Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 09:19 AM

1,929 posts, read 559,944 times

Advertisements

Maybe some are wearing a mask because their workplace still requires it. Perhaps some because it covers some flaws in their features and they prefer them hidden. Others just may be used to it after two years of mandates. Some may even think it protects them. I'm sure the reasons vary, but I don't think it odd when I see it.

I still wear them in medical settings but that is about it, unless I forget to take it off until I'm driving down the road. We've gotten used to it for so long it can become like putting on a hat, just done automatically. (Yeah, I know not everyone wears hats....myself included)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 09:27 AM

270 posts, read 92,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Yes, because no one else on this forum ever casts sweeping generalizations about anyone else based on their race, color, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
I try not to. But do you think it is constructive to make a generalization like that? Just because others do something wrong doesn't make it any less wrong or divisive.

My aunt was twice mugged by young male Mexican gang members in Los Angeles. Ponderosa's statement "The right wing is so upset about masks that they are going around photographing" would be like me saying Mexicans or young people or men are muggers.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:28 AM

13,776 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
There is a funny joke here but I’m not gonna touch it.
No way.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:07 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
Mask wearing in my area signals: "I'm a tourist/not a local, I'm from the NE states."

Every time.

YMMV.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:11 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,154,082 times
The only place I noticed a significant number of people wearing masks was on a recent cross-country flight. I still wear a mask in public settings, but I'm typically the only one.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:46 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I have routinely seen Asian people wear masks during winter flu season and allergy season for many years now. I think many Asian nations have embraced mask wearing for decades and there was no stigma against it and it was encouraged. Many Asian Americans heard the word "Covid" and willingly masked up long before any mandates.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Asians wear face masks at higher rates than anybody else, as it is a normal part of many Asian cultures.

I have no clue if 3rd Gen US born Asians wear masks or not, but I personally know plenty of US born Asians and their children who choose to wear masks routinely, and are still wearing them now since Omicron was pushed and now this new 5 variant or what the heck.

Many Asian Americans will mask up at the drop of a hat.
Asians born in Asia wear masks for multiple reasons
1) pollution in Asia
2) don’t want to get a tan because being light skinned is the standard of beauty in Asia
3) a culture of “yes sir” to authority in Asia
4) multiple of recent breakout infectious diseases originated in Asia prior to covid

Old 09-13-2022, 03:54 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,399,479 times
I see masks being worn by people who believe they are higher risk, no matter what race, and race is a component of overall risk. It’s the smart thing to do, to wear a good mask to minimize your risk as much as possible. I don’t wear one anymore, but my mom, in her late 70s wears one when things are crowded.

Last edited by STL74; 09-13-2022 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-13-2022, 06:12 PM

1,017 posts, read 788,197 times
A lot of people look at masks as a security blanket they feel safe behind a mask.

I do see very few people wear masks on in stores and restaurants.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:18 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
I like having a small portion of the public still wearing masks. I know who to stay away from. I don’t think it’s a racial thing though.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:39 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Serious question here....
Yeah. Serious questins ----

1. How do we count mask wearage, to see if you are right?
2. What if more masks were worn by poor people? Or more unemployed? Or more non-parents? Or more non-car-owners? Or dog-owners? Or more people who pay by plastic?
3. Wat would it matter?
4. Who are the people who would notice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies