheap. So you can come out of school with potentially 5 years of debts ($100K is not unheard of) and you land a nice $45K per year job, full of aggravation, and you get to figure out how to pay that off. I would NEVER take on debt like that, but teaching is a calling for some people and that's what they want to do. I think we need to be careful about lumping people like that in with the "students who didn't make wise decisions." Because we need teachers.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:14 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Their answer is CC and technical schools not 4 year universities

Old 08-24-2022, 03:21 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I'd say : common sense needs to be a criteria.

During my corporate time at a network company we often sponsored: college level internship. They received course credit and a paycheck to work at our corp.
A few were definitely brainiacs. Computer programming skills , or technical trades. The first year students rarely took notes, or showed up on time. They tended to have this attitude of they'd get the credits whether we confirmed their attendence or not. The college though audited us. We also had to have accurate records of progress and format of tasks. It was impressive to see the collaboration between local business and higher education.
Anyways it's my two cents that common sense in note taking, applying knowledge, retaining knowledge and contributing be a pre req for the applicant to college courses.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:22 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Their answer is CC and technical schools not 4 year universities
Most of the 4 year degrees could be compacted into a 2 year degree. Who needs to rehash what they learned in high school, which the first two years generally amounts to. I suspect this will happen with areas where there are shortages. Years ago, Speech Pathologists were short in the districts, and a local community college started a certificate program for that. The good thing about the CC and tech schools is that they will tailor certificates and degrees to match the needs of the area where they are located. Yeah, these aren't party schools, so............

I don't care who they let in and for what, as long as the student is able to pay for it.

If one wants to spend more on a degree than makes sense, that is fine with me, but again, they need to be able to financially support that education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies