Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2022, 12:45 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Why is he now being indicted for something he was pardoned of?
Political - It's all about Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 12:46 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Why is he now being indicted for something he was pardoned of?
He was prdoned for the federal charges. A state can still prosecute him on state chargtes of fraud, which are different.

You are being stubborn in this thread. What source exactly could convince you that Bannon is guilty, since you mistrust so many media outlets? There is evidence that Bannon committed a crime, as determined by a grand jury.

Now Bannon has to see if they can find him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a trial.

Those are all the legalities. What you ignore is the fact that Bannon collected millions of dollars of contributions to build a wall and didn't build any wall. Those are facts which even you can admit.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:07 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
He pled not guilty, and would not do that if he was guilty.
People who have committed crimes frequently please not guilty, at least initially. They want to see how strong the evidence against them. Under our justice system the defendant has the right to force the government to prove its case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yes he would. If you plead guilty, you don't get a trial. You get a trial if you do. You also waive your right to counsel. Very few defendants plead guilty. Even the guilty ones.
I think pleading not guilty at an arraignment may be fairly common; I'm not sure. But the most common ultimate plea is guilty and the vast majority of cases are subject to a plea deal and never go to trial. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-found-guilty/ A defendant does not waive the right to counsel by pleading guilty.

Quote:
But I thought pleading guilty if you are guilty would make things easier on you.
Typically the reason people enter a plea deal is because they are offered reduced charges and/or a reduced sentence compared to what they may face going to trial. It's the incentive to enter the deal.

Quote:
Ok, fine, evidence. But what one person considers evidence another person might not. And evidence can be faked.
The law has very specific rules about what can be offered as evidence, what can;t, and what is can be submitted to prove.

Quote:
Something about this is wrong, because, as I said, Bannon already knew they were out to get him. Would you commit obvious crimes if you knew you were a political target?
What one person might do in a particular situation is not what every person would do in that same situation. This argument has no bearing on what Bannon did or didn't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Unlike the previous administration, Bannon can't lie all he wants and expect a pardon. It will be his burden of proof to show he is innocent.

Blago learned the hard way the feds have tapes and I'm sure they have Bannon red handed.
In the US the prosecution has the burden of proof to show the defendant is guilty.

Quote:
Yeah.

I mean, who in their right mind would ever say that evidence is proof? There is weak evidence, strong evidence, fake evidence, damning evidence, contradictory evidence, etc.

And, as I said, if evidence were proof why waste time and money on trials?
This is semantics, or perhaps you are believe "prove" in this context means proving the overall charge. That isn't the case. Each piece of evidence is submitted as proof of a particular fact that is relevant to the case, and as noted earlier there are very specific rules as to what can be offered, how it can be offered, and to prove what facts.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:01 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
I don't know if its been shared in here yet, but I just found the new NY indictment of Bannon for this. Open it up and take a look at this. It details what all went on. You can see it's more than just a simple statement like "Bannon stole money!" The lawyers have to lay out the details in their original complaint.

FYI, In this one it says "Unindicted Co-Conspirator 1"...that's Brian Kolfage. As part of their campaign he swore he wouldn't take a dime, but turns out there was Secret payments to him and more.

Link to download:
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/file...on_release.pdf

Press release:
https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2022...dictment-steve

Last edited by latimeria; 09-11-2022 at 04:33 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 04:10 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,309,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I don't know if its been shared in here yet, but I just found the new NY indictment of Bannon for this. Open it up and take a look at this. It details what all went on. You can see it's more than just a simple statement like "Bannon stole money!" The lawyers have to lay out the details in their original complaint.

FYI, In this one it says "Unindicted Co-Conspirator 1"...that's Brian Kolfage. As part of their campaign he swore he wouldn't take a dime, but turns out there was Secret payments to him and more.

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/file...on_release.pdf

https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2022...ndictment-stev
Bottom link says "Page not found"

Old 09-11-2022, 04:29 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Bottom link says "Page not found"
Oh thanks, that was the press release about it. Looks like the letter E somehow got left out of Steve in the URL when I pasted. Fixed.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:32 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Part gut feeling, and part knowing how rabidly the Democrats have been going after Trump and others associated with him. Meanwhile, you don't hear much about Democrats being indicted. There was pretty clear evidence Biden was somehow involved in his son's corruption, but it got ignored by the mainstream press.
That little deflection you wrote about Biden happened while Trump was in office. Why didn't the DOJ do anything then?

Old 09-11-2022, 04:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Never underestimate the sheer stupidly of the criminal element. In Bannon's case there's also at lot of hubris involved. Dude thinks/thought he was above the law.
A lot of posters on this thread think that too

Old 09-11-2022, 05:09 PM

6,104 posts, read 2,727,097 times
Trump didn't pardon people because they were innocent or based on evidence he pardoned them based on loyalty. Bannon and other Trump cronies thought they had a get-out-of-jail-free card as long as Trump was president.

The feds can't go after Bannon anymore but the states can. If Bannon is innocent he will have his day in court in front of a juy of his own peers just like anyone else.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:28 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Trump didn't pardon people because they were innocent or based on evidence he pardoned them based on loyalty. Bannon and other Trump cronies thought they had a get-out-of-jail-free card as long as Trump was president.

The feds can't go after Bannon anymore but the states can. If Bannon is innocent he will have his day in court in front of a juy of his own peers just like anyone else.
Trump pardoned people who had enough information to cook his goose if they flipped and talked. You’ll never make me believe he was altruistic enough to reward anybody for anything. Manafort, Flynn, Stone, Bannon - any one of them could single-handedly put Trump away for life.

As per normal, EVERYTHING is ALWAYS about Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies